Train connection to Metro in Barcelona

tdtanc

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Arriving Barcelona from Madrid Via Renfe. Pretty straight forward connecting to Metro? Stairs to navigate with 3 suitcase and 2 people. Need to get to Drassanes Metro station and walk about 3 minutes to Hotel Arc La Rambla. Apparently the metro connection is also part of my Renfe ticket so I will need to figure that part out at a kiosk I guess.

Todd

Metro connection is not part of Renfe ticket only Renfe Cercanias. You can get to Pl.Catalynia Renfe station for free with Combinado Cercanias code on your AVE ticket

Edited by hkto

Hey hkto...thanks for your response. 

Ok have the combinado cercanías code on my ticket. I am reading that you can collect and use your free transfer ticket four hours after arrival at the destination of the Long Distance-Ave train. Doesn't say anything about just getting to Pl catalunya so I assume this includes the entire metro system??

Todd

Ok. I did some more research and the TMB/Metro line is not part of the combinado cercanias. I guess this is what you were telling me. This can all be very confusing. The best option for me looks like getting a T10 card that can be shared between 2 people for 10.20 Euro.  This is good for 10 trips. 

Todd

I almost caused the end of my marriage [just joking, but it was tense!] by trying to do what you are proposing.  The train from the airport to Sants was fine.  At that point we should have taken a taxi to the hotel.  Instead we took the Metro – which does not have elevators or escalators in many stations!  Dragging our luggage up and down multiple staircases [under the watchful eye of obvious pickpockets] was not a good way to start our trip!  Taxis are cheap, and remember not to tip (more than a round-up Euro).

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I almost caused the end of my marriage [just joking, but it was tense!] by trying to do what you are proposing.  The train from the airport to Sants was fine.  At that point we should have taken a taxi to the hotel.  Instead we took the Metro – which does not have elevators or escalators in many stations!  Dragging our luggage up and down multiple staircases [under the watchful eye of obvious pickpockets] was not a good way to start our trip!  Taxis are cheap, and remember not to tip (more than a round-up Euro).

You are so right! Before my travels start I am so ambitious in my will to go with the local public transportation and then I usually come to my senses! I mean I'm on vacation right!! Why should I worry about stairs and pick pockets. Your warning is definitely noted. I feel better knowing alteast I've done the research if I'm feeling adventurous. 

Thank you.

Trip to pl.Catalynia Renfe station from Sants is about 4 min. Walk from there to hotel Arc Rambla is another 15 min. Taxi will be in 12-15€ range as surcharge is applicable to Sants pick ups.

Also if I remember correctly I used T10 on Renfe within city limits but never used Renfe ticket on metro. So if first option works then second may work also. You'll get paper ticket from Combinado Cercanias code. Can certainly try, worse thing machine on metro will reject it

I actually instant messaged the TMB Barcelona Metro and they responded pretty quickly. They said they are two different networks and it won't work. Which is fine because I am planning on getting the T10 card anyway. I have also looked into sun transfers.com and this could be an option. Of note I am happy I discovered a 3Euro cruise port shuttle bus from the base of Las Ramblas at the Columbus monument that takes you to the cruise ship. So that will save a little money. It is a 5 minute walk from Drassanes metro station. 

Thank you for the advice!

Todd