kids and formal night on Jewel

I want to thank all of you for answering my questions. I loved the idea about even dressing my kids up for the smart casual night to get them in the "mood". As far as the poster who suggested that dressing kids up and introducing them to escagot, they have never met my DD :). She has 5 foods that she eats. And trust me that is not from me not trying to get to taste more. We tried cheese fondue a couple weeks ago and one tiny bite was it.

I will probably dress them up one of the formal nights, borrowing from a friend of mine. I do feel that DS that is 5 will look sharp in really nice pants with a button down and tie, but a friend might have a jacket fo rme. We will prorbably do a family picture, and then decide from there.

Also, the idea that even if the kids club doesnt have something, that DH can take them to windjammer to fill their bellies , then we can do the pictures, have them sit for a short time and then take them to the kids club when it opens.

I know in an ideal world all 5 and 7 year olds have perfect manners. But also keep in mind that on a cruise kids are not well rested, which can make it more difficult. I do expect more out of my 7 yo DD. Of course, once they are older I would expect them to dress up and join us. I wanted to enjoy a formal dinner and thank all those that responded to alternative options. The last cruise we took the kids on was disney and some nights at dinner they could barely keep their eyes open. That was 2 years ago though.

Now I must go shopping myself, as I only have 1 formal dress that is fairly new and fits me. I am actually thinnner than I was a few years ago so many of my formal wear is a bit big, which is some ways in a shame. I would take stuff in, but nowadays a good sale can be less expensive.

Just a couple thoughts based on what we did. They do have kids food and your little ones will not have to eat escargot (my six year old will but my eight year old would rather die). The waiters will even bring it first so the kids won't starve. We would excuse ourselves before dessert (after we ordered) and take the kids to AO a couple nights. They just could not hang out that long without becoming kids. They did really well though. If my eldest can be a good kid at a meal anyone's kid can. He's a dear but a challange : )

I am including a photo a dear friend of mine took of my son on formal night. Beware the tireds :rolleyes:

Pooped2.jpg.26a56ade1fa4ba52b80a2ba00c43dca7.jpg

Here is my $ .02 worth.

I have two daughters (7 & 10), they have been on four cruises. The fifth being this July on the AOS. During the formal nights, we have them eat with my wife and I at least once on the cruise. My wife makes sure they are dressed like the adults, in a nice dress.

I personally, feel that if adults have enough money for a cruise, they should have enough money to by at least one nice outfit for the kids. I would think that most familys have a nice outfit for the kids anyway.

While it is more important for good manners, than good dress, I would think that for the most part they go together. I have seen people dressed in tuxedos and have terrible manners, but for the most part I think this is an isolated event.

We dress our girls up, not only for us, but for the other people who are on the cruise ship too.

My wife just bought Easter dresses for our girls this weekend at Target. They were $ 55 each. Surely, if a family can afford a cruise, they can afford to dress the children up.

It's probably best to never, ever assume finances. The trip may be something they have saved for years to go on, the entire family. It could be a gift and much ore expensive than they could afford on their own. I know a family who took two adopted children, both of them have HiV, and it was their wish, from Make a Wish. On top of meds not covered by insurance a $55.00 outfit would have been a real burden. While in general one hopes that people do what they can afford to do there are circumstances that would negate that. It's best just not to judge.

I am not assuming finances.

Its a wonderful thing that parents adopt two HIV kids. Most people, including myself would not do that. However, how many people on a cruise get a cruise for free. You point out a instance that I would ASSUME, hardly ever happens.

Remember when you assume, you make at *** out of u and me.

My point to my post was that getting nice clothes does not need to be expensive.

At least twice a year my wife takes the clothes that my daughters have outgrown to a consinment (?) store. She gets money from them when they sell them, and she has bought some fantastic clothes for next to nothing.

Were there is a will there is a way, and if people want to dress nicely, they usually can, for not all that much money. Sure there are exceptions to everything.

Here is my $ .02 worth.

I have two daughters (7 & 10), they have been on four cruises. The fifth being this July on the AOS. During the formal nights, we have them eat with my wife and I at least once on the cruise. My wife makes sure they are dressed like the adults, in a nice dress.

I personally, feel that if adults have enough money for a cruise, they should have enough money to by at least one nice outfit for the kids. I would think that most familys have a nice outfit for the kids anyway.

