Trying to add Fjords to Transatlantic in Aug/Sept- any tricks?

Syzygy2002

My husband and I are booked for a transatlantic on 9/4 (our second on QM2) and noticed there's a Norwegian Fjords trip the 8 days prior. I just called Cunard to inquire about the possibility of adding that trip (to make a 2 week trip) and remaining in the same cabin (we're in a balcony but are flexible on which type) and were told that it's impossible. I guess I'm having a hard time believing that there are no balcony cabins of *ANY* type available on BOTH trips this far in advance (particularly since I see them available online and am flexible about which balcony). Has anyone tried to do this type of thing before and been successful? Is this something a travel agent might have better luck with? Thanks so much in advance. 

Did Cunard misunderstand and think you meant the same cabin as oposed to the same category of cabin?

Some people ask for particular cabins and want to stay in them. Moving cabins is very easy as most of it is done for you.

Edited by Summergee
To add more

Thank you, Summergee- I was pretty clear that I was ok to switch cabins/balcony types. I'm wondering now, though, if they were only going for upgrades instead of downgrades (I really just want the same cabin of any balcony type). Maybe I'll call back (or call back after the deposit due date is over to see if things shuffle around). 

I guess my main concern is that the day in Southampton be an excursion for us. I was hoping to just be able to hop off and go to the Solent museum and not have to worry about packing up and leaving one cabin and unpacking in another.).  Oh well. 🙂

As long as it's a sheltered balcony, it should be possible to get the same cabin for both voyages. That's the only Britannia balcony category I'm seeing currently available on their Sept. 4th crossing. I am seeing many cases where the same sheltered balcony cabin is showing as available on both the Sept. 4th crossing and the preceding Aug. 28th Fjords cruise.

What grade of balcony cabin are you currently in on the Sept 4th crossing? Perhaps the issue is that you would be attempting to downgrade to a sheltered balcony on your existing booking to accomplish what you want.

Are you from the US or the UK? If you have a US booking, you should have the option of cancelling your existing booking and then re-booking both voyages in the same cabin without penalty (unless you booked a fare with a non-refundable deposit). You would of course have to re-book at the current fare and other booking conditions to do it that way.

Edited by bluemarble
Corrected voyage dates

When we did the Fjords on the QE2 we flew to London and transit to Southampton.

Then we sailed from Southampton on to the Fjords and TA back to New York.

Enjoyed the Fjords and rested on the voyage back across the pond...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

As long as it's a sheltered balcony, it should be possible to get the same cabin for both voyages. That's the only Britannia balcony category I'm seeing currently available on their Sept. 4th crossing. I am seeing many cases where the same sheltered balcony cabin is showing as available on both the Sept. 4th crossing and the preceding Aug. 28th Fjords cruise.

What grade of balcony cabin are you currently in on the Sept 4th crossing? Perhaps the issue is that you would be attempting to downgrade to a sheltered balcony on your existing booking to accomplish what you want.

Are you from the US or the UK? If you have a US booking, you should have the option of cancelling your existing booking and then re-booking both voyages in the same cabin without penalty (unless you booked a fare with a non-refundable deposit). You would of course have to re-book at the current fare and other booking conditions to do it that way.

We're in one of the glass-fronted balconies, though I'm open to a metal sheltered balcony if this would enable us to keep the same cabin. I'm thinking my first hunch was correct- they're trying to avoid downgrading us (at the expense of another booking from us, incredibly). We're in the US. We're not in a non-refundable cabin. I'll chat with my husband but may see about cancelling and rebooking. It seems more a hassle instead of just reassigning our cabin and adding the second voyage, but what do I know.  Thank you so much for your help, bluemarble!

45 minutes ago, Syzygy2002 said:

We're in one of the glass-fronted balconies, though I'm open to a metal sheltered balcony if this would enable us to keep the same cabin. I'm thinking my first hunch was correct- they're trying to avoid downgrading us (at the expense of another booking from us, incredibly). We're in the US. We're not in a non-refundable cabin. I'll chat with my husband but may see about cancelling and rebooking. It seems more a hassle instead of just reassigning our cabin and adding the second voyage, but what do I know.  Thank you so much for your help, bluemarble!

Glad to help. If you do manage to get two bookings in the same cabin, be sure to request the "No Upgrade" option on each booking as we've been discussing in the "Unwanted Upgrade" thread. Otherwise you might end up with Cunard giving you a complimentary upgrade on one of your bookings, moving you to a different cabin for that voyage and defeating what you want to accomplish.

On the other hand, do consider booking into a different glass-fronted balcony for the Fjords cruise. I haven't moved cabins between voyages myself, but as Summergee has stated, I understand the process is relatively painless. You shouldn't have a problem getting that move initiated on the morning of your day in Southampton and be on your way to the Solent museum in time for their 10:00am opening time.

25 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Glad to help. If you do manage to get two bookings in the same cabin, be sure to request the "No Upgrade" option on each booking as we've been discussing in the "Unwanted Upgrade" thread. Otherwise you might end up with Cunard giving you a complimentary upgrade on one of your bookings, moving you to a different cabin for that voyage and defeating what you want to accomplish.

On the other hand, do consider booking into a different glass-fronted balcony for the Fjords cruise. I haven't moved cabins between voyages myself, but as Summergee has stated, I understand the process is relatively painless. You shouldn't have a problem getting that move initiated on the morning of your day in Southampton and be on your way to the Solent museum in time for their 10:00am opening time.

Aha! Brilliant suggestion to note the unwanted upgrade! It sounds like swapping cabins may not be the hassle I anticipated, so I thank you all so much for your advice!