Galaxy from Galveston

nightnurse

We just booked a cruise to the Panama Canal on the Galaxy April 13th. So excited to be cruising again!! A few questions though.....what is the best way to get back and forth from Houston Airport to Galveston? We would like to stay and look around an extra day....any hotel suggestions? Also, how is the Galaxy? I know it's older, we've been on the Mercury and the Summit. We've booked a Y category, and I'm hoping we don't end up with a porthole!I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a balcony.

Any advice is appreciated!!

I don't see one ... only the general "United States" board ... there's a fair number of discussions there on the Galveston/Houston transportation question but mixed up among other parts of the country ... am I missing the Galveston port board somewhere else? (We're on the April 1 Galaxy cruise and I am also still trying to figure out the best way to get from IAH to Galveston. We're flying in late the night before, because I am terrified by the idea of cutting it too close :) so we may just pick up a rental car and do it that way, but man! the prices are high, we're looking at $100 on a reservation I've tentatively made.) -- TR

Hi,

We sail on the Galaxy in two weeks. We have booked the Hotel Galvez on Galveston Island for a 1-night pre-cruise. Also, we have arranged transportation with Galveston Limo from IAH to the hotel.

Galveston Limo website is: http://www.galvestonlimo.com

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Don and Kathie

We just booked a cruise to the Panama Canal on the Galaxy April 13th. So excited to be cruising again!! A few questions though.....what is the best way to get back and forth from Houston Airport to Galveston? We would like to stay and look around an extra day....any hotel suggestions? Also, how is the Galaxy? I know it's older, we've been on the Mercury and the Summit. We've booked a Y category, and I'm hoping we don't end up with a porthole!I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to a balcony.

Any advice is appreciated!!

Heading out:

If (an I could recommend it) you would like to spend a few extra days in Galveston before you depart, Enterprise offers one way rentals from IAH to Galveston. They'll take you to the pier when you drop off the car. They normally add a $40 drop fee, but their rental prices are cheap.

If not, check www.galvestonlimousineservice.com. They have service both ways, and believe me, after the fiasco trying to get back to IAH on Celebrity's buses (that never showed up) on 12/17, I wish I'd done just that.

There's always the option of the ship's buses from the airport to the pier. Then again, see above.

Heading back:

Any of the above can be done in reverse as well.

Hi there,

We were on this ship and had an absolutely wonderful time. Sadly it's over (SIGH!!!) The ship is in really good shape. After reading the boards I truly expected to find a lot of problems. There are some minor things but the overall appearance and maintenance is wonderful.

We were not able to stay in Galveston at all at that was really disappointing. I really wanted to visit for a while. I guess it means I will have to take another cruise out of there LOL

Although our cruise was awesome from the time we boarded the ship until the time we got off the ship. Our transfers, however, to and from the airport, through Celebrity were the WORST!!!!!!!!!!!! We had to wait at the airport for almost two hours. We were given two different reasons for the delays of the busses. Everything seems sooooo disorganized. There was no place to sit. It was really very frustrating. We have friends that did different things. One family rented a car at the airport and drove to Galveston. They said it was a pretty direct route and not difficult at all. The rental company I believe is Entreprise and they have one way service. I think their fee was $29 getting to Galveston. It was more getting back to the airport though. Another family took a private shuttle to Galveston. The price was $100 for a family of four. Our transfers were more than that. However, this private shuttle does stop at different locations enroute.

Our transfers back to the airport left us at the wrong terminal with all our luggage in hand and the workers at the airport were giving us different directions. We did manage to make our way to the right terminal but you would think Celebrity could organize that a bit better.

I will certainly give MUCH consideration before I use the Celebrity transfers again.

Have an awesome cruise :)

Although our cruise was awesome from the time we boarded the ship until the time we got off the ship. Our transfers, however, to and from the airport, through Celebrity were the WORST!!!!!!!!!!!!

[snip]

Our transfers back to the airport left us at the wrong terminal with all our luggage in hand and the workers at the airport were giving us different directions. We did manage to make our way to the right terminal but you would think Celebrity could organize that a bit better.

I will certainly give MUCH consideration before I use the Celebrity transfers again.

I hope you will take the time to report this to Celebrity. On our return on 12/17, the 2nd set of buses never showed up, and left everyone out in the wind/rain/cold for hours. We finally snagged a limo back to IAH. I have no idea what everyone else (a couple of hundred people) did after we left, including a large group from Germany who had an international flight.

What date was your return? After our total "Train Wreck" (search for the thread), it's unimaginable that they're still not beginning to do something to improve this.

