Snorkel in Alaska?

Mandypup

Read this and this.

BTW, I knew that these message threads were there, but I used the search function and the keyword "Alaska" to find them. You might also get some information in the Alaska section of Ports of Call if you use the keyword "snorkel" in a search there.

In a related note, I'm driving up to British Columbia in less than 2 weeks to go scuba diving. I went last year at this time and had a super trip. Yes, the water was cold, 45f. No, it didn't matter because I have a drysuit.

Has anyone done this? Can you describe/rate/advise on whether this is worth doing? Where did you snorkel and with what tour operator? Thanks for any help!

I live in Alaska (Anchorage) but travel to SE Alaska frequently. I don't think you would even find anybody doing snorkeling for two reasons.

1. Water is too damn cold unless you have a drysuit 2. In summer you get algae blooms so visibility is bad.

YOu could always check with the Dive shops.

Juneau - Dive Alaska http://www.Divealaska.com

Sitka - Clay's Dive shop akdiver@ptialaska.net

Scott

I live in Alaska (Anchorage) but travel to SE Alaska frequently. I don't think you would even find anybody doing snorkeling for two reasons.

1. Water is too damn cold unless you have a drysuit 2. In summer you get algae blooms so visibility is bad.

YOu could always check with the Dive shops.

Juneau - Dive Alaska http://www.Divealaska.com

Sitka - Clay's Dive shop akdiver@ptialaska.net

Scott

3. Polar Bears can swim down to 20 foot depths. Yikes!

I snorkeled in Alaska in 2003 in Ketchikan, through the ship's excursion and had a blast. I'm pretty sure it was Snorkel Alaska (I bought a tee shirt to "prove" I went and wore it out, so I can't check that way for the name).

I was on a Princess ship.

It was early July - the water was cold, but we were outfitted with full wet suits, including hoods, booties, gloves and I was more comfortable there than snorkeling in the Mexican Riviera in May without a wet suit.

We were instructed to bring our bathing suits with us and we changed into our suits and then put on the wet suits. This way, when we got back we had a full set of dry clothes to change back into.

I couldn't convince anyone with my party to go with me, so I went alone (well, with about 15 other hardy souls).

We saw so many varieties of sea stars...I didn't even know there was more than one!

The visibility wasn't as good as that in the Caribbean, but we could see enough and the guides with us would dive down and bring different sea life up to the surface for us to see.

If I ever go back to Ketchikan, I'm definitely snorkeling again!

h...i we snorkeled in Juneau ..we did a ships excursion on the Ocean Princess in 2001...they gave us full suits..everything is covered....water was coooooolddddd...we saw mostly kelp...and the guide dove down and brought up some sea cucumbers and a few other things...it wasnt the Caribbean but it was fun.....and different...I am glad we did it Marianne

Archived