Fort Sumter

shelnj18

1 hour ago, shelnj18 said:

Spending a few days in Charleston before cruising. I'm trying to figure out if there are tours that take you directly to Fort Sumter instead of just passing by it by a boat tour. Thanks.

There are tours which give you a couple of hours at the fort - interesting, and worth the time.

I think you can do it all here https://fortsumtertours.com/

We got the combined ticket for entry to Patriots Point (Yorktown etc) and got the boat from there to Ft Sumter. They do tours from the 'city' side as well, from by the aquarium I think.  I must say, as a 'foreigner', I was a bit disapointed. You have to use the Park Service (I think) boat, you get to the fort, have about an hour walking round, get back on the boat and come back...no opportunity to stay longer if you want. Whilst there is a museum in the fort, the whole thing could be done better in my mind. It would certainly be presented better if it was a UK historical site...just my opinion. To be honest, I enjoyed the boat trip (about 40 mins each way) more than the fort, but hey ho.

I found the Hunley much more interesting, but thats only open weekends (unless its changed) https://www.hunley.org/

Simon