Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector

I had two mini poodles until last year. They were almost 19, brothers, (they died 2 weeks apart :() who were so spoiled that I had to hide the suitcases from them, too! The best part was when I returned, while Cocoa was thrilled to see me, Bear would sit next to me and totally give me a verbal reprimand.... he had the cutest little whine/growl that went on for about 15 minutes (accompanied by the "butt wiggle") before he would finally settle down and give me kisses! I was absolutely sure he was chewing me out... how DARE I go away!!!:p

While I miss them terribly, I did always only go for short trips so they wouldn't be alone too long, especially as they got older. So now I'm taking advantage of the freedom to travel more and longer!

My DH got his wish and we now have what he calls a "real dog" (a black Lab) who must go to "doggie prison".... we'll see how she does ... I want to do a 2 week Europe cruise!!! Guess trhe kids will have to stay home with the new dog!!!! ;)

Yes! My cats go nuts when the suitcases come out. They will snub me for a few days, then be super snuggly and beg for attention. As we get closer to vacation, they will crawl in the suitcases and refuse to move! It is as if they know we will be leaving them and they want to go with us!

When we went to Hawaii our Lab/Border Collie mix Cady could have cared less. Our German Shepherd/Collie mix Roscoe was a different story. While Cady tried to help us pack, Roscoe tried to be packed! My sister and her kids (who they love) stayed with them while we were gone but we were in trouble when we got back. Again, Cady could have cared less. Roscoe wouldn't look at us, wouldn't take his cookies and would sit just out of our reach.....for 3 weeks! That was the longest and hardest 3 weeks ever.

Pout!?! Don't I wish mine would just pout. How about a 17, yes 17, year old maine coon cat. About 4 years ago, I decide she needed a little more attention than the once a day cat feeder. Off she goes to a couple friend, where she proceeded to attack them daily (except of course at feeding times). She also would hide behind the sofa and growl. Only later did I find she also purposefully "missed" the litter box. Yep only and last time she spent time away from the house. So 2 years ago, night before vacation I spent in the emergency Vet ER and had to call a friend (very good friend) to come over at 2 in the morning to learn how to give my cat meds for the next 4 days 3 times a day. Next vacation....she waited until midnight the night before vacation...off to the emergency ER again <sigh> even later call to friend. I now have a full time trained cat sitter friend who visits her 3 times a day. Oh did I mention she cries every hour the first night I come home, until I wake up and call to her and tell her to come...she then comes nuzzles my hand and leaves....for another 55 minutes:(. She will also come up and pet my face withh her paw at 3 AM.

BTW I leave in 24 days...Imy cat sitter is now to the point of staying at my house.

Oh did I mention, I nowhave to pack in the closet so she doesn't freak out!! sigh...and people wonder why I need a vacation.:D

• 2 weeks later...

My old cat was a pouter! I laid my suitcase out a few days before, started packing, and she jumped in it. She refused to leave my suitcase whenever I was nearby!

My dog, a little Pomeranian, doesn't mind when I leave for long trips. She gets to go to my mom's house and play with her dog. Always glad to see me but doesn't pout until she's tired of running around all day!

Although I cruise without my husband, my cocker spaniel Molly always gives me the cold shoulder when I return from a cruise or vacation. Our Brit Copper will meet me at the door, followed by Molly, but then when I reach down to pet her, she too runs just out of my reach. She'll hop up on the couch or chair, and turn her back to me when I try to speak to her! Her next move is to look at me, but stick out her tongue whenever I try to talk to her... Just a poutin' girl... just like a baby!

• 3 weeks later...
Although I cruise without my husband, my cocker spaniel Molly always gives me the cold shoulder when I return from a cruise or vacation. Our Brit Copper will meet me at the door, followed by Molly, but then when I reach down to pet her, she too runs just out of my reach. She'll hop up on the couch or chair, and turn her back to me when I try to speak to her! Her next move is to look at me, but stick out her tongue whenever I try to talk to her... Just a poutin' girl... just like a baby!

OMG, my yorkie did this to me after my first cruise. I swear she HATED me when I got back. She would not come to me or sit on my lap. She ran off to her crate and looked at me like, "you suck". :rolleyes:

What a fun thread to read. We have pure breed Border Collie. He is a worry wart. Always fussing by the back gate, waiting for all his charges (us) to be in for the day. I think he knows when the suitcases come out, but we tend to have them out weeks ahead of time and he gets used to seeing them out...kinda follows that they are out for a bit of time after we come back also, but that's another story:rolleyes:.

