Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector

It is tough to leave these dogs behind, isn't it? We have a cockapoo also, like Max (Ihall85917) and he is such a lovely dog. His name is Bailey and is 7 now, and also gives us the big eyes when he sees the suitcases, and tries to stay near us whenever we move about. I hate leaving them, and wish these cruise ships had a "poop deck" so we could bring them along.:)

• 2 weeks later...

My Golden is laying at my feet right now. We are leaving next Sunday and this will be the first time she has ever been away from me..... I have opted to leave her at a dog-sitters house.... I am going to be a mess!

Okay, now I am going to ask for opinions - I have two choices - I can leave her at home for 8 days with people coming in 2-3 times per day to feed and let her potty. She will be here by herself...

or

I can leave her at the dog-sitters - the lady is licensed.. I have taken my pup over there once and she just stayed right by my leg... I think this lady will take care of her I just worry that my dog will get out of the yard and if she does.... she will be GONE!

Need advice..........what would you do?

I don't have any children, but I have two cats that pout. One will get in my suit case; however, I have never shut it with her in it. lol When I'm gone, they get very sad, and they don't eat very much. I always feel bad about leaving them alone. A friend of mine takes care of them when I'm out of town. She's just like me... has no kids, so her kitties are just as spoiled as mine.

yes, whenever i pul out the suitcases my cat starts to get really nervous...when i go on shorter trips, i have to pack the night before so as not to stress him out....but on a longer trip, i like to pack early, so i'll close the door so he won't see me pack, then hide the suitcase...sad, i know..he's just a cat..but the things we do for our pets!

I usually get the suitcases out and start trying on clothes, pressing and packing about 1 week prior to cruise. As soon as the suitcases come out my dog starts to act funny and pouts. How many of you out there have that same thing in your house?:o

cruizedirector...cat pouts w/ any type of luggage..jumps in and snoozes,,lays on all the "stuff on the bed"..gives me a gth look..and finally goes under the bed..as in now..embark 9/30 Holiday..n getting a jump on "oh my god, what to wear/take"..turn right around and fly to Alaska..he's really gonna be naffed off!..but he's on auto feed/water..good to go for days..judi

• 2 weeks later...

WOW this is a cool thread. Well my hubby and I have 3 mini schnauzers. One white (Princess "Sofie"), 2 salt and pepper (Little Miss Dandelion"Dande" and Driving Miss "Daisy"), we've never left them before and well the adjustment we have to make not only for them but for our 4 children. Boy I'm excited but sad already after ready all the threads. My pups get sad when I leave them to go take the kids to school and totally excited when I get home. Not only will my mom be house sitting, kid sitting but puppy sitting. I really feel for her. Boy I think she's going to have a mess on her hands. My fish how ever, I don't think they care as long as they are fed. Sofie (almost 10 months old) is the dearest most sweetiest pup we have, such a lover, she's always by my side. Big soft hearted eyes that make you melt. Besides us leaving my kids, I'm beside myself about leaving her. Dande and Daisy are a mess, they are are just shy of 8 months old. I think with my kids being home they won't pout so much. If my mom doesn't strangle them before we get back. She's never been around them more then a few hours at a time, thank GOD they are kennel trained. She might strangle the twins but I think Sofie will be an angel.

If this was my mom's dog, it would be different, she was a pouter big time, she died a few years ago. She was a platinum blonde rat terrier. Looked like Toto, she knew always. And she was a character, if I didn't come over to their house on a regular basis she's stand in the drive way when I pulled up and bark at me and not let me drive all the way up. After a bit, she's whimper and whine and bark at me until I picked her up, and then we were friends again. I guess it was her way of saying she missed me. My mom always missed her when she went on trips. She was a special dog. And I know how my mom felt about Sissy as we feel about our pups.

If anyone says a animal is an animal, then I don't feel that they are true lovers of animals, because, they are members of the family. They love you as much as a child loves a parent. And a happy pet is like a happy child. They play, they love, they are as affectionate, you not only know how they feel, they know exactly how you feel. Pets are amazing.

What a cutie!

Beauty has been know to remove and replace items. So I get a squeeky toy instead of what I thought I packed. The first time I spent tons of time said I know I packed.....I think, she thinks, if she packs she get to go too! I love crusieing but I wish I could take her too. What a perfect world that would be:)

We just returned from a quick 5-day cruise on the Enchantment and DH was doing OK without our Russian Blue kitties...for the first 12 hours of the cruise! Then we got to Key West and saw a couple out for a walk with their cat in a stroller. That did it -- he immediately called home to ask our daughter if our cats missed him!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having fun reading about how everyone loves their pets and how much they miss them while away from home!

As my screen name says, I have 4 dogs, all of whom I love dearly (we have no children). We also have other pets (birds and cats).

