TIPPING ADVICE

TNT1981

When we sailed the first time it was with RCCL and they gave you guidelines for tipping and you placed them in envelopes to pass out on your last night. In all of my reading with carnival it is automatically added to your account. We will be traveling with our 2 teenage girls and it is up to them where we eat (except on the formal night).

Let me say right now I want to be fair but at the same time I don't want to pay for something that I only used once.

What is the right thing to do? Should we leave the entire amount on our charge account? Do we adjust it for the nights that we don't eat in the dining room? Is it a problem to adjust it? Someone please give me some advice!

I'd leave it on--at minimum. Reason is simple...your waiter will probably work at the Lido/midnight buffet. Or who knows where. They don't just stay in the Dining Room.

sleazy2.gif

It is very easy to adjust. Simply go to the pursers information desk, preferably during a slow time, and have the amount adjusted. It only takes a minute and it is done. You can take it all off and tip in person if you want. I don't know if there is any right answer as to whether or not they should tip the waiters when they won't be using the dining room. I know that if I never used it I would adjust the amount down accordingly.

carnival.jpg

Tony

2004 Legend March 28th

2003 Paradise

2002 Paradise

2000 Destiny

1999 Fascination

1998 Fantasy

The tip you give auto is split among the waiters/busboy. THe waiters work all over as previously stated. So if you don't tip, then the person that worked in the Lido serving you breakfast and lunch will be stiffed. It's such a minimal amount that you pay and these guys work very haed/ It's one thing not to tip for poor service and another not to tip because you didn't eat in the dining room. You had to eat somewhere, so someone needs a tip.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;11;11;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0700

Carnival Legend Poker Cruise

Let's get the cards in the air

Cruises

1984 Boheme

1986 Rotterdam

1989 Costa Riveria

1990 Jubilee

1991 Ecstasy

??? Fantasy

1995 Jubilee

1999 Sensation

2000 Majesty of the Seas

2002 Grand Princess

2003 Celebrity

Plus other that slipped my mind!!

The downside to Automatic Tips is the staff doesn't get the money for 2 weeks after you cruise. I have talked with several staff members and this makes it difficult to survive if they have had some time off or just a very light week. I have done it both ways and found I take the tips off my account, pretip our room steward 50% and waitstaff 50% at the beginning of the cruise and then if the service is fantastic I give the the other 50% + more. If the service lacks, I have given them what seemed fare. I have never had a staff member refuse the tips, but I do let them know that I will be tipping myself instead of automatic tips and all have been extremely happy about this.

As far as eating on the Lido deck, If a server goes out of the way, I will make it a point to give them a few dollars. It's amazing that they will remember you when you come back out there and they are right there to take care of any needs you have.

My biggest complaint is the Matri' D in the dining room. He will stand there with his hand out even if it's the first time you see him and it's the end of the cruise. Unless he does something special for us, I don't tip him!

Tipping is a very personal subject and use you own judgement as to what you want to do. You don't have to tip automatically or it's your choice! icon_cool.gif

Sensation 9/98 10th anniv.

Big Red Boat 5/99

Ecstasy 10/00

Destiny 9/01 The week of 911

Victory 10/01

Imagination 12/20/01

Imagination 2/4/02

Zuiderdam 9/6/03 - 15th anniv.

Carnival Legend 11/27/04

Happiness is being on a cruise

with the one you love!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;11;27;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Legend Here We Come 11/27

I did the auto tip, and my service couldn't be better. I also gave my room steward an extra 20 dollars when we left and our head waiter 10. It was alot easier and they were wonderful.

The Carnival Glory !!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;4;17;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived