Viking Which Danube cruise

Judy1985

Hellio all,  My husband and I have been on a Rhine river cruise and are considering a Danube Viking cruise. I see that they offer two Danube cruises.  Does anyone know how to tell which one docks closets to town?  I would lke to avoid long bus trips to attractions, like the bus trip to the Black Forest.  Thanks

I  have been on a number of Danube River cruises, some with Viking  any 1 with AMA. As a first cruise Budapest to Nuremberg I would suggest would be a good one. Almost all towns you visit you walk off the ship, or a max 30 Min bus ride, if there is enough water. 2018 in Europe river cruising was difficult because of Very Dry and warm conditions and our Bucharest to Budapest in October was cancelled with 2 days notice, but Viking had a full cash refund back in our bank within 7 days. But it has not put us off and we are back on the Danube with AMA in 3 weeks.Nothing wrong with Viking, just that this cruise fitted in with our other plans and was calling into Bratislava which I have never visited.

Edited by Mikecs

No one knows what the water levels will be like this year, but – to give yourself maximum protection against low water on the Danube – I would advise looking for cruises from Vilshofen or Passau to Budapest.  The notorious low-water area is between Vilshofen and Nuremburg.

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

No one knows what the water levels will be like this year, but – to give yourself maximum protection against low water on the Danube – I would advise looking for cruises from Vilshofen or Passau to Budapest.  The notorious low-water area is between Vilshofen and Nuremburg.

Exactly!  On our Danube Waltz cruise (Budapest to Passau) last summer,  we sailed through all the way without problems.  However, those sailing on the Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremburg) that same week had to be bused between Passau (or maybe it was Regensburg) and Nuremberg because of water problems.  

21 minutes ago, Moonlion said:

Exactly!  On our Danube Waltz cruise (Budapest to Passau) last summer,  we sailed through all the way without problems.  However, those sailing on the Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremburg) that same week had to be bused between Passau (or maybe it was Regensburg) and Nuremberg because of water problems.  

Thank you I appreciate the input. Judy

4 hours ago, Karyllynne said:

We’re booked on the Viking Budapest to Nuremberg  cruise in May - glad to hear that suggested as a good first Danube trip!

Here is a link to some of our pictures from last summer's Viking Romantic Danube.  If you go to my YouTube channel 75msk, there is some video.

https://rivercruiseonthedanube.shutterfly.com/