Does anyone else have a pet that pouts?

cruzdirector

• 3 weeks later...

Oh yeah... we have 6 indoor cats. Most are fine although they do not like it when they see the suitcases come out. They KNOW what that means.

BUT I do have a couple of problem fur children. One licks her backside half bald everytime we go out of town. (She is a nervous girl anyway having been a feral rescue)

Another, my big fat oh so vocal tabby, won't speak to me for a good 24 hours after we return. Won't even let me touch him. He seems highly offended but then he is a cat and well, they can be a bit moody anyway.

But then I love them so and I too am well trained :D

• 3 weeks later...

Normally, our dogs stay with a sitter, but due to severe medical issues, she was unable to take this time, so we hired a local teen to come in and care for them.

They love her and were okay, but for the first time, one of our dogs did decide to let us know her displeasure about having been left at home. She showed uncharacteristic aggressiveness at the dog park, and started growling at our other dogs. We did not allow this behavior to go unnoticed, we did not hit her but reprimanded her and immediately removed her from the park, and after about a week, she got back to her normal self.

A classic was when I was home from college and my parents went away for a trip to Egypt. I went in there bedroom one morning and found "presents" on each of thier pillows.

OK, I have a story just the opposite of all of yours.

First remember my DH works swing shift and couldn't go with DD and I on our cruise.

On this cruise, our ship stopped in Cayman Islands. We were told we could make a 3 minute phone call home for free. (This was to get you into this really nice jewelry store.) When it was my turn to call, I called my two Yorkies and talked to them on our answering machine. I just missed them so much.

When DH came home from work and saw what I had done, he played and replayed my message to my Yorkies, Angel and Kodibear.

All of our friends decided I really am crazy! :confused: :D

:( You are not crazy. Our last cruise was in December. Our 11 year old Bichon DIED the day before we came home. Our neighbor took wonderful care of him and our 12 year-old Bichon. But his heart went out while we were gone. We were thankful that our neighbor put her cell phone on speaker so we can say good-bye. How sad is that?? :(

Sad??? I sat here and cried over your dog! I'm so sorry for you!

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that one. My cat picks his moment, usually as I am reaching for the door handle to leave, and hits me with it.

Once, last summer, I looked at him as he did it...I cancelled my trip.

Yes, I am whipped.

I love this thread! Our dog is so spoiled. We have a min pin and he can be very destructive. We are worried about leaving him for two weeks when we go on our cruise. My brother is coming to the house to watch him but if he doesn't keep a good eye on him, there is no telling what my house will look like when I get back (our punishment for leaving). In fact Duke, my dog, is sitting on my foot as I am typing this. Maybe he is getting suspicious...

Our kitty, Sara, always knows when there's something going on. Once those suitcases come out, she gets really restless and wanders all over the house, and won't sleep w/us the night before we leave. When we get back (even if it's just been 48 hours), she'll glue herself to my side for a couple of days, as if to say "mommy, mommy, where did you go, I missed you!!".

I think our trips are harder on me than her, though - a few months after we rescued her from the shelter she got really sick - turned out she has asthma, and since it wasn't being treated she got bronchitis. Now she's on an inhaler, and it's not easy to find a pet sitter who has any experience with that. So I start worrying that she'll have an asthma attack while I'm gone and no-one will be there to notice... which is ridiculous, 'cause we have her asthma completely under control. It's hard at night, too, 'cause I imagine her curled up all by herself on our bed...

Man, I'm a wimp!! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else take pictures of their pets with them when they cruise? My DH is so attached to our 2 Russian Blue cats that he keeps a framed 5X7 picture of them on the dresser throughout the cruise -- yes, I'm sure the cabin steward thinks we're nuts!

Does anyone else take pictures of their pets with them when they cruise? My DH is so attached to our 2 Russian Blue cats that he keeps a framed 5X7 picture of them on the dresser throughout the cruise -- yes, I'm sure the cabin steward thinks we're nuts!

