Bringing food back on ship at San Francisco port

Idacruiser77

Why don't you jut ask when you're getting off the ship if it is allowed.  They should be able to tell you.  The rule at one port might be different from another but they should know what the rule is in San Francisco.  That way you will know if you should spend your money on something or not.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, Idacruiser77 said:

I can't seem to get a 100% answer, either from message boards or Princess. We'll be in San Francisco on our West Coast cruise (leaving from LA) but was curious if we'd be able to stop by Whole Foods or anything while in port and bring the food back on. Preferably without "sneaking" it on. I know it needs to be non-perishable and prepackaged in your pre-cruise homeport but what is the rule during your cruise. Does it matter that it's a US port? 

Yes, I am aware that the ship has food on it so just figured I'd save a few of you that comment 😉 We eat a vegan diet and don't expect the cruise line to fully accommodate us so we'd like to snag some extra stuff in port if possible to make the trip a little easier. Thanks in advance everyone! 

There is a work around to get vegan meals.

You can specify a vegetarian diet in the "Accessibility & Dietary Requests" section of  Guest Checkin at the Princess website. Then once on board you can ask the head waiter to have meals modified to be vegan. From the web page:

"Vegetarian items are designated on our dining room menus with a "V" and vegetarian selections are featured in all dining locations, including the buffet. Although we do not offer a vegan menu, some vegetarian selections may be suitable to your requirements. Certain menu items, but not all, may be modified to accommodate your diet. Tofu, egg-free pasta and vegetarian burgers are available onboard and can be prepared in a variety of styles. Please liaise with your Head Waiter or the Maitre d'Hotel upon boarding to confirm suitable selections."

If there are a number of Indonesian crew members on board they may even have tempeh available.

Also the Horizon Court buffet seems to have a lot of food that is vegan or did the last time I was on board the Grand.

Good luck.