Outlander excursion reviews?

amr61

3 hours ago, amr61 said:

Could anyone that’s taken an Outlander excursion give me some info and opinions please? I can’t seem to find much. Thank you!

There are different types of tours. I am going to be doing an Outlander walking tour in Edinburgh. Basically it puts the story into the actual historic places. There are also 1-day and multi day tours that take you out of town; they seem to concentrate more on filming locations, althoughI’m sure they cover some of the history. 

I hav been looking, too, and found several by diving into “tours from Glasgow,” etc. then searching through each looking for Outlander tours. There are tours from Inverness, Edinburgh, and Glasgow. Prices are high, especially for small groups.

33 minutes ago, Marseydotes said:

I hav been looking, too, and found several by diving into “tours from Glasgow,” etc. then searching through each looking for Outlander tours. There are tours from Inverness, Edinburgh, and Glasgow. Prices are high, especially for small groups.

Actually, if you google “Outlander tours” a whole bunch come up. 

Here is our write up for our tour with http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/  We used Nigel before in 2012 and were pleased to use his company again.  Really, "Outlander" is not filmed in the Invergordon area but this is the real  Frasier country.  It was a great day, one of the best tours we have ever taken.  Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

MAY 21 We docked at the Invergordon pier this morning. Our group with Brandy and Paul, Mark and his wife,and his parents disembarked and met Johnny, our tour guide. We first visited Black Rock Gorge that was carved into the bedrock by glacial meltwater. This required a long hike on a dirt road but the view and the Scottish forest was worth the effort. Then we traveled past Inverness to Culloden House whose facade was used in the Outlander TV series. Next stop was Clava Cairns; three Bronze Age stone cairns and standing stone circles. These are less than a mile from the battlefield and suggest the stones that Claire went through when she time traveled in the Outlander TV series. At the Culloden National Trust visitor center, Johnny let us go on our own to explore the displays and movie before he took us out on the battlefield and explained the details of the 1746 battle. Johnny confessed that his Munro ancestors fought on the English side. Nearby a piper set the mood with his rendition of “Amazing Grace”. We drove to Inverness where Johnny pointed out places of interest and then took us to a supermarket to buy sandwiches, chips and a drink. We took the food to a stone beach at the end of Loch Ness where we had a very pleasant picnic lunch. After lunch Johnnie took out a wicker basket labeled “Johnny's First Aid Kit”. From it he produced a wee dram of Scotch whiskey for each of us followed by shortbread biscuits, sweet fudge, and a local soft drink. Very nice touch. We then drove to Kirkhill to visit the Frasier family cemetery and crypt. We drove down a private road so we could glimpse the Frasier ancestral home now in private hands. In the small town of Beauly we visited the ruins of the Beauly Priory. Continuing, Johnny took us on a narrow gravel road to a high hill with magnificent views of the Scottish countryside. One last stop on our return to the ship was for Johnny to show us his Munro family's ancestral home. Then it was back aboard the Crown Princess and dinner.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 6/12/2019 at 5:10 PM, gnome12 said:

There are different types of tours. I am going to be doing an Outlander walking tour in Edinburgh. Basically it puts the story into the actual historic places. There are also 1-day and multi day tours that take you out of town; they seem to concentrate more on filming locations, althoughI’m sure they cover some of the history. 

Was the Outlander walking tour on your own or with a guide? Thank you

16 minutes ago, SLYScorpions said:

Was the Outlander walking tour on your own or with a guide? Thank you

It was with a guide. The tour company is called Mercat Tours, and they run it only on Saturdays (or they did last summer when I went). We had a group of about 15 (all women) and the guide was very good. Even in the rain it was a very interesting tour. I have a feeling that it only goes once a week because there is only one guide with the Outlander knowledge to make this tour work.

https://www.mercattours.com/tours/history-walks/view-tour/edinburgh-outlander-experience

• 7 months later...