While it is more important for good manners, than good dress, I would think that for the most part they go together. I have seen people dressed in tuxedos and have terrible manners, but for the most part I think this is an isolated event.

We dress our girls up, not only for us, but for the other people who are on the cruise ship too.

My wife just bought Easter dresses for our girls this weekend at Target. They were $ 55 each. Surely, if a family can afford a cruise, they can afford to dress the children up.

Just curious, how is it you are so knowledgable about the finances of people you have never met?

fang posted "I personally, feel that if adults have enough money for a cruise, they should have enough money to by at least one nice outfit for the kids."

I may misunderstand but this sounds like an assumption to me. Also there are people who save for years for a single cruise. It happens more than you would know.

I want to thank all of you for answering my questions. I loved the idea about even dressing my kids up for the smart casual night to get them in the "mood". As far as the poster who suggested that dressing kids up and introducing them to escagot, they have never met my DD :). She has 5 foods that she eats. And trust me that is not from me not trying to get to taste more. We tried cheese fondue a couple weeks ago and one tiny bite was it.

Oddly enough my DD (now 10) is pretty much the same way. She does accompany us to dinner most evenings when we cruise. We (she and I) look at a cruise as an opportunity to try new things - and it has worked out that she has become more adventurous (still very selective but willing to try). When we were on NCL POAm in November, she DID order the escargot in Jefferson's bistro and we all tried one - we agreed the garlic was good but that eating the clove alone would be preferable to eating a snail!

I will probably dress them up one of the formal nights, borrowing from a friend of mine. I do feel that DS that is 5 will look sharp in really nice pants with a button down and tie, but a friend might have a jacket fo rme. We will prorbably do a family picture, and then decide from there.

A great idea - if you can find a jacket, go for it, but if it doesn't work out, dressy pants, with a button down oxford, and a tie is both affordable and appropriate.

Also, the idea that even if the kids club doesnt have something, that DH can take them to windjammer to fill their bellies , then we can do the pictures, have them sit for a short time and then take them to the kids club when it opens.

AO generally plans their "eat with the counselors" evenings to coincide with 'formal' night(s).

I know in an ideal world all 5 and 7 year olds have perfect manners. But also keep in mind that on a cruise kids are not well rested, which can make it more difficult. I do expect more out of my 7 yo DD. Of course, once they are older I would expect them to dress up and join us. I wanted to enjoy a formal dinner and thank all those that responded to alternative options. The last cruise we took the kids on was disney and some nights at dinner they could barely keep their eyes open. That was 2 years ago though..

They will be just fine. Ignore the posters who seem to grumble if a child was within a 100yard radius of them on their last cruise. They are the exceptions among pax (and very often those who grumble the loudest have the worst overall manners - and they are adults and 'should know better'!)

Now I must go shopping myself, as I only have 1 formal dress that is fairly new and fits me. I am actually thinnner than I was a few years ago so many of my formal wear is a bit big, which is some ways in a shame. I would take stuff in, but nowadays a good sale can be less expensive.

Good for you! I wish my stuff from a few years back was a 'bit big!. Shop and buy for yourself only if it is fun for you and affordable. No one will need to be revived by smelling salts if you show up with the same outfit for both formal evenings (and hey if they do, it will be a GREAT story for you to share on the boards! :) )

Have a great cruise!

Here is my $ .02 worth.

Just curious, how is it you are so knowledgable about the finances of people you have never met?

On another thread (about a Ft. Lauderdale Hotel) Fang just posted

I agree about priceline. I have gotten some very good deals.

If you get a good deal on a hotel without a free shuttle, I would take it in a minute, as a taxi to the pier, from any hotel we have stayed at, has not cost that much.?

Well Fang, Surely, if a family can afford a cruise, they can afford to pay posted rates for a hotel and a limo to the pier!

I just checked my charter on a private jet. It works great because the jet does not get to the airport until late evening, so I am going to charter my Hummer limo for the first day (so its there when my family gets to the airport and we don't have to wait), we are going to stay at the Ritz, the Presidential Suite with three bedrooms ( although its only my wife and I).

Dinner will be in our suite with a private chef. I have asked for at least a pound of Truffles to be served with our dinner. What the heck, we are on vacation!

