Rottnest Island - Need Info!

roothy123

I would love to go to Rottnest Island from Fremantle, and have found the ferry schedules.  I'm now trying to get an idea what my choices are for getting around the island once I'm there.  We'll be going Christmas week, so I imagine things will be hopping.  If anyone can comment on the two major tour options available there, I'd love to hear your comments.  The Bayseeker Tour sounds like a tour in which you're guaranteed a seat once you buy your ticket, and it sounds like it's a real "tour" - i.e., few places to get off and explore, with mostly riding around.  The Explorer Bus sounds like a Hop On Hop Off bus of sorts, but are there problems getting on it, or getting a seat?   Sometimes HoHo buses can be overcrowded, resulting in a wait for another bus.  Does either bus go near the lighthouse that is in the middle of the island?  Can you see it, or better yet, walk to it, from a stop or from the road?  Are there any pros/cons to taking the Explorer Bus versus the Bayseeker Tour?  And what about the ferries?  Are they both pretty reliable?  Is pre-purchasing definitely needed, at least during the holiday season?  Do they ever "not go" from Rottnest to Fremantle due to weather?  Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2019 at 10:24 AM, roothy123 said:

I would love to go to Rottnest Island from Fremantle, and have found the ferry schedules.  I'm now trying to get an idea what my choices are for getting around the island once I'm there.  We'll be going Christmas week, so I imagine things will be hopping.  If anyone can comment on the two major tour options available there, I'd love to hear your comments.  The Bayseeker Tour sounds like a tour in which you're guaranteed a seat once you buy your ticket, and it sounds like it's a real "tour" - i.e., few places to get off and explore, with mostly riding around.  The Explorer Bus sounds like a Hop On Hop Off bus of sorts, but are there problems getting on it, or getting a seat?   Sometimes HoHo buses can be overcrowded, resulting in a wait for another bus.  Does either bus go near the lighthouse that is in the middle of the island?  Can you see it, or better yet, walk to it, from a stop or from the road?  Are there any pros/cons to taking the Explorer Bus versus the Bayseeker Tour?  And what about the ferries?  Are they both pretty reliable?  Is pre-purchasing definitely needed, at least during the holiday season?  Do they ever "not go" from Rottnest to Fremantle due to weather?  Thank you!

Christmas time is the busiest time on Rottnest Island, as it is our summer break with NYE. Recommend you pre book ferries for your preferred departure date & time and also for your return. Ferries are VERY reliable as our weather is not likely to be adverse, being our summer. Ferries depart from Perth, Fremantle and also from Hillary’s Marina, north of Fremantle along our coast. There are schedules a few times per day. The ferry from Perth will give you a great scenic cruise along the Swan River before getting to Fremantle , our harbour.

The most popular means of transport for most people get around Rottnest is by push bike, these can be hired when you get to the Island. (Vehicles are not allowed on the Island) This can depend on how long you will be staying there for. For a short visit the buses that go around will be frequent and you should not have a problem getting a seat at all. 85% of people are riding their bikes! 

For all info go to www.rottnestisland.com