Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector

I just have to start laying out clothes & folding them, piling them up. Abby the border terrier starts whining & fussing. Once the bags appear it gets really bad. One cat, Sonny, makes love to the suitcases. His brother Sammy just lays all over the clothing, generally making a nuisance of himself. My ghost kitty, Knightley, pretty much lives under the beds so doesn't come out when I'm packing.

DH's folks will keep Abby for us - we refer to it as "camp." They live 2 hours away so she will go there a few days before the Noordam cruise. We'll get her on the way home. When we're on trips DH likes to whine at me just like Abby does - she is my baby. He does it just to annoy me. DD (20 years old) lives about 30 minutes from us (everything is 30 minutes from us). She'll come over every 3 days or so to feed the kitties.

Limpygirl - have you thought about taking a weekend trip away before your cruise without Angel to see how she does? That might give you an idea of how she'd handle being with your niece while you are on the ship so that you can relax & enjoy the trip. We've also set-up an e-mail address just for the cruse (so we don't have to wade thru all the other stuff that comes in every day) for folks to send us stuff we really need to know while we're gone. You could do that so that your niece can send you updates about Angel. Hope it all works out for you & have a great trip!

When we are going anywhere i need to get the suitcases out about 2 weeks before we go then whilst my dog has gone for his walk i then put then in the spare wardrobe every time he goes out a walk i start putting things in before he comes back the day we are going away i need to get dog took for walk whist we put suitcase in car if you even mention you are going he knows and he goes into a depression so we have to be careful whilst we are gone he dont eat for a few days then when we are back home he greets us and is happy we are home but then ignores us for a few days i miss him loads when we are gone he is a bearded collie cross labrador and is 11 years old

Jackie

OK I have to post again. I am the one getting very depressed and sad. We are leaving in a week and we have our dog 5 months now, although he is 14 months old. We got him when he was 9 months old. I feel so bad that we have to leave him. Please Help me get over this feeling. I am kenneling him and it is for 10 nights. Sigh.

TIA

Well I have two Greyhounds....and one of them is very outgoing and demanding. He puts all 80 pounds of himself in our big suitcase, spins around for comfort, and manges to sit in the suitcase. :) I guess that is his way of protesting whenever we leave. The other one just whines.

A greyhound in a suitcase! Now that would be a sight :D

My "baby" is a four year old Maltese. Standoffish would be the right word. He thinks he's going with me when I start to pack, so I confuse him by getting the bags out weeks before and adding, taking out, messing with them to get him used to it. But I guess it's for my own well being because he knows. I get the "beg" to go too. Then when I get home, he will sleep the first night with one of my sons, and not sit with me. Luckly, he loves me and will be back, slowly, the next day. I must add that he normally comes to work with me about 3 times a week so he really is used to going with me. He will pout at the window on the day's he doesn't get to go with me. :o

Aren't we a sad lot???????

My "baby" is a four year old Maltese. Standoffish would be the right word. He thinks he's going with me when I start to pack, so I confuse him by getting the bags out weeks before and adding, taking out, messing with them to get him used to it. But I guess it's for my own well being because he knows. I get the "beg" to go too. Then when I get home, he will sleep the first night with one of my sons, and not sit with me. Luckly, he loves me and will be back, slowly, the next day. I must add that he normally comes to work with me about 3 times a week so he really is used to going with me. He will pout at the window on the day's he doesn't get to go with me. :o

Aren't we a sad lot???????