The realization of a pending vacation at the pet hotel sets in when we get the leash out and he literally pees himself (obviously, he loves walks). Then we drive to the pet hotel and he sees where he is at. Now he doesn't want to get out of the car! We have to drag him in. Breaks my heart every time. He forgives us very quickly as when we pick him up...he'a dragging us to the car.;)

I usually get the suitcases out and start trying on clothes, pressing and packing about 1 week prior to cruise. As soon as the suitcases come out my dog starts to act funny and pouts. How many of you out there have that same thing in your house?:o

My mother in-law's dog does pout. She also actually grows. My mother in-law says it is her dogs way of saying you had better not leave me again.

It is interesting because of that fact she stays with her dog a whole lot of the time and will actually use the dog as the reason of why she cannot go to lunch. It is amazing we convinced her to go on our Alaskan Cruise this Sunday. Hooray for up coming cruises.

My mother in-law's dog does pout. She also actually grows. My mother in-law says it is her dogs way of saying you had better not leave me again.

It is interesting because of that fact she stays with her dog a whole lot of the time and will actually use the dog as the reason of why she cannot go to lunch. It is amazing we convinced her to go on our Alaskan Cruise this Sunday. Hooray for up coming cruises.

I'm leaving in a week to Canada and every time while packing my suitcase my cat Puma gets in the suitcase and lays down on my clothes and gives me a couple of meows. I wish I could take him with me:(, I miss him a lot when I'm away. I have a very caring neighbor who pet sits for me. He's happy to see me when I come home and I anticipate seeing him as well.

Hmmm...the pet lovers heart.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I started this thread 3 1/2 years ago because my little guy pouted every time we went away. Today he left us. He was the best little pet I have ever had. I will truly miss him.

I'm sorry to hear about your little friend. It's so hard to lose a pet.

This thread is hereby dedicated to him. I'm sure everyone else who participated will agree.

I started this thread 3 1/2 years ago because my little guy pouted every time we went away. Today he left us. He was the best little pet I have ever had. I will truly miss him.

I'm so sorry. I found this thread today and was enjoying it. I was just going to post my dog is actually happy when we leave because my uncle comes to stay and spoils him rotten. He's my new dog, we lost my first dog of 13 years and it was devastating. I hope the grief passes as quickly and easily as possible.

i love this thread!! it's so cute!!

my daughter pomeranian HATES when i start packing.. at first when i pack she follows me EVERYWHERE .. doesn't let me out of her sight .. but whenever I grab my purse and keys .. she knows im leaving .. n she just lies in her bed and stares w her head resting on her paws n just looks up at me with those CUTEEEE eyes .. n she completely ignores me when i call her .. she's quite the brat :)

You have my deepest sympathy. It is something every pet family unfortunately goes through. But through the tears remember how much fun and happiness there was for all those wonderful years.

Linda

i am so sorrry to hear that .. i know it must be super difficult for you right now :( hope u feel better!!

Cruzdirector,

Don't know if you've read it before but I hope the following poem helps, it's called Rainbow Bridge, you will cry as I always do when I read it.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here,

That pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, so our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigour,

Those hurt or maimed are made whole and strong,

Just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.

They are happy and content, except for one small thing…..

They each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops

And looks into the distance.

His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver.

Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass,

His legs going faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet,

You cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress the beloved head

And you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life,

But never absent from your heart.

Then, you cross the Bridge …..together.

I sure do thank all of you for your thoughts. It is getting a little better each day.

Ella's Grandma, I have read that poem several times in the past few days and I do cry each time. I had my DH read it too. He was also very attached to the dog.

Thanks again.

I sure do thank all of you for your thoughts. It is getting a little better each day.

Ella's Grandma, I have read that poem several times in the past few days and I do cry each time. I had my DH read it too. He was also very attached to the dog.

Thanks again.

I am so sorry about your dog. I have a cat that is 14 and another who turns 10 tomorrow. I know before long I could lose one of them, and I love them every bit as much as I love my daughter.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I have three dogs, and they are my four legged children. They are such an important part of the family--very loved and treasured.

• 7 months later...

I actually start to lay clothes out about 2-3 weeks prior...I add and subtract from the pile through out the period....

As soon as the luggage comes out, our cat gets REALLY grumpy....One time I even caught her sleeping in the open luggage!

When we get back from a trip, she balls me out for about an hour, which is pretty funny, because she is usually a very quiet animal....

• 3 months later...

We haven't taken our cruise yet but last week we packed to go and see my mom...our older animals (2 dogs and a cat) pretty much ignored it but our new puppy (around 6 months old) get packing her toy orange monkey...we threw it for her to chase and each time (3 times) she, instead of bringing it to us to throw again, she put it back into the suitcase...:):eek:

Archived