Price hikes??

Scorpiorose

Ok, I keep hearing that cruise costs will go down to sell all cabins closer to sailing date, and if they do to call and get a price adjustment. I've been checking and ours is going up. Am I looking at the wrong place or does that happen from time to time? Also, there seems to be a big difference between on line TA, sometimes hundreds of $$? Is this typical? We're already locked and loaded for our first cruise on April 2nd on the Miracle, so I understand I really can't do much if the price changes, correct? I want to get better at this because I'm in charge of booking and organizing a family reunion cruise in 2008 for 25 people of all ages, and a blended family cruise for my BF, his kids and mine in 2007. I've made some new cruiser mistakes on the one BF and myself will take in April, like we didn't get his military discount, I paid in full way too early...things like that! Thanks for any advise!!! Oh and anyone else sailing with us say hello - we like to socialize and are traveling alone! Happy cruising!:)

A word of advice (husband and I are TA's). Call a TA and have them block off group space for your 2008 sailing. You'll get cheaper prices per person, and can offer amenities such as onboard credits, open-bar cocktail party, wine in each cabin, etc. Also let the TA know which passengers are past guests or military. Try to book your 2008 as soon as prices and itineraries are listed on carnival.com. The earlier the better!

The minimum required cabins to constitute a "group rate" is 8 (assuming double-occupancy).

Also, with that many people, if you go through a TA, sometimes they themselves will offer your group some amenities as a "thank-you" (we always do).

Have fun on your April sailing!

Thanks for a speedy reply! One more question to anyone - how do we sign up for the carnival ride from the airport to the ship? I didn't see it on the web site. Also....ok....two questions....we just booked the cabin on the website, does that mean that's the one we get, or was I supposed to do something to secure it for us? I am confused on this point. Will we be bumped unless I do something? I have no idea how to do the upgrade thing! Thanks for being patient with this new cruiser! :p

We had all ready booked and paid our deposit with a TA. Then we found out abou the military discount. Our TA had us fax DH's ID card to Carnival and then she adjusted our price for the discount. I think you should still be able to get the military discount, call your TA and request the discount.

As has been said, prices are controlled by supply and demand. I did a wedding cruise last year for our granddaughter: we choose not to do the group thing, but to book as individuals. It worked out well: most of the guests booked early in Jan, some in Feb. The prices dropped considerably so I got the adjusted lower price. By the time we got close to sailing the prices had jumped and were higher than the original. No, they do not always go down, anymore than air always goes down closer to your travel date. I do beleive using a TA is the best answer, but of course, I am one. Do ya think I may be a little biased? LOL

Depending on how you booked either call your TA or your Carnival PVP and let them know you want to include the transfers. You can also ask them what your cabin # is at that time as well.

If you chose a cabin assignment when you booked and you actually got a cabin #, that will be your cabin, unless you booked a "guarantee". They will not just switch you to another cabin without first contacting you.

Hope this helps! :)

You may be but I appreciate your advise all the same, and I've heard that before as well from other cruisers! I'll be sure to do a group thing for out next two cruises! I did call priceline, they called carnival and it was a no on the military discount. Will try again, sometimes different people, different answer...I will also mention I certainly wont book with them again if I dont get that discount....I'm determined to not miss out on this. My BF is a vet of the gulf war and a AF pilot so is certainly deserving of the discount. Also in the reunion group my dad is an AF vet and we'll need that again. It was ok to book for just us, but I agree, having a real TA would be best for this many people. You know what an unhappy family can to to ya if you screw up:p ! Thanks again!

If you're going to be doing a group cruise I would highly suggest that you find an experienced TA and not a internet agency. If you were more experienced with this it would be a different story but I have always found in my years of cruising that a good TA can be a lifesaver when opportunities arise. The lowest price is not always the way to go. Just my two cents on this subject.

