NCL Encore Dec 8-15 2019 Tips

G2inger

4 hours ago, dshefter said:

Hardly do what you want when you want. It's more like do what you want when it is available.

To be fair - for the go-karts would you rather schedule a time or stand in line for an hour waiting for a turn?  Same applies to laser tag.  Comedy club has scheduled shows, it's not like you can arrive whenever you want and walk in for a show.  Same applies to the theater shows.

As for the theater shows - the Bliss (the ship I know but the Joy and Encore are probably similar) has a 950 seat theater, not even enough seats to allow everyone to see each show if they do 4 performances of each (ship has over 4,000 at max occupancy).  Would you rather schedule to go or hope you can get in on standby, possibly missing out because you can't get in?

Personally - I'd rather maximize free time based on when certain activities are.

2 minutes ago, hallux said:

To be fair - for the go-karts would you rather schedule a time or stand in line for an hour waiting for a turn?  Same applies to laser tag.  Comedy club has scheduled shows, it's not like you can arrive whenever you want and walk in for a show.  Same applies to the theater shows.

As for the theater shows - the Bliss (the ship I know but the Joy and Encore are probably similar) has a 950 seat theater, not even enough seats to allow everyone to see each show if they do 4 performances of each (ship has over 4,000 at max occupancy).  Would you rather schedule to go or hope you can get in on standby, possibly missing out because you can't get in?

Personally - I'd rather maximize free time based on when certain activities are.

Would be nice to be able to make reservations prior to the cruise instead of having to rush to the TVs or The Social to make times.

Hi.  Answering a couple of questions.  Yes LaserTag, Pavillion and Go Carts can be booked at Social. I have not tried the touch screens by the elevator, but if that works, it is better than standing in lines for sure. We made reservations for two cabins at a time for everything because we also were linked by NCL before we got there (Usually I was on one line and my husband was another or enjoying the scenery).  If you have not done this before call NCL before your cruise and just tell them these 3 cabins are pretty much traveling together as a group.  It makes collective bookings so much easier (only 1 person has to book for the whole). Each cabin does get booked separately, not collectively.

Yes, I thought it would be much better if NCL allows people to book 50% of available seats, spots online before cruising (with a a minimal charge for no shows if not canceled 24 hours before) and the rest of available spots booked on board.  We saw so many restaurants with empty tables (except last 2 nights, the theater always had seats.  The comedy shows, go-carts and laser-tag and pavilion were led downs when people could not find availability.  But here is the thing, who know what every member of the group wants to do on the ship every minute of 7 days before they ever get on board? We kept cancelling Lasertag because were able to get better dinner reservations, or there was a great music option we wanted to attend.

True, NCL has to develop a better system.  We felt we had to book another trip to experience everything the ship has to offer, we just weren't well informed.  On the last of night of our cruise we went to check out the Pavillion and it looked so cool and we wanted to try it - and that is when we were told that everything was sold out for a long time and we should have booked when we got onboard. Overall we had a great time.  Yes things could have been done more efficiently to minimize frustrations and waittimes onlines but we felt we were spolied with the the great entertainment we got to enjoy for basically free with a low crusie fare. Going to see Choir of Man and Kinky Boots in NY would have cost us a lot more that this cruise with the seats that we had.  

This is why I wanted to give interested people some tips that I wish we knew before our trip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G2inger said:

It makes collective bookings so much easier (only 1 person has to book for the whole). Each cabin does get booked separately, not collectively.

Sorry if this is not clear I meant one person can book 3 cabins for something but each cabin will be billed individually if there is a charge.  And Vibe passes are sold next to the Social (there are signs)

Glad you enjoyed your trip, thanks for the tips!  Maybe not a great question for you since you had trouble with the app, but do you know if it theoretically would have worked in the terminal or only once on board?  Is the comedy show only booked in Social, or do you know if it is available via the app?  And did you use the $9.95 option to text people through the app on the ship's wifi, and if so was the charge for the full week or per day?  Thanks in advance!

I believe the App works only onboard.  It did end up working just not when we first got on board, so we stood in lines. Comedy show can be booked on App, Social or Box Office, Video displays in Hallways but only if they are available which they weren't by noon. We did not use App to text others. sorry. Enjoy your trip!