Price drop, cabin upgrade?

Haven't cruised in a while (3 years) which I know makes me an outcast on these boards, but we are getting back in the game.  I've never booked this far in advance before but we are looking to book Feb 2020 (somewhere from the East coast, feel free to make suggestions).

My question is this, the last few times we cruised, prices of cabins in a higher category dropped to what we had paid for ours.  I called the cruise line and they moved us directly into the higher category.  Does this still work?  On all cruise lines?  I think both times I did it we were cruising Celebrity but I could be wrong (have also used RCC and Carnival).  

I generally like to book the cheapest room we will be ok with.  Usually an oceanview.  Then hope something higher drops in price.  I'd just like to know if this is still a viable strategy.

thanks for any help.

I look at prices and do a mock booking. If prices fall, I call and ask for a price drop if I'm happy where I'm at.  If I see prices have fallen in specific category, I'll ask what the upgrade is for my category.  Last year, I upgraded from an oceanview to a balcony for $25 total.  It was worth it to me.  I ask for everything but feel glad if the give me something.  All they can say is no.  🙂

Until you make your final payment you can always cancel and rebook.  Just make sure that all other things are equal.  (For example, your original reservation included perks like free beverage package and free on board credit...does the new rate include the same?  Or is the cost of the new cabin so much better that you can repurchase those items and still come out ahead?)

After final payment, you can still call and ask.  You never know what, if anything, you'll be offered.  I've received upgraded cabins.  I've received free OBC.  I even got chocolate covered strawberries once.  You just never know.