Gluten Free at CocoCay?

Gatordad815

Hi all! Can anyone share experiences with the gluten-free food offerings at CocoCay since it became Perfect Day? We will have our 6 year old daughter who has Celiac Disease, so I’m researching options for her. Typically on port days we eat a large breakfast on the ship and then safe bring snacks for her on shore, though in looking at the FAQs for CocoCay they indicate gluten free options are available, which will be quite nice for us for a change.

Can anyone comment on what gluten free options they found available and the level of staff helpfulness/knowledge? Any insight appreciated-thanks!

We were on Coco Cay last weekend.  My husband is gluten, dairy, and egg free. From what I remember, I think he had some BBQ chicken, soft tacos (there was a taco station that had soft corn tortillas) and some fruit.  There were also burgers and hot dogs without buns and a salad bar.  There were French fries but I don’t know if they are cooked in a dedicated fryer -he didn’t want them so we didn’t ask.  I didn't see any gluten free desserts.

We were on a short 3 night cruise the Mariner and at 2 of the 3 dinners he was served food that had gluten and would have made him sick.  One was in the main dining room and the other at Jamie’s Italian, and this was after being very clear about his allergies while ordering.   It was very disappointing.  So just be very careful and double check everything they serve.  

15 hours ago, OneParticularHarbour 71 said:

We were on Coco Cay last weekend.  My husband is gluten, dairy, and egg free. From what I remember, I think he had some BBQ chicken, soft tacos (there was a taco station that had soft corn tortillas) and some fruit.  There were also burgers and hot dogs without buns and a salad bar.  There were French fries but I don’t know if they are cooked in a dedicated fryer -he didn’t want them so we didn’t ask.  I didn't see any gluten free desserts.

We were on a short 3 night cruise the Mariner and at 2 of the 3 dinners he was served food that had gluten and would have made him sick.  One was in the main dining room and the other at Jamie’s Italian, and this was after being very clear about his allergies while ordering.   It was very disappointing.  So just be very careful and double check everything they serve.  

Thanks for the CocoCay info-much appreciated!  That’s very concerning to hear about experiences in the main dining room and Jamie’s. I hope that was a one-off for Mariner. We have done 3 Oasis class cruises with our daughter and never experienced what you experienced-we have always has great gluten free experiences. But it’s definitely a good reminder to remain vigilant!

If anyone else has info on GF offerings/procedures on CocoCay, I’d love to read about them. Thanks again for the input!

Good to know about the soft corn tortillas.  Not celiac nor caught up in the gluten free hype for non-celiacs.  But love corn over flour tortillas.    And BTW before I get slammed....I am glad for those with celiac disease to have more options available.  But yes please be careful.  Waitstaff in specialty restaurants may not have full knowledge of what has or might be cross contaminated with gluten.  The hostesses and the maître ds in the MDR should know.  But then again may not.

17 hours ago, OneParticularHarbour 71 said:

some of our traveling companions are children with celiac, the parents have a little portable gluten tester they take along on the ships.

be warned that every gluten free pizza they have tested from Sorento's has failed, including one made by one of the higher up chefs after she showed him her tester and told him that the pizzas were failing.