Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector

As soon as the luggage comes out:

Yorkie--becomes excited because she thinks that she's going.

Maltese--goes into hiding because she thinks that she's going.

Cat--sleeps in it because it reminds him of a box.

When we return:

Yorkie--pees all over the place out of excitement.

Maltese--acts as if she has never laid eyes on us and hides for a day or two.

Cat--too unpredictable to gauge behavior, sometimes he's purrs and rubs against us for awhile, and at other times he ignores us.

You gotta love em!!

• 1 month later...

We just got our puppy, Jake, in April up in Fresno, CA while we were shooting a film. At first he didn't really like us since we were taking him away from his birth mother and siblings but now he follows us EVERYWHERE! Daddy more than mommy though. Everyday when daddy has to go to work Jake would be sooo riled up that he would literally jump from the bed (which is VERY tall for him, he's a Corillion [Corgi/Papillion] and is still very small for 6 months) and onto daddy's feet as he walks around the bed.... sometimes I have to hold him down as daddy exits and when the door is tightly shut I let him go- and he just sits by the door whining for a good 10 mins, then he'll jump up on the bed and situate himself on daddy's pillows.... I can't even think of what he's going to do when we start school again in 2 weeks as we'll have to leave him for more than our normal 2 hours (how long we're usually away from him at one time together- he gets angry at us and chews things up) and then the cruise! A week.... and this time grandma and grandpa (my mom and dad) will be with us and grandpapa (DBF's grandpa- so Jake's great grandpa) will be on a vacay to Iowa.... so we might have to leave him with my brother and his wife, but he'd have to be in a cage most of the time (they have a mini poodle and she's always crated)it makes me sad because he's usually free of most cages unless we have to leave him at my parents house or when we're in one room together we usually close the door so he can't go make messes... I have a feeling when I pull out the suitcase and pack, he'll get really upset.... I'm gonna bring lots of pics of him on our cruise so that we have him with us in spirit at least!

My two wonderful doggies Dakota and Jasmine do get a little curious with all the packing and cleaning and such, but the day before we leave, they're off to camp. I remember going out for some last minute shopping one time and returning home to Dakota our 80 pound lab mix laying amongst piles of clothes waiting to be packed. Jasmine our 80 pound hound mix is my little black and tan shadow, so she's not really much more clingy than normal. They do have a routine when they get ready for their vacation away from us. When we're only a few miles away from the kennel, they get restless in the back of the car. Upon arrival, they jump out, run to the door and whine to go in. They're warmly greeted by staff who hug and kiss them like their own and off they go without looking back. As a doggie parent, I'm a little sad to see them go, but I know they're happy. It's just as much a vacation for them as it is for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Our Italian Greyhound starts pouting the minute he sees the suitcases come out. If I don't keep the door closed to the bedroom or the suitcase closed while packing, as soon as I turn my back, he digs all the clothes out in a pile. When we get home, after many kisses, he leaves us "surprises" throughout the house for about a week.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Our Huskie stands in the drive like 'seriously...you're leaving...again?" then takes his rightful place on the front porch and pouts...When we arrive back home we hear how he tries to get into the UPS man's truck and go for rides...:rolleyes:

Our two Chihuahua's; "Lucy and Ethel" know when we are going somewhere. So for this reason I put our suitcases in our guest bedroom and then keep the door closed so they can't get in there. I also pack without them seeing me. I have been "staging" my cruise items for the last week getting prepared... (they don't have a clue...) My daughter will stay at our house and spoil them.. so not feeling too bad...

• 4 weeks later...
I usually get the suitcases out and start trying on clothes, pressing and packing about 1 week prior to cruise. As soon as the suitcases come out my dog starts to act funny and pouts. How many of you out there have that same thing in your house?:o

Our dog almost completely ignores us when we return. After a period of time we are "forgiven" and she warms back up to us...

• 1 month later...

Our Doxie, Pepper, doen't like suitcases either! She'll usually hide under our bed (though for our last trip she did try to stow away in one g the bags! She stays home with my son - who pouts as much as my dog! When we get home Pepper has to be greeted outside (little bladder & little control when excited) then she runs to her dish and eats! Our son is very happy to see us as wel...but he has much better control ( I think he just likes my cooking better than his own!)

