Question while packing.....

sunflower1972

Hi all.....is it OK to bring a small size travel iron on board or do they consider more of a fire risk then other appliances, and curling irons people bring on?? I understand they have irons in the laundry areas but what shape are these in?

Any ideas appreciated........

They do have irons/boards in the laundry rooms. The ones I have seen are in very good shape. I always carry a small travel iron no matter where I go land or sea. Same as I do at home I unplug it as soon as I am done. I make sure I have plenty of time to let it cool before I leave the room. It is no different than having a curling iron or a flat iron for your hair.

Again, just have plenty of time to let it cool before you leave your stateroom.:)

i have been on 7 princess cruises and i always bring my travel iron..if you try to use the ones on the ship you might never get to use one their is only a laundry on every other floor and only one iron per room and with 14 floors for guest space that is only 7 irons for 3100 people you do the math? i just pack it in my checked bag and i always leave it out in the room and no trouble. hope this helps!! Chef Brian:p

Clothes irons are expressly forbidden (as are candles) in your contract. It's in your tickets, the cruise answer booklet, and in any brochure. It's also published on the website. You should really read it - I know - it's fine print - but you really need to be familiar with the information there.

Irons are readily available in the self-serve laundries or you can send things out via your steward to be pressed.

Downy Wrinkle Releaser (re-pack in a small spray bottle) is a good alternative. If for no other reason, I don't pack a travel iron because of the weight. Even the tiny ones are pretty heavy and don't really do a good job anyway. Besides, what are a few wrinkles? You're on vacation!!!

One of the biggest fire hazards is smoking. How many people on cruise ships smoke in bed? How many smoke in bed, or anywhere else in their cabin, after imbibing for the better part of the evening?

Irons don't get me nervous, but intoxicated smokers do! Let's get the cruise ships to ban smoking, along with the iron ban. (retired firefighter).

Okay, now I am going to head for the bunker for protection from the retaliatory strikes :D

I found the laundry rooms on our last cruise to be totally vacant every time I went in....I used the iron and board everyday and never had to wait....I was EXPRESSly told in no uncertain terms by both the TA and the cruise line not to bring an iron....

Everyone says they turn it off.....but what about someone that might not be as careful as you are?? It isnt worth the risk...

I agree, smoking is risky in terms of a fire danger....I wish cruise ships would impose no smoking rules in the cabins just as hotels have done in most rooms and have designated areas for smokers....but I dont see that happening.

Thank-you to everyone for your thoughts on the matter.....I have no issue not taking one if that is the rules. I do find it interesting however people walk on with coffee makers that are 'heating devices' (as the term is in the contract) and that is fine. Just IMHO. If irons are on the ship and in good shape I have no problem leaving it at home....less weight to carry around.

Totally agree people smoking in bed is a huge risk.....much more so then a clothing iron. Just seems odd no irons in your cabin, but feel free to light up in the cabin....anyhow, enough on that....the iron will stay home:)

I am trying to decide if it is appropriate to take my brew and go coffee maker with me...It is fairly compact....so space isnt an issue. I dont want to break any rules but the thought of drinking the coffee on The Grand for a week is not appealing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the biggest fire hazards is smoking. How many people on cruise ships smoke in bed? How many smoke in bed, or anywhere else in their cabin, after imbibing for the better part of the evening?

Irons don't get me nervous, but intoxicated smokers do! Let's get the cruise ships to ban smoking, along with the iron ban. (retired firefighter).

This makes me nervous when I start to think about it! That being said,just because its not...IRONS MAKE ME NERVOUS TOO :)

I came way TOO close to fire once (the house next door) and it damaged some of my property,so I HATE fires!!

So,please leave your candles,irons,and cigs at home :)

Dot

after our last cruise I am now a firm "Downy Wrinkle Release" believer. I was shocked at how well it worked.

Also, I ironed my dresses and skirts at home, brought them in a garment bag, and had only slight wrinkles to worry about.

I was on the Grand and never had a problem finding an iron to use in the laundry room.

Archived