live Island Princess 59 day Circle South America Ja 9 -Mr 7

Waynetor

2 hours ago, Waynetor said:

Day 50 Thursday, Feb 27, at sea

Today we had a cloudy morning and late afternoon but nice mid day- 28C (82F) with slight seas.  At noon we were 50nm off the coast. 

Yesterday we passed the cruise port cities of Recife and Natal and today we passed Fortaleza – all ports we visited in Jan 2008.

The latest update on the equator crossing is between 6 and 6:30am tomorrow- there will be a ceremony later in the morning.

The youngest passenger on board had his 2nd birthday this week.  He will be platinum when he gets to Ft. L.  I’m sure he will appreciate his free internet on his next cruise.

At lunch today we had a table out by the grill, a little old couple walked slowly up to the grill and order`s 1 burger and 1 small order of fries.  The couple took a table near the railing and started taking food off of the plate.  They asked the waiter to bring them an ice-tea.  Soon it was delivered and so there they sat with one hamburger, one order of French fries and one drink.
The little old man carefully cut the burger in half.  He placed one half in front of his wife.  Then he carefully counted out the French fries, divided them in two piles and neatly placed one pile in front of his wife.  He took a sip of the drink, his wife took a sip and then set the cup down between them.
As the man began to eat his few bites of hamburger, when a waiter saw what was happening, he politely offered to get another meal for the old couple to eat.  The old man replied that they were just fine. They were used to sharing everything.
Then the waiter noticed that the little old lady hadn’t eaten a bite.  She just sat there watching her husband eat and occasionally taking turns sipping the drink.  Again, the young waiter came over and begged them to let him get them something additional to eat.  The man again explained that no, they were used to sharing everything together.
As the little old man finished eating and was wiping his face neatly with a napkin, the young waiter passing by again could stand it no longer.  Again, he offered to get them some additional food to eat.  After being politely refused again, he finally asked a question of the little old lady: “Ma’am, why aren’t you eating?
You said that you share everything.  What is it that you are waiting for?”
She answered, “The teeth.”

Today's thought of the day – Never confuse motion with action. – Benjamin Franklin

You're the absolute best, Wayneter.  Jack 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2old4this said:

Where did you pass this fortress?  I've been in that part of the world and missed it.  Jack 

1 minute ago, 2old4this said:

Where did you pass this fortress?  I've been in that part of the world and missed it.  Jack 

Great shot of Island Princess.  It looks so neat and clean.  I'm anxious to put it to the test in July.  Jack 

Feb 29 Devil's Island (Isle Royale), French Guiana  3pm – 5pm

Today is Leap day – a rare day indeed .  The rule is it falls in any year divisible by 4, but not by 100, unless that year is evenly divisible by 400.  So, 1900 was not, 2000 was and 2100 will not be.

Cruise lines will occasionally do what is called scenic cruising – you get to view some special place but only from the ship.  On this cruise we had Cape Horn (were scheduled also for Amalia Glacier).  The itinerary for this cruise for today is “Devil's Island (Isle Royale), French Guiana 3pm – 5pm”.  It is normally a tender port, but it was clear that we were not going to be going ashore and back in 2 hours.  I’m not sure what the person who decided to add this to the itinerary was thinking.  The only thing that makes sense is, with 5 days at sea, throwing in this “take a look” visit looks better by breaking up the sea day stretch.

In 2008 we supposed to stop here for a port day starting at 7am.  At that time, we were just waking up and the captain came on the PA announcing that a tender had gone ashore and determined that it was to rough to tender so the port was being cancelled and we were heading to the next port.  I quickly jumped up and threw on some clothes and went to have a look.  By that time the island was just a pimple sticking up in the distance.  By saving 8 port hours, I was amazed that we did not stay and let everyone have a look before steaming off (we did not arrive at the next port any earlier).  Today we got to have the look that my fellow passengers back in 2008 should have had.

Fortunately, I did get back here in 2016 and was able to spend a few hours on the island.  The island does not have a lot to offer other than seeing the decaying ruins of a prison and its related buildings.  The island was home to a brutal French penal colony that closed in 1952.  The prison was made famous in the 1969 book ‘Papillon’ and 1973 movie by the same name.

I did see White Throated Capuchin monkeys, Agoutis, iguanas, peacocks, pheasants, chickens and some other birds. 

In my humble opinion it is a complete waste to make Devil’s Island a stop on this cruise.  Looking at some small islands covered in trees is not that exciting.  Surely there are other places we could have cruised by that would have given nicer views or we could have cut off an hour or so from Armacao dos Buzios, Salvador and our next port in order to give some extra time for quick tours of Devils Island.

We basically sailed along one side of the group of 3 island, did a 180 and sailed back before leaving.  There where a few small boats there.  No sign of what went on here years ago.  We could see some outline of the mainland but a bit hazy.

The morning highlight was a passenger boat building contest.  There were 9 entries and most were done very well.  Voting was done by a group of passengers.

Today’s thought of the day - Nothing so liberalizes a man and expands the kindly instincts that nature put in him as travel and contact with many kinds of people. - Mark Twain

58 minutes ago, Waynetor said:

Boats were judged close up out of water and then by sea trials

first pic won

second pic was great but declined to do sea trail

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0293.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

Great write-up and sharp photos, too.  Thanks.  Jack 

Easter Island - Birdman competition

men wait in man-made cave for birds to return to island. The climb down cliff, swim about  a mile to island, climb to top, steal egg, climb down, swim back and re climb big cliff without breaking the egg

7 Orongo village place celebrated the Birdman ceramony IMG_1450.JPG

7 Orongo village place celebrated the Birdman ceramony IMG_1445.JPG

• Like 1

You are getting the most out of your 59 days aboard Island.  That's for sure!  Was the climb to the tower worth the effort?  Have any idea what one of those boats would cost should you have been in the market for one.  Finally, was the visit to Easter Island as great as I have long imagined - I always wanted to see it as one of my bucket list destinations.  Jack