Thanks everyone - I loved reading about how all your "Fildren" act & I don't feel alone anymore.....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 4 year old basset hound named Rougeau, and he really loves me/people in general. He's the kind of dog that when I sit on the couch, he has to sit on me or right next to me, touching my leg with his body. If he is sleeping next to me and I move an inch, he wakes up, moves an in closer and falls back to sleep. When he is caged or leashed if I have to leave, no matter how long the time is, 5 minutes or 5 hours, he cries and whines from the second his is put away to until I am gone and he mopes himself to sleep. When he hears the car pull up, he begins barking and whining again. ...enough set-up...

My wife and I returned from our 9 day honeymoon cruise on Saturday. Her brother stayed over and watched the dogs. When I entered the house, I didn't hear him whine or bark. I went into the room where he was leashed. He was sitting their staring at me, with his ears back and a stunned and sad look on his face as if to say, "where the heck have you been? I thought you were never coming back and I missed you." I ran over him and gave him a big hug and he was okay again: jumping around, hugging and kissing me.

Bart

• 2 months later...

Now that our furbaby is getting older, I think I miss her more than she misses us. When we drop her at the kennel/vet, she runs right in and jumps on the scale to see how much she weighs then she takes off with the kennel tech and seems very happy.

If I can't call to check on her, I make my daughter to be sure our "little girl" is alright, every day.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved reading all of these posts. I am so glad to see that we are not the only ones in this predicament. We have 2 Maltese we call our puppies even though they aren't puppies anymore. Brinkley (over 14 lbs) is almost 3 years and has such a soft heart. Bella is our little baby. She is just 2 years and weighs in at just 7 lbs.

My husband works at home most of the time so they get to be with him everyday and be spoiled by him. They get to cuddle and take power naps with him. When he does have to travel, Brinkley figures it out even before the suitcase comes out. I swear he understands what we say! He gets all mopey. DH tries to wait as long as possible to get the suitcase out but it really doesn't matter...Brinkley has it figured out. They sleep with us so at night Brinkley cuddles up to DH side of the bed.

When we travel, they usually stay at my sister's house. They love going to Aunt Debbie's but they also know that means mommy and daddy are leaving them. We have tried kenneling them just in case my sister couldn't be there but we didn't like putting them in those cages and they never get the attention there like they do at home.

When we get home, they are so excited to see us. Little Bella piddles all over when she gets excited but that happens every day when I get home from work too. When I leave for work in the mornings, I tell them both good bye. Brinkley will not give me kisses but does when I get home. Bella loves to kiss whether I am leaving or coming home.

I have had various breeds of dogs since I was a little kid but I would have to say that these 2 Maltese are my favorite. The personalities are so different from any others.

I have two pugs, Micky(Miguelina) and Rhett, but they have totally different attitudes. Rhett gets anxious until he realizes that someone is staying home with him(my sister) then he is okay with it. Micky on the other hand gets angry when she sees the suitcases. She Glares at you and tries to escape the house as your trying to leave. She tugs on the cuff of your pants to try to pull you back inside the house and then squeezes through the space between you and the door. It's like she thinks that if she can just make it to the car she will be able to go along! When we come back home they both get really excited, Rhett "talks"(wines, howls, and barks) as if he is telling you everything that happened while you were away. While Micky jumps up and tries to nip and lick your face!

• 2 months later...

We were doing a British Isles cruise and were going to the ship after saying in London pre-cruise for 3 days. Well the kennel called and we had a bad connection and couldn't hear her. Later that night on the ship our son called and one of our dogs was very sick. Turned out to be separation anxiety. Happened 2 other times. He does fine for a few days then misses us. He gets anxious when he sees the suitcases. We have a new 4 month old puppy to keep him company and hopefully he won't have any problems when we cruise in April. Our son is on standby to get him from the kennel, other wise I could not enjoy myself.

• 2 months later...

My DM had a cat who was a real character. When DM went on holiday and left the cat with me, it ran to the door EVERY time it heard a noise for the first three days. Then it gave up.

When DM came to pick it up after a week, the cat meowed and purred and rubbed her legs (it never did that otherwise).

When DM took the cat back home he remembered that he had been left alone, started pouting, ignored DM completely and instead of using the litter box, used the floor right next to it :D

I thought it was hilarious!

Archived