Superstar Gemini

mummsie

Today Star have released the following short sector options for sale till sold out, so anyone in Australia who wants to do a short sample cruise on a sensational boat then any of these are the go :

1. 2 nights Sydney - Brisbane one way departing 09/12/07

2. 6 nights Sydney - Cairns one way departing 18/01/08

3. 4 nights Brisbane - Cairns one way departing 20/01/08

4. 6 nights Cairns - Sydney one way departing 24/01/08

5. 3 nights Brisbane - Cairns one way departing 01/02/08

6. 4 nights Brisbane - Sydney - Brisbane round trip departing 28/01/08

Hi EOnboard

Was good to hear about your luck on the cruise, we are booked into the same suite, but have paid the pretty price for it, but figure it is our one off treat and it sounds like it is wonderful. We leave from Bali in just over a week so can't wait to spend the afternoon on the balcony with a bottle of bubbly. Hope we have as much fun as you guys did. This is my second trip on the Gemini and I love the intimacy of it, not too many people, get to know plenty on board and found it just so relaxing.

Good luck to all you cruisers!

cheers

Neens:o

Hi Neeney - welcome to CC.

Looks as though we'll both be embarking from Bali on the 22nd. We fly out on Saturday 17th.

There are three other CC members on this cruise (Tascat, Kontiki & 99fireproof) and we plan to meet in the Gemini Bar at 4.00 pm on Friday 23rd (sea day). So I hope you will join us. I have printed the Cruise Critic header and have a little koala that will hold it, this will be on the table to identify us!!

So, look forward to meeting you then, if not before in Bali.

Vera

Hi Vera, sounds like you will be having a nice little gathering of CC members at the Bar Gemini. It is really outgoing and nice of you to arrange for this meet up. Hope you all have a wonderful cruise aboard Gemini and a great experience.

Mike

Hi Vera, Oh I truly wish I was able to join you and all the others, but unfortunately, my schedule does not permit it. Perhaps some other voyage.

Just have a great time and gather up wonderful experiences and memories.

Mike

Today Star have released the following short sector options for sale till sold out, so anyone in Australia who wants to do a short sample cruise on a sensational boat then any of these are the go :

1. 2 nights Sydney - Brisbane one way departing 09/12/07

I found out about this one yesterday and dearly want to do it but my hubby is saying no :( What a wonderful opportunity it would be to 'sample' such a wonderful ship. I even have leave approved already for that time so it would be perfect! Darn men!! I'll keep working on him though ;) Might have to go alone :p

Why does'nt your husband want to at least give it a trial ? They had to drag me on board SS LEO for Melbourne - Sydney in 2004 and pay for me before I reluctantly agreed to go . From the moment I got on board STAR I was sold and all my pre-conceived ideas about cruising were just blown away . Now here I am late 2007 with SS VIRGO Singapore - Penang - Phuket (2005), Norwegian Wind (Alaska 2006), SS GEMINI Singapore - Hong Kong (2007) under the belt . These additional cruises with STAR booked already : SS GEMINI Sydney - Singapore (Jan 2008), SS GEMINI Hong Kong - Singapore (June 2008), and SS VIRGO Hong Kong - Singapore (October 2008). Not bad for a guy they had to drag on board kicking and screaming (WELL VIRTUALLY !) in February 2004 for his first cruise !

Suggestion - you get another couple to come along with you, so your husband has another guy to get away with . Its much more fun when you go with friends . SS GEMINI will only be in Aus this once, (as vessel has been sold) , and it may be a while till STAR comes back to Aus with another vessel . So suggest that you don't miss this opportunity .

The secret to cost effective cruising which enables my budget to stretch so far is three fold , and cruising holidays are very good value compared to Australian home holidays .

1. Book early and get the Earlybird pricing that saves up to 40 %. Many people are not prepared to do this and it costs dearly not to book well ahead.

2. Join Star Cruiser Card (free) and earn "brownie" points towards future Star cruises. (Reduces the cost of future cruises). I use my credit to pay on board accounts.