Well... I have pics of my cat, my dad's two cats, another one of Dad's cats who crossed Rainbow Bridge last fall, and my mom's Dachshund in my cell phone. Never leave home without 'em.

Our baby Chloe, an 8 year old dalmation/springer spaniel mix, always has mixed emotions when the suitcases come out. When we go to the beach, either Sanibel, St. Augustine, or Clearwater here in Florida, we always stay at pet-friendly resorts so she can go with us. She loves her car rides! So when the suitcases come out for a cruise, she usually assumes she's going away someplace special too, gets all excited, wags, and runs out to the car. She's usually jumped into the car before we even have the luggage loaded! The look she gives us when we drop her off at the "pet spa" is priceless, and almost enough to make us change our mind and go home to be with our baby girl! Taking her to the kennel is the very last thing we do before we leave, and picking her up is the first thing we do when we get back! Now, our two cats, Cosmo and Greybie, they like to "pack" themselves into our suitcases. They are constantly hopping in. It's Chloe that makes it so hard though. They call them puppy dog eyes for a reason!

I have an adorable cockapoo named Fortune. Whenever we go on a trip we get picked up by the airport limo and Fortune always tries to come with us. We got very excited last year when we found a doggie boutique store in Juneau. And yes I always bring pictures of my baby on trips with me too.

I'm glad I stumbled across this thread. HeatherandFred your kitty is adorable:) My baby is fine because my brother looks after her when I go away. She still makes me feel guilty. It's funny how many people start talking about their pets on a cruise. And yes most of them have pics too.

smiles Meaghan

• 1 month later...

As soon as my cat sees extra food and water put out for him and suitcases coming down the stairs, he tries to block the door. My cat sitter tells me the same thing when she tries to leave after a visit. I was told after our last trip that he only bit her once. I do not feel guilty!!

I wish I could say I had my cat that misses me whenever I go on vacation. She's in kitty heaven now. She was 14 1/2 and had an inoperable tumor. We didn't know it until it was too late. She is sorely missed.

Joanne,

Your kitty is HERE waiting for you.

We have a 150 pound Great Dane named Maddie and a long haired Chihuahua named Ginger. Ginger likes it when we leave because she goes to my mother's (who was her original owner) Maddie however, that poor baby she will cry, yes cry, and pout, stop eating, whatever it takes. She is such a drama queen. She is my baby though. She has only tried once to get in the suitcase and her hiney got stuck!:eek: We leave her at home with a sitter though because she just does not adjust well to change.

Abby, Thanks. Been to that site. It's been 3 months since Pepper was put to sleep. You think that your pets will live forever. You know they won't but you keep hoping it's years left in them. When we got Pepper (a farm cat) our first daughter was 10, second one was 6 1/2. Our first daughter turned 24 yesterday (7/15). Pepper was 14 1/2 and gave us loads of love, she was a pest at dinner time, and is sorely missed. Thanks Abby.

• 3 weeks later...

I have really enjoyed this thread. Our 18 year old cat, Sylvester, is now at Rainbow Bridge. He never paid us a whole lot of attention when we were there, when we left, or when we came back. He was happy as long as somebody filled his food bowl on a regular basis.

Our Cockatiel, Tweety, also doesn't seem to mind if we leave.

Our year, old 4 pound Chihuahua, Yosemite Sam, seems to get excited right when we are leaving - he acts like he thinks he is going with us. If we take him to our daughter's and leave while they are there, he really whines. If we leave him there when nobody is home, he does much better. He really likes our daughter but he is glad to see us return. On our last trip he spent a lot of time with our daughter's cat. When we got home, he was rubbing up against us like he thinks he is a cat.

I take my laptop on trips so we have lots of pictures. Of course the spoiled rotten animals are just practice for our first gandchild in Feburary.

Sevral posting on this thread have mentioned losing their pets. Some have used the term Rainbow Bridge. I thought I would post the piece. I do not know who the author is.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an

animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes

to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special

friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water

and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals

who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor, those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing, they each miss someone very special, someone that was left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent, his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your very special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain on your face, your hands caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Archived