Sol y Mar or Maya Key

cruisin2000

We are 4 adults and a 5 year old. Looking for nice beach but need shade or umbrellas. Two of us looking for relaxing day on the beach and 2 are more active and would appreciate more activities. The 5 year old will be happy in the water all day. Would appreciate any recommendation.....thank you.

On 12/5/2019 at 6:21 PM, cruisin2000 said:

We are 4 adults and a 5 year old. Looking for nice beach but need shade or umbrellas. Two of us looking for relaxing day on the beach and 2 are more active and would appreciate more activities. The 5 year old will be happy in the water all day. Would appreciate any recommendation.....thank you.

Sol y Mar is basically a beach day. It has a reasonable sized beach. When you arrive you are put into designated areas with a waiter and loungers. I found shade a little lacking as the day went on and the sun moved (no umbrellas) but I pulled my lounger away from original area and there are palm trees for shade further back from the ocean. There are some water sports and snorkeling for active adults. There are some inflatable swans to rent for children. Easy beach access into sea I wore water shoes mainly because I always do, not sure they were necessary. It is a much closer to Cozen Hole than the popular West Bay area and no vendors. We just opted for PAYG package. No pool.

http://www.solymarroatan.com

Maya Key has more variety of options of things to do- places to walk, some animals to visit. It has a beach but we have never stayed in that area and have preferred the area around the pool. It probably has better snorkeling off a pier but currents can be strong depending on weather.Lunch is included in price but drinks are extra. It is a very convenient and easy boat ride (5 minutes) from the port if you are on a ship docking at Cozen Hole. Again no vendors. We have visited with a toddler.

Depends what sort of day you want. Facilities are good at both and I would return to either.

Edited by c-leg5

On 12/7/2019 at 1:57 PM, c-leg5 said:

Sol y Mar is basically a beach day. It has a reasonable sized beach. When you arrive you are put into designated areas with a waiter and loungers. I found shade a little lacking as the day went on and the sun moved (no umbrellas) but I pulled my lounger away from original area and there are palm trees for shade further back from the ocean. There are some water sports and snorkeling for active adults. There are some inflatable swans to rent for children. Easy beach access into sea I wore water shoes mainly because I always do, not sure they were necessary. It is a much closer to Cozen Hole than the popular West Bay area and no vendors. We just opted for PAYG package. No pool.

http://www.solymarroatan.com

Maya Key has more variety of options of things to do- places to walk, some animals to visit. It has a beach but we have never stayed in that area and have preferred the area around the pool. It probably has better snorkeling off a pier but currents can be strong depending on weather.Lunch is included in price but drinks are extra. It is a very convenient and easy boat ride (5 minutes) from the port if you are on a ship docking at Cozen Hole. Again no vendors. We have visited with a toddler.

Depends what sort of day you want. Facilities are good at both and I would return to either.

Thank you for the info. We decided on Maya Key and it can only be booked through the cruise line. I went to book it and they were sold out! So, Sol y mar it is!