That is so funny!!! Cole (the suitcase dog) will ignore us for about a day or so too!! Duke, my other Grey, is as loving and is ready to snuggle when we get back!:p

My baby, Frasier, is a Coton de Tulear. A white little fur ball. He is my best buddy. He even has his own pet stroller. He gets so depressed when I pack for a trip. I feel horrible leaving him but my mastiff, Abby keeps him company. They are going into a pet resort for my upcoming trip. This will be the first time in this new place but I wanted them to be comfortable. Frasier loves to watch animal planet on tv and he will have that set up for him in his doggy suite. Yes, it is a little extreme but I love my dog. I almost lost him a year ago. A coyote pulled him through our fence and just about killed him. $2,000 worth of intensive care and he is back to normal. Although he needs surgery on his leg from the attack and that is estimated to be another $2,000. I will have to pack on the sly since he eats the straps on my carry on bags when he sees me pack.

you know, I never thought I'd be one of "those" people who baby their dogs. If you don't have one, you really don't know what it's like. My husband, 300 lbs, 6'2" red neck man did not want a "frilly" dog (Maltese). He now fights for Frodo's attention. My husband will pout when the dog sits with me. When my husband is home and I'm gone then they are best buddies. He even takes him to the store with him. When I come home, it all changes. He hates it! My husband works off shore, and those guys out there would never believe how attached he is to this little dog.

I just have to stop in and say , today is a very sad day. We brought our Bichon to the kennel for the week.

Just needed to say it :(

Yes, but they will keep him/her so busy that your baby will be sooo tired, and ready to see you next week!!;)

I'm sorry to say that it is nice to know that I am not the only one worrying about the dog.

My husband thinks I am crazy but I find it even harder leaving our dog, Amber, than I do the kids. Amber is an 11 year old lab with separation anxiety and I think I have it too. We are doing a practice run this weekend and I find that I am calling with reminders twice a day.

We cannot bring out our suitcases until she is out of the house. She will follow us around and wimper if she sees a suitcase, backpack or worst of all a sleeping bag. She shakes, whines and basically looks just sick if she thinks she is going to be left.

Everyone keeps saying that she is just a dog and will get over it but it just breaks my heart to leave her. We are cruising with my parents this time so she is being left with my sister-in-law and her family. It is Amber's first time there so I think this is weighing more on me. The kids can ask for what they want but Amber can't so I have to make sure I cover all the bases.

Thanks for letting me vent to people who understand!!!:(

The cat that we have now doesn't worry too much when we go away, but my younger daughter (who is Cleo's fav. person) comes and stays with her. However, I've had 2 who made sure that we knew what they felt about being left.

First, Fluffy1, had a real "thing" about being left behind; I could take the car in and out a dozen times a day if I wanted to.... as long as I didn't take a suitcase out. If I was getting a suitcase ready to go out to the car, I had to catch her and put her in a bedroom, or we'd get about 20 miles away, she'd appear from someplace:confused: and we'd have an extra passenger. But she was a good traveller, only complicated things when we were going to a "no-pet" place. And it meant that I had to stop and call the kitty-sitter to let her know that she didn't need to feed and scoop.

Fluffy2 (is it something about the name?:rolleyes: ) was very different. She didn't bother when we were getting ready to go someplace, but she'd keep opening all unlocked doors. She herself never got into anything, but the other three had a ball... especially in cupboards and closets. And it would take almost a day and much coaxing for her to come to me after I got home.

Anyone else have a furkid who invited themselves along?:)

Marg

Anyone else have a furkid who invited themselves along?:)

Marg

We had a poodle - Peppi - who often feared being left behind. We were packing our camper once for a family trip - and the family trips always included the dogs - started packing the night before so we could take off in the wee-hours of the morning. We were getting finnished and wanted to turn in for the night - Mom started asking "Hey, has anyone seen Peppi?" We were worried that she had wandered and would be missed in the morning. We went through the yard, up and down the street, calling her with no luck.

We decided - oh well, she'll come knock at the door when she is done with whatever her adventure is, or we'll have to search harder in the morining and get a later start. Stepped out to close up the camper - shut the closet door, and guess who had tucked herself into the corner of the upper bed and was "hiding". She had heard us calling but decided not to risk answering.

She had never been left out of a camping trip before but somehow was worried about this one. She dug her claws into the foam mattress and would not budge. Finaly, I told Mom I would sleep out in the camper with her - she was not going the let go.