Speaking of which, Celebrity has still not replied to the FAX (followed up with 2 phone calls to see if they even read it) that I sent them shortly after our return. Time to call them again.

Try Galveston limo...Heard great things.

Yup, the OLD Galaxy, heck she will be 10 this year, practically a rust bucket....oh, forgot, we were on her last April and will be on her again on 4-13..had two window panes with broken seals and we found a couch with a 3 inch rip in it...scuttle that ship!

If you can, be sure to make time to visit the Johnson Space Center.

If staying Galveston, visit the Chambers web site, tons of info, lots of hotel info.

Stop on over to the Celebrity Cruise connection, register for the party and say hello on the april 13, 2006 group message thread.

See you on 4-13.

Hi canderson,

We were on the December 29/05 sailing on Celebrity. I definitely sent off a letter to Celebrity. I initially tried to just send them a note on their site where is says "contact us". I guess I had too much to say LOL as I went over my limit LOL I contacted their customer service department and they gave me the following email address: cfeedcci@celebritycruises.com to send my letter. It was two pages but I have yet to hear from them :(

Good Morning Cookie1961,

Thanks for the information regarding the transfer fiasco.

We sail on the Galaxy 2/2/06 out of Galveston. We have the Galveston Limo booked from the airport to the Hotel Galvez. And then the Celebrity transfers for the return from the cruise terminal back to IAH.

I do have a quick question.....are you saying that the transfer situation from the cruise ship back to IAH has still not improved since the 12/17/05 "Train Wreck Nightmare"??

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Don and Kathie

Hi canderson,

We were on the December 29/05 sailing on Celebrity. I definitely sent off a letter to Celebrity. I initially tried to just send them a note on their site where is says "contact us". I guess I had too much to say LOL as I went over my limit LOL I contacted their customer service department and they gave me the following email address: cfeedcci@celebritycruises.com to send my letter. It was two pages but I have yet to hear from them :(

Thanks for that address. I have copied my original 12/19/05 FAX into an email to that address. We will see if anyone responds. Like you, I had a wonderful time EXCEPT for this awful trip ending experience:

Here's what I originally sent:

FAX

19 December 2005

To: Celebrity Captain’s Club

FAX: 1-305-373-4384

Booking #: 000XXXX, Cabin 1202

Email: earl.Anderson@xxxxxxx.net

Phone: 1-303-XXX-XXXX

PAGE 1 OF 2

In our many cruises with Celebrity, this is the first occasion upon which I have found a situation to be so unacceptable as to bring it to your attention. Specifically, the transport situation following the disembarkation of Galaxy in Galveston on 17 December 2005 was a complete fiasco.

In possession of our Celebrity bus transfer vouchers to IAH, I felt confident in our timely return to the airport. Prior experiences have led me to believe that this would be handled efficiently. Not so this time.

Our scheduled pre-disembarkation time to convene in the lounge was 9:20am. We were called (Red 4) at about 9:50am for disembarkation. So far, so good. I was pleased to find that you have dispensed with the great circle route through the Celebrity Theater for initial immigration document checks.

Luggage pickup was as straightforward as it has ever been – not just by color, but correctly sorted by number as well. Another plus. We found our way through Customs in a reasonable amount of time, and that’s where it all fell apart.

The initial “wave” of buses headed for IAH were just finishing the loading of passengers ahead of us, and were full, and were leaving for the airport. It was very windy, cold (about 45 degrees) and raining. We remained under the canopy outside of the terminal to stay as dry as possible. We began our wait for another bus at about 10:20am. By 11:00, there were still no additional buses. No one at the pier took the time to provide an explanation. During this time, more and more people had disembarked, and there was no longer room under the canopy for everyone, and some were standing in the cold, blowing rain.

Finally at about 12:00, after we’d been waiting for an hour and forty minutes, someone finally advised us that the additional buses were no-shows, and that the company contracted to provide them was providing no answers at all. We were told to expect that no additional buses would be available for between one and three hours. By now, all passengers and crew had disembarked, and the Customs folks agreed to allow those on the curb to re-enter the baggage area to stay dry and to get warm.

The only alternatives were a handful of taxis (the taxi line, such as it was, was a good 75 yards away in a completely exposed area) and a few limousines. Services such as Galveston Limousine were only taking passengers that had pre-booked and prepaid.

PAGE 2 OF 2

At about 12:30, after waiting for two hours and ten minutes for the “Celebrity” bus, we were fortunate enough to obtain the services of a limousine, and with some luck with Houston traffic, just barely made our 2:35pm flight. If not for that, due to full flights, we’d have had to spend the night in Houston and hope for a flight out on Sunday. I have no idea what finally became of the hundreds of others that we left behind waiting for buses or searching for alternate transportation, some with international connections.

