Question about cruise booked after 10/1/20

Hello all.  Obviously Carnival does not have an amended cancellation policy for cruises after 9/30.  Our cruise is in October and we will likely be canceling.  Final payment is 75 days before departure in our case.  I see no benefit to “pay in full” in order to get future OBC on a cruise I probably am not going on.  

What will you do if your final due date is approaching & don’t want OBC?  Another factor for me is that $500 of what was paid was on a Carnival gift card.  If refunded to that card I doubt the re-sell market will recoup even 50%.  I probably would just gift it to someone.  Not trying to be controversial here but I see much less incentive to buy discounted gift cards right now.  Thanks

5 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Hello all.  Obviously Carnival does not have an amended cancellation policy for cruises after 9/30.  Our cruise is in October and we will likely be canceling.  Final payment is 75 days before departure in our case.  I see no benefit to “pay in full” in order to get future OBC on a cruise I probably am not going on.  

What will you do if your final due date is approaching & don’t want OBC?  Another factor for me is that $500 of what was paid was on a Carnival gift card.  If refunded to that card I doubt the re-sell market will recoup even 50%.  I probably would just gift it to someone.  Not trying to be controversial here but I see much less incentive to buy discounted gift cards right now.  Thanks

I don't know why you think you won't be able to recoup most of your gift card. I just booked a cruise for March 2021. Everyone has to do what's best for them and if that means not cruising for you I respect that. But I don't think cruising is going away. You will be able to get a lot of that money back. 

@RhinoMomIL

I respect your opinion too & agree to do what’s right for you.  Yesterday I booked a personal flight for next month to see relatives too far away to drive to see.  So I’m not totally risk averse but like many others posting this week are less than impressed with Carnival’s lack of responsiveness to customers, turning them away at port without legitimate safety reasons and providing inadequate refund compensation compared to some competitors.  It’s enough of a reason for me to explore other cruise lines.

Hopefully we will get more info on post 10/1 refunds once it gets closer.  I just don’t want to make any more payments if I don’t have to (final payment) without losing what I’ve paid so far.