Questions about trains from Cannes to MC

Loganpaulsmom

Hi all,

In 2 weeks my family and I are heading on our European cruise. For over 6 months I have been planning every detail for my family of 8. Originally, we planned on just walking around Cannes. But, now some of our group wants to head to Monte Carlo. The research I have done tells me that taking the train is a great option. A few weeks back I looked up trains and now that I am ready to book I cannot find any first class tickets or the times that we want. Do any of you have suggestions? 

The other option for us is to not go Monte Carlo at all but to take a half day Catamaran cruise. If anyone has a good company to go through for that I would be so appreciative. We have 3 teenagers with us so I am trying to do see the sites while having fun things for them to do as well.

Thank you in advance.

Christine

Nearly all the trains between Cannes and MC are regional (TER) trains with a single class (standard or 2nd class) with no seat reservations.  The journey takes about 1:10 (give or take a few minutes) and there is usually at least one train an hour (more during the busier hours).  No need to purchase tickets in advance as you can simply get them at the station from the vending machines or at the ticket windows.  Once you have your ticket you validate it in the validation machine and hop on the next train.  These trains are more like commuter trains then the high speed fancy European/TGV trains and you are likely to see some coming aboard with their bicycles :).

Hank

Hank , 

thank you so much for this information. With only a short time we want to make sure that we able to see as much as possible. After posting this, I began to look at some other options and we may end up doing a private tour that we can cater towards all our needs. The only thing that has us not booking yet is the price. 

We have so much planned all ready that adding something else may be too much.

Christine

If you are looking for alternatives from Cannes, look at the Lerins islands. Search this forum for info.  

Also, does your entire group need to tour together?  The teenagers and an adult or two can go to the Lerins and then walk around Cannes after you return.  The rest can go to Monaco.  BTW - the train is really easy, especially if you don't have to deal with the larger group.