2021 Alaska cruise options

GettotheSun

I was looking at using FCC for Alaska for next summer.  After checking prices for the Haven, I ended up going with Celebrity, The Retreat.  Now, I haven't sailed with X before, and based upon my research, it looks like The Retreat gives you a private bar and restaurant, like The Haven, but it does not have all the suites in a separate enclave, which is something we appreciate about The Haven.  I was planning to just ask for $$ back, but ended up putting FCC towards Baltics cruise in 2022.

We have actually done 4 Alaska sailings...also assuming 1st would be only.  Three with NCL, but on smaller ships (Jewel and Pearl).   We have been on the Bliss and the Encore (but not in Alaska) and enjoyed them both.  I am still waiting to do the cruise tour, but schedules perpetually confound us!  Guess that will have to wait until retirement!

Anyway, for your first trip, I don't think you can go wrong....there is something different at every port.  Just realized these are small towns (which suits me fine), so check out wildlife and scenery.  There are interesting tours about the life and hardships of the gold miners.  Have never done a helicopter tour, but our friends did it and loved it.

As to sea sickness.....get with your family doctor about a patch (scopolomine, maybe...I can't remember the name???) prior to leaving.  You have to start it before the trip, but we went on a cruise with a friend who had pretty back motion sickness as a general rule, and with the patch, he was fine!

On 7/1/2020 at 8:28 PM, Eggs2Go said:

Yes, that would be best of the best, but we're talking about going on a cruise here; in fact, a cruise that is expected to be the one and only time in Alaska, although posters have told them: You'll be back. 

yes, I thought I was 2 and done... but going back May 2021 for 3rd. (Not my destination choice but I did insist on Northbound - We started to do Southbound but it skips Glacier bay which I haven't officially done.  We did Icy Strait last year- Did the Whale and Mammal excursion - Got very seasick. We all did. Even my sister who never does. It was a good excursion tho)