Duty Free Civtitavecchia

ltdavies

There is no duty free in Civitavecchia.  I used to go to a Carefour Express (about a 10 min walk from the old Fort) but it has been a long time since we shopped at that store.  And they did not sell any wine in that mini-market that would have been worthy of a corkage fee.  Also keep in mind that "duty free" shops often sell products for more money then places that are not duty free.  Just because a shop qualified for selling duty-free merchandise does not mean they can't mark it up to prices that far exceed regular prices.  We recently checked-out the so-called "Duty Free" booze prices on Princess and the products we checked (single malt scotch and decent cognac) actually cost about the same (or slightly) more then we pay in Pennsylvania where our booze has a 20% Johnstown Flood Tax plus 6% Sales Tax.  I actually showed the shop manager the price (on my cell phone) and he just laughed and said that he did not set the prices.

Hank