Mobility access options at embarkation

adelaidefc

I posted a question in @CruzLover80's Bellissima review and didn't want to hijack the great thread any further, so I thought I'd start a new one. 

I'm boarding what appears to be a pretty sold out Bellissima from Barcelona in May, and I'm getting a bit worried about embarkation. It's my first ever cruise so I'm a complete newbie to everything and I also have some mobility issues that make standing for long periods quite uncomfortable. I didn't think it was significant enough to warrant noting it to MSC but from the review and subsequent replies there's not quite enough seats in the Barcelona waiting area after security just before you embark, and you could be there for potentially even a couple of hours. Standing for that length of time would leave me in enough pain to mess up the rest of the cruise, and sitting on the ground wouldn't be great either. 

So I took the advice of @hlperez and called MSC Australia, but the only option that was given was to note in the booking a requirement for a wheelchair. I'm really reluctant to take this option - I don't need a wheelchair to walk (yet 🤔) and would feel absolutely awful skipping queues and being wheeled around then just jumping off the chair to get on the ship to head to the bar! 

Does anyone know if there's a middle ground that people have been offered (or seen offered) by MSC? Disability can come in all forms and I don't want to take away resources from those with more serious ailments, but I also would like to reduce the risk of myself ending up in a lot of pain too. 

Given it's my first cruise, are there any other times (i.e. safety drills, disembarkation etc) that could catch me out having to be standing for more than 20mins or so?

Edited by adelaidefc
Extra question :)

Good morning!! I do want to point out that you should be able to get there before your embarkation time and may be able to attain a seat. We may have just gotten there at peak time but sure there wasn’t enough seats because well it’s a large ship and there was construction going on in some area that maybe might be done before you go. I don’t want to discourage you, but it was something I observed for a couple of hours. Certainly you can catch a seat when peoples number is called. That’s where the 16 yr old comes into play. I hope you get the answer you need. 

I don't know with regard to your first question but relating to the muster, the ones we've done have always been held in a lounge area or theatre. We've often had to stand if we arrive at the exact assigned time. If you arrive in plenty of time you should have no issue having a seat. 

Disembarking can involve waiting around in a lounge area for a while too but a timely arrival should ensure you get a seat. Sometimes you're off straight away anyway. We were a few minutes late for one of ours and everyone had already gone! 

Although you're understandably reluctant to book the chair assistance, I think I would in case it is busy. You really don't want to ruin your holiday before it begins.