Shore excursions/tours with cochlear implants

IAmLono

I have bilateral cochlear implants.  The earpiece they use with the sound system can't be paired with my processors.  What do you do in order to be able to hear the guide?  Is there a possibility of plugging my Bose headphones into the system and skipping that earpiece?

33 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Are these the devices they sometimes call "whispers"? I believe they do have the standard 3.5mm(?) ports. Give it a try!

Otherwise, all I can think of is to inform the guide and stay close to them.

Thank you!  (I tried to stick close to the guide but was pushed out of the way so aggressively by other passengers that I gave up and just walked and looked---I want to at least TRY to hear and appreciate the 3.5 mm tip)

Just now, cb at sea said:

Tell the guide you must be NEAR them, (and why) before the tour starts...they will make it happen!

Thank you for that---I do need to be more assertive

2 hours ago, IAmLono said:

Thank you!  (I tried to stick close to the guide but was pushed out of the way so aggressively by other passengers that I gave up and just walked and looked---I want to at least TRY to hear and appreciate the 3.5 mm tip)

I wear hearing aids.  I asked if I could bring my own earphones as I wanted an over the ear cheap set.  They said the plugs was standard, and it was.  I even used my cheap ones on the hop on hop off.  

We had a guide in one of the Adriatic walled towns that would wander off and then start talking.  With the walls it was difficult to tell where she had gone and then to hear her at all.  She show us something and then when half had seen it and the rest were trying to see it she was off! 

2 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

I wear hearing aids.  I asked if I could bring my own earphones as I wanted an over the ear cheap set.  They said the plugs was standard, and it was.  I even used my cheap ones on the hop on hop off.  

We had a guide in one of the Adriatic walled towns that would wander off and then start talking.  With the walls it was difficult to tell where she had gone and then to hear her at all.  She show us something and then when half had seen it and the rest were trying to see it she was off! 

Thank you for that.  I had just given up when we were on the cruise, but now I see I can just bring my Bose and hope for the best.  We should start a page for hearing-impaired, hearing aids, cochlear implants---giving tips like this so they can benefit from the guides' knowledge.

11 minutes ago, IAmLono said:

Thank you for that.  I had just given up when we were on the cruise, but now I see I can just bring my Bose and hope for the best.  We should start a page for hearing-impaired, hearing aids, cochlear implants---giving tips like this so they can benefit from the guides' knowledge.

Im headed for a bunch of private tours or groups of 6 most guides don’t think they need the microphone even in a car so I bought a set of receivers and a transmitter!  When I had a walker everyone forced me to the back by passing me and closing up close.  I now have a scooter and can out run everyone, but if I got those speeds I cannot quickly stop!  And I had enough people walking in front of me with the walker and it was noisy!  One guy who would look up and then wander kept getting mad at me that he kept getting hit!  I was watching head of me and others that were meandering and trying not to hit them when they changed directions, even when I did watch him I’d glance away at something being pointed out and he’d walk crooked!  Really the only person that continually got hit because there was no way to walk and watch him when I walked on the other si he’d end up over there in front of me!  

Glad i I could help enough for you to try again.  You do need the micro rca iirc.  It’s the little plug that fits most phones etc.    fwiw, I put a dB meter on my iPod t show the dining room that some of their music was in the dangerous range!  

1 hour ago, IAmLono said:

...  We should start a page for hearing-impaired, hearing aids, cochlear implants---giving tips like this so they can benefit from the guides' knowledge.

We already do. Disabled Cruise Travel forum at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/114-disabled-cruise-travel/ and Europe Disabled Cruising forum at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/775-europe-disabled-cruising/. That's where cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences. Note one of the existing threads titled Hearing impaired cruise help. at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2624693-hearing-impaired-cruise-help/.

Please feel free to start the thread you mention on either forum where it will be on-topic.

Edited by TxCityKat
typo