I have just upgraded my reservations to the Grand Suite. Oh well, at least the second day I rent the limo for, I know it will be there, because I have rented it for the entire day.

While I can get lunch in the Windjammer, the day of departure, no not me, I am going to Joes Stone Crab and buy everyone lunch, why not its only money!!

Best of all, I don't have to worry about parking my car, because I have a Limo!

Luckly, I have a new, tailer made tuxedo for every night, I sure don't want to be dressed down.

Life is good, as long as my stock options work, I hope.

I just checked my charter on a private jet. It works great because the jet does not get to the airport until late evening, so I am going to charter my Hummer limo for the first day (so its there when my family gets to the airport and we don't have to wait), we are going to stay at the Ritz, the Presidential Suite with three bedrooms ( although its only my wife and I).

Dinner will be in our suite with a private chef. I have asked for at least a pound of Truffles to be served with our dinner. What the heck, we are on vacation!

I have just upgraded my reservations to the Grand Suite. Oh well, at least the second day I rent the limo for, I know it will be there, because I have rented it for the entire day.

While I can get lunch in the Windjammer, the day of departure, no not me, I am going to Joes Stone Crab and buy everyone lunch, why not its only money!!

Best of all, I don't have to worry about parking my car, because I have a Limo!

Luckly, I have a new, tailer made tuxedo for every night, I sure don't want to be dressed down.

Life is good, as long as my stock options work, I hope.

Wow! And you got all of this from Priceline!?! How much did you bid?

Sorry, I just have to chime in, don't waste extra money on kids clothes unless you want to buy the picture. If your kids aren't comfortable getting dressed up - who cares. My 10 year old wore a collared shirt and looked fine. Oh...he wore sneakers too! We got no dirty looks, he was clean and most of all happy! All you that like to get all gussied up - good for you. I'm just not one of them.

IAs far as the poster who suggested that dressing kids up and introducing them to escagot, they have never met my DD :). She has 5 foods that she eats. And trust me that is not from me not trying to get to taste more. We tried cheese fondue a couple weeks ago and one tiny bite was it.

I was the poster who suggested the escargot since it would be fun to watch. You just never know what a kid will eat when given the chance. What a wonderful place to try something without it costing any extra (from what you've already paid) and you can order something else if they don't like it. One of our grandkids will eat (ok, try) anything. One of our kids (15 yr old) loves herring but won't touch a hot dog. Our 26 year old still won't eat anything that touches a vegetable...everyone is different. When I was 5, I loved seafood and still do...don't really care for steak though. Anyway, watching anyone eat escargot is fun... That was my original point. ;) Have a fun cruise!

Lind&Jeff

I will trade you the herring eater for my hotdog addict :)

It's tough when you are a foodie and your kid won't even eat BBQ Ribs cause they are "wierd". Fortunatly he is only 25% of my kids and the rest eat anything, to the extent that my in-laws call my youngest, "Trash Can". Poor kid. I hope they stop that before he turns two.

My DD would eat ANYTHING until she was about two-and-a-half, ever since then she is what her pre-school teacher called a "selective eater".

My DH was labeled a fussy eater as a child. He's outgrown it. I came from a "you must eat EVERYTHING on your plate" before you are excused family (where mom fixed the plates) - I thought I was a fussy eater, but it turns out my mom was just a lousy cook! We give our DD a lot of latitude and it seems to work out ok. She's now at the age that at home if she doesn't like what we cook, she can make herself a PB or cheese sandwich. Battles over food preferences are not worth the effort!

Lind&Jeff

I will trade you the herring eater for my hotdog addict :)

I would take you up on the offer because that would leave more herring for me ;) but then because of the age of your I would have to go through those preteen years again. DD is 15 and a sophomore that means in 2008/2009 we can start cruisin full time!

I think we will to one formal night for the kids. It was easy to find a nice dress for DD for only 10$. As for my DS, I might try ebay, but first I will see if anyone I knows has something he can borrow. As far as the picture goes, because the whole family is going (us, brother and his kids, and parents), we will probably get one. We did one nice picture on the disney cruise a few years back.

But once we hit the dining room, I might be wrapping large napkins around my kids necks and in their laps. Even at their age, they still can get food on themselves :). The other formal night, its dinner with the kids club all the way ...

OP

Archived