Crab Legs

rjg41

We will be sailing on Star Princess this fall. There have been posted her and elsewhere about the seafood buffet. We did not have the seafood buffet on our Coral cruise. I have a question.

As a preface, many people confuse snow crab legs with Alaskan King Crab legs. Much of this confusion has been caused by less than honest restaurants and fish marketers. Snow crab, a less desirable and more abundant crab, therefore much a cheaper product, has been advertised in a way to suggest it is Alaskan King Crab. Years ago they actually called it Alaskan King Crab but that got fixed. Now some use the term Alaskan crab legs since snow crabs are farmed in "Aklaskan" waters. However, as most of you know there is a dramatic differance between the two products.

Now, the question. Is it true Alaskan King Crab or snow crab served on Princess ships?

Thanks in advance.

I've eaten snow and king on princess ships...alas no dungeness, my favorite. As a westerner and a scuba fan, I assure you I know the difference. Unfortunately on my last cruise (Dawn 10 day), crab cakes was the only crab dish offered, I didn't see crab legs at all. I don't know if they couldnt get them or what...but on the other cruises King Crab legs were offered on one formal night (lobster the other) and snow in between.

Archived