Barcelona Apartment Rental - Logistics???

Hi!  My family and I are going to spend a few days in Barcelona pre and post cruise.  We have decided to rent apartments instead of hotel rooms to have a home like atmosphere with multiple bedrooms.  I would love it if anyone can share their experiences/tips with doing this in Barcelona.  I have been to Barcelona before, but stayed in a hotel.  Logistically, I am most concerned with how you stored luggage with check-in time constraints, any issues with basic groceries/cooking, or anything else you may find helpful.  Thanks in advance!  Carrie

9 hours ago, carriosity said:

Hi!  My family and I are going to spend a few days in Barcelona pre and post cruise.  We have decided to rent apartments instead of hotel rooms to have a home like atmosphere with multiple bedrooms.  I would love it if anyone can share their experiences/tips with doing this in Barcelona.  I have been to Barcelona before, but stayed in a hotel.  Logistically, I am most concerned with how you stored luggage with check-in time constraints, any issues with basic groceries/cooking, or anything else you may find helpful.  Thanks in advance!  Carrie

We recently stayed at the Citadenes Apart Hotel on Las Ramblas. The location is excellent and there's an enormous supermarket directly opposite. The staff were great. We were in our spotless studio apartment by 10 AM. There's also a luggage storage area.

• 3 weeks later...

we stayed in the gothic quarter in an apartment we got through booking.com.  Small but very atmospheric and in the best location.  The only problem was that we could hear everything on the street and it was loud all hours a day.  Ended up sleeping with provided ear plugs one day.  I would do it again.  My parent who were with us were more bothered by the noise.

Logistics are different for each place, no one fits single formula. For private apartments booked through Airbnb rules are set by owner. So more likely you'll negotiate check in and out time with them. Some more progressive owners have electronic lock with pass code. It's necessary to have working cell for messages and unfortunately BCN airport it's not a good place to get local SIM card. For corporate run apartments there is some one to check in but not late (may be up to 8-9pm). If doing lots of cooking look for places near supermarket. They are mapped by Google maps (e.g. Mercadona near Barcelona, Spain). It's always possible to do one shopping and get can take cab back from supermarket. Everything is closed on Sunday except small shops. Personal preference is Eixample. Not as noisy and crowded as Ramblas/Barri Gothic but central and has excellent restaurants and shops.

Edited by hkto

We stayed at the Aspasios Ramblas Catalunya apartments for 3 nights earlier this month.  They are nicely updated and very comfortable.  The location is excellent in the Eixample section, one block from the Passeig de Gracia and two blocks from Casa Batllo.  Plenty of taxis at anytime going by.  

We arrived very early before our check in time, but we left our luggage in the office which opens at 9 am.  There were plenty of cafes and restaurants in the area for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you choose, and about three small supermarkets within a couple of minutes walk from the apartment.  We did not cook in the apartment, but that was our choice.  

Aspasios has three or four other apartment locations in Barcelona and also in other cities in Spain.  These were the only ones we stayed at. 

Edited by marazul

• 4 weeks later...

We are staying in The Bicycle Apartments near Sants.  Our daughter is dancing and we are here for a few weeks so it is the best location for us while also giving us fairly easy access to transit and the rest of the city. 

Full kitchen, two bedrooms, nice living room area.  Across the street from a nice little grocery.

They have a large room for luggage storage next to the check in area. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 6:23 PM, marazul said:

We stayed at the Aspasios Ramblas Catalunya apartments for 3 nights earlier this month.  They are nicely updated and very comfortable.  The location is excellent in the Eixample section, one block from the Passeig de Gracia and two blocks from Casa Batllo.  Plenty of taxis at anytime going by.  

We arrived very early before our check in time, but we left our luggage in the office which opens at 9 am.  There were plenty of cafes and restaurants in the area for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you choose, and about three small supermarkets within a couple of minutes walk from the apartment.  We did not cook in the apartment, but that was our choice.  

Aspasios has three or four other apartment locations in Barcelona and also in other cities in Spain.  These were the only ones we stayed at. 

I have a couple questions for Marazul as we just booked an apartment at Aspasios Ramblas Catalunya. How noisy was the location? I see the building is located directly on Las Ramblas Catalunya.  One reviewer mentioned the glass was double paned and the room was very quiet but we had an experience in Dublin where we stayed in a hotel with supposedly double paned window and the noise from the street was hard to deal with.

The hotel says it is in the Exiample section but I had thought that area was quieter and less bustling. Thanks for you help 🙂

1 hour ago, CruisinNewb said:

I have a couple questions for Marazul as we just booked an apartment at Aspasios Ramblas Catalunya. How noisy was the location? I see the building is located directly on Las Ramblas Catalunya.  One reviewer mentioned the glass was double paned and the room was very quiet but we had an experience in Dublin where we stayed in a hotel with supposedly double paned window and the noise from the street was hard to deal with.

The hotel says it is in the Exiample section but I had thought that area was quieter and less bustling. Thanks for you help 🙂

Aspasios has three buildings in that corner.  We had no problems with noise at the one we were at.  Our friends stayed directly across the street in the building where the reception office is and they had no problems either.  The apartments are very nice, especially at the main building.  Our friends had hidden window shades activated by a wall switch.  They didn't notice it the night they arrived and it was very bright there, but all was well when they found the switch in the morning!  Nice and dark the remaining nights. 😉 

The Eixample is a nice quiet section, but don't forget dinner time in Spain is 9-10 pm. and people are out and about.  Actually, that makes it nice if you are out late because the streets will not be deserted. 

• Like 1