CDC and American Cruise Line

rfkeith10

This may be a stupid question but does any one know if American Cruise line is subject to the same CDC rules that the big cruise lines are following?  I thought I heard or read that because of the size of the ships and number of passengers onboard they were not under the same protocols.  Anybody have knowledge of such a thing?  Perhaps I was having another senior moment...

I was also under that impression so thought would be safe scheduling ACL.  No specific reason was given for March cruise being cancelled and it was one where day excursions were mostly outside (parks, wildlife refuge, etc) so not so dependent on places like museums or galleries.

Would have been helpful to know more details.

The CDC requirements apply regardless of size of ship, to any passenger vessel carrying more than 250 pax and crew, with an itinerary over 24 hours.  If ACL wants to limit their pax load and crew to less than 250, then they would not be subject to the CDC conditional sail order restrictions, but would be subject to local port restrictions.  They would also be subject to the new mask mandate, both the interstate transportation one a few days ago, as well as the new one on Friday that applies to all ships.

• Like 1

Chengkp is an expert on this type of thing. Assuming his 250 is an accurate number(and I believe it is), here is whereACL stands. Largest passenger capacity Of any ACL ship is 190 and they have said they will be at 75% capacity during Covid, so maximum of 143 passengers. I found online a crew size of 52, so they will be under 200 bodies onboard.  Even with full capacity all their ships are under 250.

Thanks to all that responded.  I appreciate everyone taking the time to post.  I guess my reason for asking the question is wanting some idea as to whether ACL is going to have the same issues facing the larger cruise lines when it comes to resuming their operations this year. Lately I have heard that ACL was cancelling a few of their early March sailings and I am just trying to get an idea as to what the rest of the season looks like for ACL.

Hope to see you all on a cruise sometime this year!!

9 hours ago, BaumD said:

Chengkp is an expert on this type of thing. Assuming his 250 is an accurate number(and I believe it is), here is where ACL stands. Largest passenger capacity Of any ACL ship is 190 and they have said they will be at 75% capacity during Covid, so maximum of 143 passengers. I found online a crew size of 52, so they will be under 200 bodies onboard.  Even with full capacity all their ships are under 250.

Thanks for this.  Thought I was right about it not having to worry re: number of people on board.  Guess there were other reasons that weren't shared.  Having never sailed with them, I'm disappointed but now won't have a chance to experience them until 2022.  Will look forward to reports from those of you who sail with them in 2021.

13 hours ago, Suitcasefull said:

Thanks for this.  Thought I was right about it not having to worry re: number of people on board.  Guess there were other reasons that weren't shared.  Having never sailed with them, I'm disappointed but now won't have a chance to experience them until 2022.  Will look forward to reports from those of you who sail with them in 2021.

We have sailed with ACL six times (next scheduled with them for 19 September 2021). I guess you probably figured out that we are than satisfied with their product. We are keeping fingers, toes, whatever, crossed that this one sails as scheduled.  Of course, we are also still awaiting confirmation of our vaccination schedule. 🙄

NRayH

NRayH

As Chekp said, CDC rules don’t apply, but local port rules do. Probably 90%+ of the ports that ACL cruises to are NOT the same ports used by the mega cruise lines. I would expect that itineraries will change as either states or local ports deny docking to these smaller ships. If to many stops are cancelled, it may result in many cruises being cancelled.

10 hours ago, Ray in NH said:

.We are keeping fingers, toes, whatever, crossed that this one sails as scheduled.  Of course, we are also still awaiting confirmation of our vaccination schedule. 🙄

Surely your September trip will go!  Certainly hope things open up by then!  I'll be anxious to cruise with them in the future.  Good luck on vaccine; had my first one!