Beaches on Aruba

cb at sea

This will be our 1st trip to Aruba. I am a beach lover--grew up in Va. Beach and I would love to spend some time at the beach while we're in Aruba. My question is should we do the excursion that gives you a chair, etc... at a local hotel, or just wing it? The ship's price for this service isn't terrible, especially if you do lunch on your own. If your advice is to wing it, where is a good place to go?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

66 days and counting!

There are three main beach areas in Aruba. The high rise hotel area, the low rise area and then a no hotel beach below the California lighthouse (starts with an A) The high rise area has more to do then the low rise area, while the no hotel beach has nothing there. Just a beautiful beach. You can rent a car or jeep for not very much and explore the island and hit all the beach areas until you find the one you like. You also can take a bus to the beaches. On the Aruba - Port of Call threads you can get alot of more detailed information. Enjoy your cruise and Aruba.

We spent a week at La Cabana on Aruba this past summer. Right in front of the resort is Palm Beach. It was lovely! You can either take a cab or the bus there from downtown. There are chairs and palapas there. I don't know if the chairs are for the use of non-hotel guests, but I also know we didn't have to show any ID to use them. They have wave runners, the Banana Boat, tube rides, etc. right there as well. The hotel also has restaurants to eat at including one right near the beach where you can get a pizza (not too bad, either). There is also a beach bar. We loved the beach and the water was warm. We would bring down bread and feed it to the fish which would swarm around you. My boys loved that. They used the underwater camera to try to capture them. Just remember that it's ALWAYS windy on Aruba and that you're very close to the equator so sun screen is a must.

Archived