Child-friendly, safe options in St Maarten

backforty

What 100% safe options are there for a woman and young child to do in St Maarten? (not a booked excursion)

1. Is there a decent beach within a 5 minute walk from dock? If so , how do you get there? Is it free? 

2. If not, where is the closest decent beach, and how do you get there?

3. What are my other (safe) options that would occupy a young child for the day and not cost much? 

We haven't been there yet, but are planning to go in May.  How young is your young child?

My understanding is there is a water shuttle/ferry at the dock for around $7 round trip that will take you to Great Bay beach (which I think is free, but a charge for chairs/umbrellas/food).  

We plan to walk to Yoda Guy exhibit (I think it's around $10-15 per person) which is about a 15 minute walk according to Google Maps (1.5 KM) then continue to the beach.  Most people can walk 5K in less than an hour if that helps as a frame of reference.  It will of course take longer it your child is still young enough to be distracted and want to see everything on the walk 😉 My "baby" just turned 15 and sometimes I miss those days when you had to stop and admire the dandelions. 

20 hours ago, backforty said:

What 100% safe options are there for a woman and young child to do in St Maarten? (not a booked excursion)

Nothing, anywhere, is 100% safe. Always be aware of your surroundings and take precautions. 

1. Is there a decent beach within a 5 minute walk from dock? If so , how do you get there? Is it free? 

Not 5 minute walk, but Great Bay Beach is close by. It would technically be walkable but they do offer a water taxi to get there. 

2. If not, where is the closest decent beach, and how do you get there?

There are nicer beaches that you can take a taxi to that are interesting. Maho is the famous beach that planes fly over-- depending on how hold your kid is they could find this interesting (although watch out for the blast from the jets that can sometimes send kids tumbling if they are right where the planes land. 

On the French side of the island, Orient Bay is most likely the nicest although it is clothing optional and very European. There are many families that go but that's obviously up to your comfort level. Grand Case is also nice on the French side. 

3. What are my other (safe) options that would occupy a young child for the day and not cost much? 

Theres nothing on the island that's particularly dangerous-- its nearly all geared to being a resort.