How much time for NZ post-cruise touring?

Moose Tracks

DH and I are on the 2/4/07 Sapphire Princess which ends in Auckland. We'd like to then rent a car and do some touring. We'll have around 10 days maximum. Would this be enough to see both the north and south islands or would we be better to just concentrate on the north island? This will probably be our only trip to NZ so would like to see as much as possible without exhausting ourselves. Would we need to have a set itinerary and make accommodation reservations in advance or would we be able to wing it and just find accommodations as we went along?

Thanks.

Lynn

We'll have around 10 days maximum. Would this be enough to see both the north and south islands or would we be better to just concentrate on the north island?
No, not IMHO. You'd only just be able to do all the highlights of the North Island in that time, without getting into anywhere or anything in depth.

If you want to avoid lots of rushing round, I'd concentrate on one island. However, as you say its likely to be your only trip to New Zealand and want to see as much as possible, maybe you could look at hiring a car in Auckland and doing a couple of the things (maybe Bay of Islands north and the thermal region south) within a day's or so's drive of Auckland, then flying to Christchurch and maybe doing the same from there. Two 5 day driving tours is achievable. The Kiwis here will no doubt have more concrete suggestions.The country is one of hte most spectacular I have seen and, imho, its worth making an effort to see both main islands if possible.

Archived