Gluten free in Seattle?

Natmar

I have Celiac Disease and need to eat only Gluten Free food and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for restaurants within walking distance to the Seattle Marriott Waterfront hotel that have a Gluten Free Menu?   Thanks in advance for your help - happy cruising.  

Depends how sensitive you are - do you need a dedicated food prep area, fryers etc. that never see gluten? Or is minor cross-contamination as long as your own meal's ingredients are GF good enough for you? If the latter you have a ton of options - Seattle, like the whole PNW, has ridonkulous amounts of GF food thanks to it trending among folks who choose to eschew it rather than have to. If you do need to know that your meal never touches utensils or hands which also touch gluten-containing food things get more challenging...

Ivars for example is very close, has plenty GF options, and while they used to have a dedicated fryer for GF food recent reports indicate that's no longer the case, but if you can tolerate tiny amounts you should be safe. Otherwise I'd stick to the restos listed in places like the Celiac Restaurant Guide and also contact them individually to double-check they remain truly GF. You may have to walk pretty far or jump in a cab, but you will have options even then - e.g. you can now enjoy both a range of beers and food from a 100% GF brewery, Ghostfish.

6 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

That list must be pretty old because half of those restaurants are closed

Yeah, the CRG does tend to be slow to update about closures (even more so than Yelp or the likes, it's a much smaller organization) - if you're aware of a more up-to-date guide to truly Gluten-Free Seattle restos I have no doubt OP would appreciate it...?

45 minutes ago, martincath said:

Yeah, the CRG does tend to be slow to update about closures (even more so than Yelp or the likes, it's a much smaller organization) - if you're aware of a more up-to-date guide to truly Gluten-Free Seattle restos I have no doubt OP would appreciate it...?

Sorry, no. And I didn't mean anything by the post..I just scrolled through the list and just saw some restaurants that have been closed for many years (and who knew Claim Jumper was a good GF option?). I notice quite a few GF options on most Seattle Restaurant menus these days. The OP should decide on a restaurant that sounds good and then just call to confirm the options. 

3 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

Sorry, no. And I didn't mean anything by the post....

No worries, no offense taken - I just really hoped you might actually know of some up-to-date places! I've got celiac friends & family who've suffered for decades and the modern trend of GF eating has actually made it harder for them in some ways - back in the day if you could actually find an appropriate resto it was always totally GF because it was for celiacs, these days all the hipster d-bags who've read 'Wheat belly' (or more likely haven't but just jumped on the trend anyway) muddy the waters so much for folks who truly need to avoid all cross-contamination that they need to call 20 supposedly GF-friendly restos to find one that is actually Celiac-friendly, and the number of folks at the other 19 restos that have an attitude of 'but we have GF burger buns and pizza bases for only $2 more, what more can you possibly need?' is quite astonishingly high.