You may be but I appreciate your advise all the same, and I've heard that before as well from other cruisers! I'll be sure to do a group thing for out next two cruises! I did call priceline, they called carnival and it was a no on the military discount. Will try again, sometimes different people, different answer...I will also mention I certainly wont book with them again if I dont get that discount....I'm determined to not miss out on this. My BF is a vet of the gulf war and a AF pilot so is certainly deserving of the discount. Also in the reunion group my dad is an AF vet and we'll need that again. It was ok to book for just us, but I agree, having a real TA would be best for this many people. You know what an unhappy family can to to ya if you screw up:p ! Thanks again!
Just a couple of things I would like to mention for what they are worth: For large groups, as has been said, please use a reliable live TA and not an internet company. Internet companies certainly are not always bad, but when you needs are a bit different than the run of the mill booking, a TA can be a wonderful asset and it doesn't cost you anything. My second comment, I know how much the military discount means to those who have served or those who have family members who have served and I am surprised you were told NO MILITARY discount. This could be due to a couple of things; Priceline may not have really called, they may have called and got an agent that didn't have a clue or and this is a posibility, if the ship was close to full Carnival may have been offering no discounts period. Remember discounts do not alway apply. You are right to try again. Good luck, NMNita

Could be that, as with frequent flyer award seats, there are only a set number of "military discount" cabins available for each sailing. Once they are sold out, no more discounts are given even though you may qualify for one. Maybe booking early is the best way to ensure you get the discount you deserve.

Scorpiorose, as others suggested, when offered, the number of military cabins is limited per sailing. Sometimes they sell out early, sometimes not. In checking your cruise against a couple of the online TA's that list military rates, I did not see any military rates offered at this time. The Miracle is listed on some other dates, though, so it would seem that they probably sold out for Apr 2. Sorry.

Hello,

We just booked our 24th cruise! Carnival Valor 5/14/06, this is our 4th Carnival cruise. We got the military discount that was better than the past passenger rate, FL resident rate or senior rate. :)

For the 1st time we were asked if anyone had been in the military.

My husband had been in the Army. Our TA told us we would be eligible for a military discount.

Never had anyone ever mentioned this to us before!

Is Carnival the only cruise line that gives this discount?

I know I had seen before active military discounts but had never known that previous military service was eligible for a discount as well.

It is a shame that more TA's do not ask or else we would have been able to take advantage of this before. Better late than never :)

Scorpiorose, as others suggested, when offered, the number of military cabins is limited per sailing. Sometimes they sell out early, sometimes not. In checking your cruise against a couple of the online TA's that list military rates, I did not see any military rates offered at this time. The Miracle is listed on some other dates, though, so it would seem that they probably sold out for Apr 2. Sorry.

April second is still a pretty busy time: spring break is not official over til the week after Easter so most sailing will go out rather full. Again, try one more phone call just to be on the safe side, but my feeling is, you will probably not be able to use any discounts at that time. Good luck and keep us posted. NMNita

Hello,

We just booked our 24th cruise! Carnival Valor 5/14/06, this is our 4th Carnival cruise. We got the military discount that was better than the past passenger rate, FL resident rate or senior rate. :)

For the 1st time we were asked if anyone had been in the military.

My husband had been in the Army. Our TA told us we would be eligible for a military discount.

Never had anyone ever mentioned this to us before!

Is Carnival the only cruise line that gives this discount?

I know I had seen before active military discounts but had never known that previous military service was eligible for a discount as well.

It is a shame that more TA's do not ask or else we would have been able to take advantage of this before. Better late than never :)

no, Carnival is not the only line that gives the discount, but each has it's own rules as to who it applies to. NCL works about the same as Carnival; you are right, as agents our job is to try and get the best deal we can get for you. Asking questions is the name of the game. That is how we determine what line might best fit your needs, when is the best time for you to cruise if you have a choice and how we can get you the most for the least financual output. With that being said, mid May is the low season and early April still high. Generally speaking rates are low from just after EAster til around Memorial day when school breaks start. Rates stay high until mid Sept, drop again til the week prior to Thanksgiving or should I say Thanksgiving week, then shoot up and down again early Dec til about the 20th. They drop again in Jan and start climbing about late Feb until Easter. These are the times when discounts are harder to come by. Again, I am generalizing. NMNita

Our cruise price has gone up $150 per person for our April/2006 cruise (we bought last August). When you factor in we have six in our group (five in our family and one teen is bringing a friend), that is a huge savings. I'm glad we booked when we did.

Archived