Haines Eagle Preserve Float & Wildlife Quest

esmo

Does anyone have recent experience/recommendation on this excursion through Holland America? I will also be asking on the Alaska board. We have been to Skagway before and done the White Pass RR trip. I wanted to see Haines this time and this sounded like an interesting excursion. Though I would like the opportunity to see more of Haines and it does not sound like we would get the chance to do that. I have done a search, but the comments I found were from some years back.

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

Hi Kathy....my husband and I will be doing our 14th cruise to Alaska in 2 months.  In our opinion Haines is one of the best port stops, it is very picturesque and really captures the essence of Alaska.

The shore excursion that we recommend is Kroschel Films Wildlife Center.  We have completed 44 cruises and this is one of the best shore excursions that we have done.  The ship will offer it.  Look at the reviews on Trip Advisor.

• Like 1

We did the excursion you are asking about several years ago and had a great time.  A lot depends upon the weather, of course, if it's rainy it can be a bit disappointing.

Most tours that originate in Skagway, don't give you much time to wander around Haines because they need to keep to the boat shuttle schedule.  However, if you can get a schedule before your trip, you may be able to stay in Haines longer and take a later shuttle (we've never done this, so I can't guarantee anything).

The one time we did that excursion, it was somewhat early in the season, and there were no eagles at all ....there was a one-day fish run of some kind of fish the eagles loved, so they had gone to that area. We did see a newborn moose and mother. We do like the Haines stop...took a custom photo tour there, too.