I saw some photos of beautiful and loved critters, enjoyed them, thanks!

My animals do the same thing as most of yours, when the luggage comes out, they must make thier presence known by jumping in and trying to go!

It is at times a relief to not have to feed, bathe and potty all of them while on a vacation. (I have 11 animals total to tend to)

Although they cannot go, I always end up with their HAIR still all over my good clothes when I get to where ever we are going!

It's then that I realize how much I miss them!

4 dogs

• 2 weeks later...

Yea I know I have the same problem. I get out the suitcases and start to pack a couple of days ahead and from that moment on my dog gives me the worst look. Like I'm going away and never coming back for her. She's a terrier mix 7 years old. Dogs are not dumb they know when your going away !!!! I've been lucky so far I have not had to board her. My sister takes care of her while I'm gone. I do the same thing for her when she goes on vacation she has a lab mix. I feel guilty while I'm packing but I keep telling her that I will be back in a few days. I know one thing its a great feeling when you return home and find them wagging their tail and licking you to death to see you back !!!!!! :p

• 2 weeks later...

We have three cats. Our Maine Coon isn't bothered at all by our absence. He loves us when we're home, but whatever. Our tuxedo cat is curious about the luggage and is happy to see us when we return, but no big deal. As long as they are fed, all is good.

My baby, Spot, is very distressed from the minute he sees the luggage. He gets in it and whimpers. I will definitely be packing in the guest room in the future! When we get home, Spot wants to be held constantly. He sleeps on my pillow, purrs in my ear, and keeps waking me up by patting my face.

This is a wonderful thread! I can admit to what some think is really weird...I own a nanny service and I pay a couple of my nannies to come over and hold my cat while I am on vacation. Spot loves it! Being paid to hold and pet a cat? The cat people on my staff think this is the best job ever!

As soon as the suitcases come out, my 2 cats either jump on top of or insde and lay down. But we have to be careful and not leave them out when we aren't in teh room as one of our cats in particular will let her feelings be known by using the suitcase as a litter box! We take them to a kennel for cats only and htey both seem really happy there, but I guess it's just her way of telling me how she feels about being left behind. "Poo on you too!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As soon as the suitcases come out. He knows. We just have to make sure when we return that we have something for him. Otherwise we will be in big trouble. He will lay on the couch and pout. Its amazing how they act. I usually hit Walmart before we leave. Keep the present with us, so when we return we can give it to him. He doesn't know when I bought it.

Our cats always seem to know also. One of them climbs into whatever suitcase we happen to have open on the bed, I guess in the hopes that we'll take her with us. :) The cats usually "punish" us by not visiting us in bed the night before we leave on a trip.

Last was no exception. ;)

As soon as our cases come out our Jack russell "Josh" begins to sulk, he goes from being very attentive, and wanting to be on my knee all the time, to ignoring me and going to sit with my son, and giving me baleful looks all the time. This continues until we get home and then its as though he missed us so much he wants to get inside our skin cos he can't get close enough

• 2 months later...

Our Jack Russell mix will go off and sit with his back to us when he sees the suitcases coming out. It is very cute because he will ignore us until the first article of clothing goes in the suitcase or one of us speaks to him and then he jumps in the suitcase like he wants to go with us.:D

• 2 weeks later...

My little princess, Christie the himalayan, is a true feline. She knows we are leaving when the suitcases come out, and becomes standoffish. Her late twin brother, Andrew, used to just curl up inside a suitcase and look at us pitifully. (Andrew was an amazing and extremely sweet kittie - miss him terribly) We leave her at home with her Nana Abby, a fabulous cat nanny and housesitter. Nonetheless, Christie acts out while we are gone. Instead of the litter box, she picks a spot on the carpet outside of the laundry room and "adopts" it for potty use. Nana Abby puts down doggie piddle pads on the chosen spot, which greatly limits the problem, but does not stop the acting out. I still come home to a spoiled kitty who needs a 12 step as a result of being indulged in catnip twice daily.

She has gotten better about homecomings, however. Now it only takes her about 20 minutes to warm up to us and want to be petted and cuddled. Used to take at least 24 hours.

I do have a slight case of the guilties every time we leave her, but we do her leave in excellent hands in her own home (believe me, it is her home, she just lets us live there to serve her and does not think we are entitled to time off!)

Gotta love that baby girl. :rolleyes:

I got our suitcases out in the livingroom a couple days early for our cruise last year and started putting in DD(10)'s clothes. Every morning her sundresses would be scattered all over the living room. I would ask her what the deal was and get the reply "it wasn't me it was Princess (her cat)". Everytime we would put her clothes in suitcase the cat would jump in and pull them all out. It was quite a comical site since she is not a very big cat (8lbs at the most).:D

Archived