Antarctica & South Georgia Island Cruise Photography

KenPhotoGeek

Hi,

I will be travelling on Seabourn Quest, leaving Buenos Aires  on 19 December 2019, and travelling to South Georgia Island and the Antarctica Peninsula, and ending up in Santiago, Chile.  Last year, I traveled to the Antarctica Peninsula on a small expedition ship with 75 photographers + a dozen guides and pro photographers.  While in Antarctica, we typically got off the ship twice a day; either two landings, or a zodiac tour and a landing.  I'm guessing that with a larger ship, such as the Quest, there will be fewer opportunities to get off the ship.

I shoot with Olympus Micro-Four-Third.   Last year I brought all of my lenses, including a 300mm f/4.0 prime.  Even though I used it, I really didn't need the 300mm, lens; in most cases it was overkill.  If I can leave it home, I would like that, as it is relatively large and heavy.  Also, I will have a 40-150mm lens with a 2X extender, making it a 300mm f/5.6 lens.  I was wondering if I should anticipate doing more long distance photography of the shore from the ship than I did last year.  If so, I would probably want to bring the 300mm prime. 

If you are a photographer, and have done this cruise in the past, please share your thoughts and experience with me.  Thank you!

Ken G

6 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

I would take the 300mm prime.  I’m an amateur photographer that also sells work.  A wide angle was invaluable, as was a mid range zoom but I took a lot of photos from the ship with a 100-400mm at all hours of the day that have sold well. 

Thanks for your response.

Ken G, I will be on Seabourn Quest a month after you traveling to Antarctica from Buenos Aires. I have a question unrelated to photography. I’ve booked various excursions but see nothing on the Seabourn web page regarding the rental of boots which I know is recommended. Did you receive a separate notification assuming you have also rented?

57 minutes ago, lvog said:

Ken G, I will be on Seabourn Quest a month after you traveling to Antarctica from Buenos Aires. I have a question unrelated to photography. I’ve booked various excursions but see nothing on the Seabourn web page regarding the rental of boots which I know is recommended. Did you receive a separate notification assuming you have also rented?

Hi, yes it is there, but can be a bit difficult to navigate to.  Here is a link, including sizing for parkas, renting of boots, a suggested packing list, etc.   https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/luxury-cruise-destinations/antarctica-experience.html

1 minute ago, KenPhotoGeek said:

Hi, yes it is there, but can be a bit difficult to navigate to.  Here is a link, including sizing for parkas, renting of boots, a suggested packing list, etc.   https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/luxury-cruise-destinations/antarctica-experience.html

Oh yes, and I don't know if you are a photographer or  not, but do make sure you bring a camera.  If all you have to take pictures is a phone or tablet, you will be unhappy when you get home.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Hi Fletcher, my wife had sent me a link to your blog.  I had started to read it, and it is actually what started me thinking about my question.  From what you wrote, it seems that the opportunities to get off the ship will be much less than they were on my expedition trip from last year.  I will go back and finish reading your blog.  Thanks!

Ken G, Thank you for this information. It’s extremely helpful. Yes. I am a photographer. I use a Nikon D3200 for the last 5 years. We travel frequently and can’t imagine not documenting my trips. Again, thanks for the web site.

• Like 1