Passport for Haiti (Labadee)

I understood that we can get away with just our birth certificates for the caribbean cruises until the end of this year. When I called to check the status on my passport (we decided to get one anyway and they have our birth certificates), she asked where we were sailing to. According to the passport agency, you must have a passport if you're sailing into Haiti!! Was she wrong?:confused: Did I missunderstand her? What happens to the PAX who didn't get their passports?

Also, just an FYI: I applied for my passport on 1-6-06 at our local post office. It won't be completed until 'on or about 2-21'. :eek: Then it needs 3-5 days mailing time. Did I mention that I must have it by 2-28? ARGH! There goes another $60 in expediting fees. If it's even one day delayed, I could miss the cruise. Maybe next time I'll get my act together a little sooner?

It appears that you've recieved the correct information that a passport is required for entrance to Hairi: http://www.americanpassport.com/Haiti_visa.html However, the requirement may be different if you're a cruise ship passenger. There's also a travel warning at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_917.html

You are going to Labadee which is Royal Caribbean's "private" enclave on a peninsula on the coast of Haiti. This is a secured area that is for Royal Caribbean's use only. You will not be venturing out of the secure area and will not be entering Haiti. You will not be going through immigration and therefore will not be asked to show your passport NOR your birth certificate. You will tender from the ship directly to a lovely beach area that is used exclusively for Royal Caribbean's guests. Labadee is beautiful! But all you'll need to visit Labadee (and more importantly to get back on the ship at the end of the day) is your Sea Pass card and a picture ID. Enjoy! :D

Check out http://www.travel.state.gov

Here is what I copied from a link at that site: "The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda."

You are fine without a passport.

I guess all this doesn't matter now . . . :( with all the political stuff happening there, I doubt we'll be able to stop in Labadee. boo hoo I was going to bring my Rebel just to get some good pictures too!

Maybe if I complained and screamed they would give me my money back for the cruise and bump me to the owners suite? :rolleyes: Maybe if I complained and screamed they would give me free cruises for life?

Ok ok, I'll just shut up and sit by the pool with my foo-foo drink.

Sorry HappyCruiser! :( I know just how you feel! We had to miss out on Labadee the last time we sailed Western Caribbean for the same reason! Labadee is my favorite port and I had booked the cruise for the sole purpose of returning to my favorite spot! :( Then, to make matters worse, we weren't able to anchor at Grand Cayman either! What a bummer! But, even with all the missed ports, we had the time of our lives! :D I am booked on Freedom's Western Caribbean itinerary for 2007 hoping to finally get back to Labadee! :rolleyes:

Archived