Bottled water

tjcletzgo

46 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

there are two sources of water ( seawater and port water). Seawater is processed by wither desalination or reversed osmosis which is done on almost all ships. I would find it very hard to believe the cruise line would pay for water from islands like St. Maarten which would be very expensive. And just getting off Oasis last week i didn't see any waterline connected at St. Thomas or St. Maarten 

It is not a given where and when they do it, but they can and do take on water at ports.  Saw them take a lot of water on in Grenada this last time, the time before...they did not.  

But what do I know...I am just a "newbie" cruiser.  😉 

Edited by island lady

7 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

tap water on board the ship if very saline so that why some people prefer bottled water. I for one buy the bottle water along with free bottle water from the lounge.  To say the desalination water made on the ship is more pure than bottled water is funny... it takes more processing to make seawater potable   

You don't understand the process.

There are two ways they make water on board.  One is simple distillation, boil the water, collect the steam, condense back to water.  Pure water.  They use the waste heat from the engine exhaust.

The second is reverse osmosis.  This is used in seaside cities in dry countries to make water.  Also by the military to purify water.  Basically, you put high pressure water against a membrane that has pore smaller then the dissolved solids in the water.  Only water squeezes through.

Both methods produce water purer than anything in nature except a cloud.   It is so pure, it strips ions from the pipes, so on the ship, they actually add some salts to protect the plumbing.  But still, more pure than most bottled water.