Help, Recommendations Hotel Nice & How to Get To The Port

Bonnielass

You first need to understand that Villefranche is actually a few miles east of Nice and is a tender port!   My normal recommendation would be to stay in Nice (lots of hotel options in every price range) although Villefranche does have its own hotels and resorts.  The easiest (and most expensive) way to get to your ship is to simply take a taxi.  The train line that runs between Nice and Monte Carlo (it is like a commuter train with no reservations) does stop at Villefranche, but you would then have to walk down a very long outdoor stairway.. (you can avoid that by taking a much longer walking route along the streets) which might be difficult with luggage.   There are also a few regional buses that can take you to Villefranche from Nice.  

You do not say how you plan on getting to the region.  Nice has a pretty nice airport located a couple of miles west of town and there are also good TGV train connections between Nice and some other major cities including Paris.  It is certainly worth coming to Nice at least a day early (we have spent weeks in this part of France) as you can then explore much of the French Riviera.  The towns along the coast are all connected by the train line and regional buses.  What we like about Nice is that it is pretty cosmopolitan city with plenty of decent hotels and some excellent restaurants (some with Michelin Stars).   If you do not care about a budget you could opt to stay in the Negresco which is the grande dame of hotels in this city.  We once enjoyed one of the best meals of our life in its famous restaurant (Chanteclar) but, alas, the Chef who prepared that meal has moved on to his own tiny restaurant in Nice's Old Town.  Another hotel option we like is the Meridian.  Both these hotels enjoy a perfect location along the Promanade d'Anglais.  There are also quite a few lower priced decent hotels although many do not enjoy the great location of the two I mentioned.  We enjoyed the Meridian because of its rooftop pool.  

Hank

Thank you so much for your informative responses. I did book one of the hotels mentioned located in Nice old town. When my cruise documents came through I realised that our ship docks in the Old Town Port and not Villefranche. Our hotel is a six minute walk from the port. Thanks again for all your help. 😁