Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector

We just returned home from a 10-day cruise. We had a couple of people stay with our 1 year old, Maltipoo. She has followed us around like a little shadow. We were unpacking and she was trying to get in the suitcases, had to put them on the bed. We were seperating our dirty clothes on the floor and she came and laid on top of them. I think that she missed us as much as we missed her. During our excursions my husband would say "i think Caicos (dog's name) would have enjoyed meeting the stingrays." or "what would Caicos wear for formal night?" pretty pathetic, huh? When we checked our messages when we got home, there was a message from my mom telling the house/pet sitter that she would be taking Caicos for the day. She also left messages for our dog when she knew that Caicos was going to be alone for a hours. Our dog is very spoiled, even by the grandparents. We hate to leave her, but we bring pictures of her on our trips.

We have a two year old Bichon that gives us such joy. My DH's blood pressure has dropped since we brought our baby home. We left her once for a weekend with our wonderful neighbor who has two small dogs. Belle likes her and her dogs -- but she hates to be separated from us. We know Belle will do fine -- its US we are worried about!

Our girls get so unhappy when they see the luggage come out. Last cruise we found Beauty (photo above) had replaced some of my personal things including my favorite hair brush with dog toys. It was good for a laugh. I think she want to go with us, and was packing her favorite stuff.

I have a twelve-year-old Persian that goes by the name of MeToo. When he sees the suitcases come out, he goes into a snit, even though he knows that Pop-Pop and Nana Cathy (Dad and his girlfriend) will be looking after him, and he just loves Nana Cathy. He won't eat for the first day or so after I leave, then he goes back to normal until I arrive home. Then he yells at me for a while. After my cruise last month, not only did I get a feline tongue-lashing, he followed me around for three days!

BTW... last fall, my dad had back surgery and was hospitalized for a few days. Because he doesn't own luggage, I loaned him the smaller of my suitcases. MeToo saw this and had a fit. Boy, was he confused when I came home that evening. "Wait a minute... I saw the suitcase... now where's Pop-Pop?"

• 3 weeks later...

Zoe, our Chihuahua/Dachshund mix recognizes when we pull into the doggy daycare place and she starts with her crazy shaking. She recognizes the packing phase but doesn't get too out of control then. I'm not a big shopper, but she always gets something from our trips (when I usually don't get anything for myself). She's sooo rotten:o , but she's our child.

Jenn

• 1 month later...

My hubby and I have 3 "kids." Our dog, Chico, goes to grandma and grandpas house which he loves. We haven't had to leave himanywhere yet, we just got him in November, so we'll have to see about that!

We have a ferrett, Scoot. He goes to my MIL's house and he thinks it's great, he actually gets mad when we bring him home! He won't play for a few days.

And we have a bearded dragon, Blitz. He stays at home and my dad comes over and feeds and cleans him. He doesn't care about much, as long as his heat lamp comes on everyday, and his bowl is full of veggies.

Shadow, our black lab has fits when we get out the suitcases, everytime we arrive at our destination and open our suitcases we find dog treats in them, makes you smile and laugh a bit.

We are more likely to find a slobbered on tennis ball and some dog hair in ours! Our black lab/bordercollie mix, Indy, is only 30 lbs, her other favourite trick is to lay down in the suitcase you are trying to pack - like just maybe you won't notice her an accidentally talke her along :-)

my cat zoe loves to lay on top of the suitcase or worse...inside the suitcase. Its always great when theres cat hair all over the nicely cleaned and ironed clothes!! But she will staying w/her grandparents (my folks) for the week. We both used to live there so it will be familiar for her. And my cat as well will ignore for the first night or so that i am home.

Ever see a 130 lb. German Shepherd pout? It is a combination of heart-wrenching and hilarious. He stays with my parents, which he loves, and when he first sees us when we get home he growls at us! Too funny!

• 2 weeks later...

We have an 150 (about) pound Great Dane (Xena) who also understands that suitcases mean a disruption of her very important routine. However, even though she tries to make us feel guilty I resist as hard as I can for I know she has fun when we are gone. My granddaughter house/dog sits for us while we are gone. Which means that she takes Xena out to her house where there are 3 or 4 other dogs for her to play with and Xena loves it! She comes home and needs a rest.

Peggy

My pets are horribly sad. My cat is about 14yrs old and when the suitcase comes out, he really starts to panic. My dogs also start to get upset. We've always left them at home with a dog sitter, but both of my sitters have moved away. I just found a really awesome, but very expensive "K-9 Retreat" for them to try out. They have individual log cabins, human beds, television, swimming pools, and lots of play areas. We're trying this place out over the 4th of July. From what I've heard, your dogs don't want to go home after a week of pampering.

My suggestion is if you can afford it, find somewhere like this. If they look forward to staying somewhere, you won't feel so bad about leaving them behind. These are my only kids, so I usually experience a little abandonment issues the first day or so of vacation. But, after a few pina coladas, you start to feel better!

Our dog (a Golden Retriever) pouts when we go to work sometimes! We are so lucky that my inlaws take care of her and our cat when we're on vacation. The pets LOVE their grandparents and I don't think they mind at all being over there. When they come home, the dog has to sleep for a week to catch up on her rest -- really wears an old girl out following grandpa around all day long!

We were on vacation last week and I felt kind of bad when we picked the pets up -- my FIL looked pretty sad that they were leaving, and I knew he would miss them.

We are childless, so our babies are the furry kind. Ty, our Lhasa Apso, is very sensitive to being left alone. He has separation anxiety, poor guy. He get's to be boarded when we leave on trips, which isn't all that often, but he will definately give the cold shoulder when we return. He will sit with his back to us, and be quite aloof. Luckily he gets over it in a few hours. It's hard to leave him, and his sisters, the cats. They are a big part of our lives and it's a bit sad to leave them when we go.

Here is Ty and the girls, Middy, Molly and Kit:

http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=313207

My DH and I returned from our cruise on Sunday and our little Maltese/Bichon, Lola, is still pouting. She didn't put up much of stink when we left, and she was spoiled at Grandpa and Grandma's house (my parents), but man, she is ticked off. We are hoping she snaps out of it soon. Although, it's actually kind of funny to see her acting all gruff and tough. :D

• 2 weeks later...

We have two tibetan terriers, and boy do they getv anxious when we take out our suitcases. the older one (13) gets in the suitcase and lies down on our clothes. both hover over us if they see us packing.

fortunately, for us and for them, my breeder takes them whenever we travel (which is frequent) and they love going there, especially when she has puppies they can play with. that makes it much easier for us when we know they are happy!

Archived