Since I found a great kennel -- called the PetSpa, the bill it as a vacation for the animal too -- I have no problems. I actually tell him he's going to the PetSpa & he gets excited. I'm usually a little hurt when I pick him up & he whimpers as we're going home -- like he doesn't want to leave. :o Everyone I know who boards there animals at this place says the same thing. The babies are so well cared for. Last year when my parents had to send their Corgie to Rainbow Bridge, the PetSpa actually sent a condolance card.

I'm sorry to say that it is nice to know that I am not the only one worrying about the dog.

My husband thinks I am crazy but I find it even harder leaving our dog, Amber, than I do the kids. Amber is an 11 year old lab with separation anxiety and I think I have it too. We are doing a practice run this weekend and I find that I am calling with reminders twice a day.

We cannot bring out our suitcases until she is out of the house. She will follow us around and wimper if she sees a suitcase, backpack or worst of all a sleeping bag. She shakes, whines and basically looks just sick if she thinks she is going to be left.

Everyone keeps saying that she is just a dog and will get over it but it just breaks my heart to leave her. We are cruising with my parents this time so she is being left with my sister-in-law and her family. It is Amber's first time there so I think this is weighing more on me. The kids can ask for what they want but Amber can't so I have to make sure I cover all the bases.

Thanks for letting me vent to people who understand!!!:(

:( You are not crazy. Our last cruise was in December. Our 11 year old Bichon DIED the day before we came home. Our neighbor took wonderful care of him and our 12 year-old Bichon. But his heart went out while we were gone. We were thankful that our neighbor put her cell phone on speaker so we can say good-bye. How sad is that?? :(

It's the pouting when we get home that is funny...

Duncan (our Dog) will great his......happy to see us home.....

Then he will sit across the room.....facing away and snub us for a while. Won't come when called etc.......

We finally got him partly over it.......

We always have a new stuffed toy in the luggage....

(Shhhh, don't tell him we buy them in advance and keep them hidden in the closet)

Now after the inital greetings.......he goes to the luggage, sniffs around and paws at it till he gets his toy! :rolleyes:

This is a great thread. My previous pup (died in October) was the worst pouter. As soon as the suitcases came out he would follow me around closer than my shadow with the biggest, saddest eyes you've ever seen. He actually jumped in the trunk of my car once when he thought I was packing to leave. Fortunately he only weighed forty pounds and I could lift him out. :o

Thank God there are other people who have a VERY hard time leaving their pets. My 17 month-old Pug, Otis, cries and pouts whenever I leave the house for a few hours. A few weeks ago I was gone all day and he stopped eating and messed in the house. Needless to say, I am very worried about leaving on my 7 day cruise this Sunday. He has slept with me nearly every night since he was 6 weeks old and I have home office, so I am home all day too. My sister, who I live with, will be watching him while I am gone.

Any advice on how to make it easier for Otis while I am gone? Also, it sounds really stupid, but should I make a video tape of me to play to Otis while I am gone (he also likes to watch Animal Planet on TV) or do ya'll think seeing me would make it worse for him?

Help!!!:confused: :confused: :confused:

I think your dog will be fine. After all he is in his own home with a roommate.

We picked up our Bichon today and when he saw us, he just screamed and cried at the top of his lungs, I never heard anything like it.

He is now home and very happy.

Good Luck evryone, we board him again in August. :(

We have a 4 year old chihuahua that had been abandoned(before we adopted her) ... so now evertime we get the suitcases out she gets the saddest look on her face. It breaks our hearts to see her like that. Once she realizes that the grandparents are coming to take care of here she perks up alittle. The things we do for our little babies. We normally do not dress her up but this cocktail dress was bought by some friends and we hd to take a pic of her.

Belle01.JPG.7b5fe7e27d7128614177662331e43b04.JPG

Archived