3. Look for the placement cruises like SS VIRGO and SS AQUARIUS which each do a Singapore - Hong Kong and Hong Kong - Singapore trip in 2008.

e:g: Outside Stateroom with balcony is $ 1000 Aus for 5 nights pp which is exceptional value for your meals, transport and accommodation .

SS VIRGO October 2008 Hong Kong - Singapore also offers bar credit

$ 2000 HK per cabin with most Staterooms. ($ 2000 HK = $ 285 Aus).

(SS Virgo placement Singapore - Hong Kong 28/03/08 & Hong Kong - Singapore 19/10/08; SS AQUARIUS Hong Kong - Singapore 24/03/08 and Singapore - Hong Kong 24/10/08.)

Further if you are in Australia and your TA books through one particular Cruise Wholesaler your $ spend on cruise purchase also earns Qantas frequent flyer points which reduces ones cost of air travel to/from Asia.

Finally you can subscribe to on line last minute cruise offers and if you have passport and are able to travel at the drop of a hat there are also some sensational cruises available even on popular routes like Vancouver - Alaska. (Like $ 700 US for 7 days pp.)

To all those coming to Singapore to join GEMINI on Sunday next 18/11 bound for Australia, have a great cruise.

If you have not sailed on GEMINI before you will have a great cruise on a lovely vessel with a crew that is just sensational .

If you have sailed on GEMINI before then you already know that it's one of very few repeat travel experiences where the repeat visits just get better and better .

Mike, maybe you can help me : typhoons and wet season ; we are going on Gemini ,doing the 21 day cruiose round Asia early June.Hubby wants to know re typhoons. Yes I know I can look it up, but you may know better !

cheers Maggy/helga

The secret to cost effective cruising which enables my budget to stretch so far is three fold , and cruising holidays are very good value compared to Australian home holidays .

1. Book early and get the Earlybird pricing that saves up to 40 %. Many people are not prepared to do this and it costs dearly not to book well ahead.

2. Join Star Cruiser Card (free) and earn "brownie" points towards future Star cruises. (Reduces the cost of future cruises). I use my credit to pay on board accounts.

3. Look for the placement cruises like SS VIRGO and SS AQUARIUS which each do a Singapore - Hong Kong and Hong Kong - Singapore trip in 2008.

e:g: Outside Stateroom with balcony is $ 1000 Aus for 5 nights pp which is exceptional value for your meals, transport and accommodation .

SS VIRGO October 2008 Hong Kong - Singapore also offers bar credit

$ 2000 HK per cabin with most Staterooms. ($ 2000 HK = $ 285 Aus).

(SS Virgo placement Singapore - Hong Kong 28/03/08 & Hong Kong - Singapore 19/10/08; SS AQUARIUS Hong Kong - Singapore 24/03/08 and Singapore - Hong Kong 24/10/08.)

Further if you are in Australia and your TA books through one particular Cruise Wholesaler your $ spend on cruise purchase also earns Qantas frequent flyer points which reduces ones cost of air travel to/from Asia.

Finally you can subscribe to on line last minute cruise offers and if you have passport and are able to travel at the drop of a hat there are also some sensational cruises available even on popular routes like Vancouver - Alaska. (Like $ 700 US for 7 days pp.)

Hi there, a question from a Sydneysider... I like the look of some cruises next year (Oct 08) Singapore - Singapore, but do you know how I can find out if there are any Gemini cruises leaving Sydney that time of year? Thank you. (I have just done my virgin cruise with P&O and am a cruise convert!)

Superstar GEMINI Australian season is a oncer this Summer 07/08, and at this stage STAR have not announced an Australian season for any vessel over Summer 08/09 .

So if you want to do Sydney - Singapore on Superstar GEMINI there is one date only departing Sydney 30/01/08 for 18 days via Brisbane , Cairns, Milne Bay, Darwin, Bali and Komodo . Some cabins still available.

