Juneau Helicopter/whale watch combo tour?

sepalma23

Hello.  Was just curious if anyone has done this in Juneau or has this combo tour booked for an upcoming trip?  The travel agent we booked with sent me a cruise sheet with many excursions, and this was one of them.  You do the whale watch first on a boat, then go on a helicopter glacier tour which also lands on the glacier.  The price of this tour is $500 PP.  We are booked on RC and they don't offer this combo tour.  Some of the helicopter tours they do offer are over $400 PP and this is just for the glacier tour.  They do offer the helicopter glacier/dog sledding combo for $678 PP, but we're more interested in the whale watching.  I was trying to find this combo heli/whale watch tour online to read reviews, but not having much luck.  There is a whale watch/helicopter glacier landing combo on Trip Advisor for $440 PP, but there are no reviews.  Just wanted to ask around here to see if anybody has done this and can recommend a tour company!  Thank you!!!!

The question I would immediately have is:  Land on a glacier, or land and walk around on a glacier?

Years ago, I did the land on a glacier, was outfitted to walk around on a glacier listing to a (fantastic) talk.  From what I recall it was about a 4 hour tour and worth the $.   What a memory.

There are lots of helicopter tours, I would check the details to see if it's worth the time.    How much time per each adventure are you given?

There are only 3 heli operators in Juneau.   Check their web sites and see what they offer.  They're listed in the town Visitor Guide, pg32 

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/10785063#/10785063/32

With any combo trip, be sure to find out how long the whale watch tour lasts, and for the heli trip how long are you in the air and time on the glacier.

8 hours ago, Jnsplace1 said:

The question I would immediately have is:  Land on a glacier, or land and walk around on a glacier?

Years ago, I did the land on a glacier, was outfitted to walk around on a glacier listing to a (fantastic) talk.  From what I recall it was about a 4 hour tour and worth the $.   What a memory.

There are lots of helicopter tours, I would check the details to see if it's worth the time.    How much time per each adventure are you given?

The tour says you will walk on the glacier for 15-20 minutes. It doesn’t say how long each tour is only that it’s about 5 hours. 

5 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

There are only 3 heli operators in Juneau.   Check their web sites and see what they offer.  They're listed in the town Visitor Guide, pg32 

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/10785063#/10785063/32

With any combo trip, be sure to find out how long the whale watch tour lasts, and for the heli trip how long are you in the air and time on the glacier.

Thanks so much for the guide!!!  This particular tour just says it’s 5 hours long and doesn’t say how long for each one. The heli/glacier part does state we land on the glacier and walk around for about 15-20 minutes. Really want to do both whale watching and heli/glacier so this may work for us. We are only stopping in two other ports-Skagway and Victoria and I’ve already booked a private tour bus in Skagway to drive into the Yukon/Emerald Lake. I read that Juneau is the best place for the whale watching!!

Between the three stops, yes, I would say Juneau could be the best.   The 15 - 20 min is probably mostly for photo ops on the ground.   It's not a lot of time on the glacier.

That said, this option might be an option for you if you are looking at maximizing your stop between the two.   

How about you check what the two options are separately, the time that the tours spend at each one.  Then you can see if you are getting the best "value".