While I understand that Celebrity does not hire buses, you are responsible for contracting for these services, and I’m sure you understand that a disembarkation of this nature can undo all of the good memories that your “Xcellent” shipboard experience provides. First time Celebrity cruisers who were caught in this situation are not likely to be repeat guests. After our second cruise with Celebrity – one from Charleston, SC (a bit of a fiasco in its own right – we were on your 2nd cruise from that poorly situated port several years ago), we nearly made a similar decision.

I cannot be overly emphatic in my belief that the post-cruise disembarkation experience needs to be handled as carefully and with the same level of service provided shipboard. The last memory of a cruise needs to be as positive as possible, or all of your considerable efforts to set a high standard up to that point will have been for naught. The situation as we experienced it in Galveston deserves your prompt attention.

Earl Anderson

Hi there,

Don and Kathie: After reading Earl's experience of December 17/05, I have to say our transfer back to the airport was smoother. The busses were lined up outside the terminal waiting for everyone to board. However, the Celebrity representatives couldn't tell us which bus to get on, even though we told several of them what airport terminal we needed to get to. At the airport they left us at the WRONG terminal AND all our luggage in hand. I have to tell you that was a very frustrating experience. After several attempts, we were able to make it to our terminal in time to get the plane but I certainly didn't need this aggrevation. We had only cruised once before and that was with Royal Caribbean a couple of years ago. It was a very very smooth transfer, in San Juan, Puerto Rico. We are presently booked on the Mercury sailing for December 2006. I have to tell you, I really don't think I will be using their transfers. I am sure it will be much easier to catch a cab to the terminal and back.

Earl: What a terrible disembarkation. I can't believe they could leave all those people stranded at the cruise terminal. How about Celebrity's responsibility to ALL the people that booked their air portion of the vacation with them?? They just left there and some I am sure would have missed their flights. I will definitely go back to the boards and read the thread you mentioned. Who should I be calling to make sure I get a response to my letter??

Thanks everyone,

Teri

Hi, Teri,

Thanks for the info. After reading this, I am definitely booking return transfers with the Galveston Limo. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond.

I will cancel our pre-paid transfers with Celebrity when we board the Galaxy on 2/2/06. I wish you a wonderful cruise...

Regards,

Don and Kathie

Earl: What a terrible disembarkation. I can't believe they could leave all those people stranded at the cruise terminal. How about Celebrity's responsibility to ALL the people that booked their air portion of the vacation with them?? They just left there and some I am sure would have missed their flights. I will definitely go back to the boards and read the thread you mentioned. Who should I be calling to make sure I get a response to my letter??

Thanks everyone,

Teri

I sent a FAX off to the FAX number listed for the Captain's Club (1-305-373-4384), and then followed up with several phone calls (1-800-760-0654). I still have no idea if the FAX has even been read.

As it happened, we had not booked air through Celebrity, only the transfers, so if we had missed our flight, we'd have been really out of luck. There were many others left there on the pier that had booked air through Celebrity, and as I understand it, it would have been Celebrity's responsibility to put people up for the night and arrange their alternate flights the next day.

Several of the large group of Germans crusing with us were particularly upset as they said it was critical that they get back to work on Monday. I had heard that a special bus was being ordered for them, but don't know if it arrived or if they got there in time. BTW: one of them set a Guiness record (all planned ahead) on our cruise for running the fastest 10K on a cruise ship jogging track. He could probably have run back to IAH faster:D

Here's the other thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=267895

According to the folks at the port was a one time anomoly. Thank God!

Multpile ships all had a crisis that day...Conbination of 8,000 bodies moving in and out. Our debarkation and debarkation the previous week was as smooth a a baby's butt.

Hi there!

I just wanted to let you know that after careful research (Celebrity transfers, Galveston Limo, and rental cars) we almost booked with Celebrity...........the rental car info I found in the internet also put our reservation for a mid-sized car at about $100!!!! So my advice is to call Enterprise directly! We are also flying in late the night before, and Enterprise has promised me a mid-sized car for only about $30.00 -- no drop off fee! They will also give you the number of the Enterprise location there in Galveston, (I still need to call them) to find out if we can get a car on our return. Hope to help someone!

Hi there!

I just wanted to let you know that after careful research (Celebrity transfers, Galveston Limo, and rental cars) we almost booked with Celebrity...........the rental car info I found in the internet also put our reservation for a mid-sized car at about $100!!!! So my advice is to call Enterprise directly!