Here are your STAR itineraries for Asia (out of Singapore & Hong Kong as posted currently for 2008 ):

www.cruising.com.au/templates/search.jsp?partner=&region=296&cruiseline=30&cruiseship=&cruisedate=&duration=&ports=[/url]

I cannot find any Sydney - Singapore cruises around 10/08 for you; but Holland America Line have "Amsterdam" departing Singapore on 22/10/08 for Sydney via Fremantle. Other possibilities are Princess Cruises departing Fremantle on Sun Princess (round trip to Asia return Freo) departing 06/05/08, 21/05/08 & 11/06/08. And Dawn Princess departing Sydney on 07/03/09 one way to Hong Kong .

Hope the above helps .

Hi All

We have booked our first cruise on the Gemini in June 2008 going from Singapore to Hong Kong. We have travelled to Asia quite a bit but this is our first cruise. I have been reading this forum for the past couple of weeks and at times is better than a good book. Most questions I had have been answered in past posts however I have just a couple more if someone can help.

Someone talked about a Hue tour in Danang, Vietnam can I have more information about this tour.

We are not big drinkers I have read the prices of Beer and Cocktails can anyone give me the prices of soft drinks onboard.

And lastly I get seasick and my son who is in the Navy tells me to get a cabin deep and to the rear, is this good advise or is he setting me up?

Thanks to all the people on this forum who have contributed as the information provided is very helpful.

Cheers,

Al

We did the same cruise last year and only regret was that we did not go right around and back to Singapore, so we are going back this year to do the second half Hong Kong to Singapore . You will have a ball especially on SS GEMINI which is a sensational boat with a 7 star crew that give exceptional service and best of all they enjoy the cruise as much as the passengers. The secret relax, roll with the punches and soak in the Gemini magic.

Sea sickness - think your son is setting you up . Firstly we found the South China sea like a mill pond and biggest swell we had was 2m and with the stabilizers Gemini just cut straight through it rock steady . If you're really concerned (i) buy and wear a Korjo travel sickness wrist band (available at Korjo stand at good travel agencies), (ii) movement tablets are free on request at reception on board (iii) forget about getting seasick and you probably won't .

Finally if any cabins get less effect of really heavy swells then they are midships, but the difference is marginal. Forget about it .

The Tour Highlights we considered to be : Koh Samui - Elephant riding

Laem Chebang - Long day to Bangkok but worth it Ho Chi Minh City - Friday : pedi-cab city tour Saturday - City Highlights tour Da Nang - the best tour of our whole trip HUE HIGHLIGHTS just stunning .

e-mail me direct at kuldalai@pipeline.com.au and I will mail you back the complete 2006 Tour options and pricing for that cruise .

Alcholic beverages and soft drinks on board at bar prices - quite reasonable.

Go to Star website and joinup for STAR CRUISER CARD (Free) you do it on line, where it says identity card # ignore that is for Malaysians only . They will join you up, send you a conforming e-mail and you collect your card at Reception immediately on boarding GEMINI. Swipe the card at reception to activate it and you get brownie points for your cabin purchase, and automatically for all your on board purchases on your separate cabin card (acts as your door key too!) . Then when you settle your on board account you can use your brownie points to offset that account (conditions apply).

Trust this helps .

Hi All

Big Al, no need to worry about sea sickness, as Kuldalai says it is like a mill pond most of the time, we were in an inside stateroom on Deck 4 and didn't even know if we were moving sometimes, just relax and enjoy.

At the reasonable prices of alcohol on board you should take it up and give the soft drinks a miss!

Cheers

Les

Strictly speaking the Typhoon Season runs from April to September with the Hong Kong area getting average 3 typhoons of serious size over that time frame each year .

BUT the forecasting in advance is very good, and STAR would not be operating the vessels if it were unsafe to do so . What happens is the ships course may be altered to avoid any rough weather, or sailing may be delayed a day or so . Don't worry about it . If you are unlucky enough to be affected STAR will work around it, as SAFETY of both passengers and crew is their number 1 priority at all times .