You'll need to do that anyway. I even tried to book the one-way directly on Enterprise's site, and they just don't have any facility for that. Called them, and the process suddenly became very easy. If you can get the car without a drop fee, more power to you. Sometimes they charge the $40, sometimes they blow it off, and evidently according to your quote, don't even charge it at times.

If you pick up the wheels pre-cruise, they will prefer that you drop the luggage at the pier, drive down to the 5900 Broadway site and drive you back, but we were able to talk them into letting us pick their guy up and drop everything off in one shot. Since part of our group (we had a mini-van) was already staying out just a block or two from their Broadway office, it worked out better for us that way.

If you can get by with a smaller vehicle, their rates are quite good. Not even too bad for the mini-van.

There are two typical ways of getting to Galveston from the airport. Which way makes more sense (usually) depends entirely upon the day and time you arrive. You can head straight south through town if you're "off peak", but you'll find that Houston's traffic is pretty heavy most of the time. The alternative is to take the beltway east out of the airport, and connect back up with the interstate on the south end of town for the rest of the trip down to Galveston. On a good day, the direct route through town can be faster, but carries a much higher risk of delays. The beltway is more miles, but less chance of major tie ups.

We returned on the Galaxy on Jan 9.....I reserved a Town Car to pick us up with Emerald Limo. When we got through customs, we called them on our cell.... they were waiting for our call and were there in 5 minutes. The driver dropped us off at the Southwest terminal at Houston Hobby about 40 minutes later. We were honestly through customs and at the airport in less than an hour. They also go to IAH airport which would take longer. It cost us $75 for the four of us plus $10 tip. In my opinion, it's the only way to go.

I'm sorry for giving advice about consulting the "Galveston Board" on this website! I got my wires crossed from two recent cruises. We found a good deal of informatin on the ROLL CALL BOARD for our sailing, since many people who sail out of Galveston are Texans or relative locals.

Accept my apology for the mistake. It sounds like you're getting some solid advice from the folks who are responding.

P.S. Our transfer experience to and from IAH to the port was quite positive with the Celebrity-contracted bus service.

There are two typical ways of getting to Galveston from the airport. Which way makes more sense (usually) depends entirely upon the day and time you arrive. You can head straight south through town if you're "off peak", but you'll find that Houston's traffic is pretty heavy most of the time. The alternative is to take the beltway east out of the airport, and connect back up with the interstate on the south end of town for the rest of the trip down to Galveston. On a good day, the direct route through town can be faster, but carries a much higher risk of delays. The beltway is more miles, but less chance of major tie ups.

Canderson, if we are leaving the IAH area by 9 am on Saturday morning, which is the best way to go?

Canderson, if we are leaving the IAH area by 9 am on Saturday morning, which is the best way to go?

Based upon our limited experience, I'd say you're OK to head straight on down I-45. Might save you a few minutes. The only exception would be if it's raining. For some reason, the locals don't seem to manage rain very well!

I'd have loved to have gone into Hobby instead, but until / if S.W. opens up flights from Denver, it just isn't practical.

Hi there!

I just wanted to let you know that after careful research (Celebrity transfers, Galveston Limo, and rental cars) we almost booked with Celebrity...........the rental car info I found in the internet also put our reservation for a mid-sized car at about $100!!!! So my advice is to call Enterprise directly! We are also flying in late the night before, and Enterprise has promised me a mid-sized car for only about $30.00 -- no drop off fee! They will also give you the number of the Enterprise location there in Galveston, (I still need to call them) to find out if we can get a car on our return. Hope to help someone!

I would have them put that no drop off fee in writing. I was thrilled to get a cheap car with enterprise, then after adding the drop off fee. YIKES. and then to make matters worse, the ONLY thing available at enterprise in Galveston was a $75.00 SUV.

We ended up using a limo. Very easy, dependable and comfortable. This is the only draw back with cruising out of Galveston. Its quite a drive from the airport. And not a cheap one. I find good prices on cruises, out of Galveston, then when I add transportation, its not so good any more.:(

We will arrive around midnight the night before the cruise.

Can either get the rent-a-car then (Enterprise is not open that late so it's Hertz or nothing, so far as I can tell) and go to a hotel near Houston airport to sleep, or drive to a hotel in/near Galveston to sleep. We're on West Coast time so it won't really be an issue of the lateness (and two of the three of us are night owls). Will there be bad traffic on Sat. morning that will make us wish we had driven to Galveston that night, or does it not matter? How is the hotel district near IAH anyway? thanks for any advice -- TR (4/1/06 Galaxy)

Archived