Getting Teens Involved In Their Groups

butterfly2

I have a 12 year old boy and 15 year old girl. To insure a good trip for them with meeting new friends and such, What are some must do activites for them in that age group? Is there a night where they eat with their group? One night we want to go to Portifinos but they would not like to join us there?

Good question, and here is what we've done to assure our daughter (now 16) enjoys being a part of the family while we cruise.

1. Involve them in the daily agenda. Make sure they have input in shore excursions, shopping stops, activites aboard, etc.

2. Give them a inexpensive digital camera. This has been a great addition for our teenager, and we finally get a few more images of us together. She takes an active part in the editing and final DVD we burn after the cruise.

3. Give them set spending limits per day to spend as they see fit. We have done this aboard and for post-shore excursion shopping while in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Nassau. She knows it's her money.

4. Allow them some freedom aboard. We a curfew, and she tells us where on the ship she plans to go. We check on her, as kids respect what you inspect.

5. iPod. One word. Allow them to purchase a suitable Mp3 player well in advance and load some new music from iTunes to listen to while aboard. Kids are not interested in the constant announcements regarding the belly flop contest and lido (Speedo?) deck activites.

6. Let them sleep in a day. Trust me, high schoolers in PAP classes work their butts off, and a vacation day that allows them to nap for 1/2 a day is a great reward.

7. Take a map of the route of the trip, and chart where you are going in relationship to home. Mine love that.

8. Show them some photos of the ship and ports you access via the web prior to the cruise. We do a PowerPoint slide show to review at will prior to our cruise, and the excitement grows prior to departure.

9. Give them a task. We let our daughter handle the check-in at the Galveston dock when she was 14. She knew what documents we had, the staff treated her like an adult and she enjoyed the responsibility

10. Finally, don't stop the parade to pick up a dime. Kids dump sodas, drop hotdogs and more. Laugh with them versus laughing at them or scolding them for simple mistakes.

Memories from vacations last forever. We can hardly wait for the Splendour to sail in a couple of weeks.

Lee in Houston

Are the 12 and 15 year olds in the same group?

Did you ever worry about who these "other Kids" were that your kids will be hanging with? Im just being a worry wart, and with such a big ship and the Bad press Ive been reading, Im sorta worried about losing touch with the kids. Also worried about bad people that could be lurking near rest rooms, or some other area. Ive been on 8 other cruises but only one other with my kids and they were so young that I never let them on their own. Ive got to relax. Any ideas at how to keep tract of the kids that could ease my mind?

I have a 12 year old boy and 15 year old girl. To insure a good trip for them with meeting new friends and such, What are some must do activites for them in that age group? Is there a night where they eat with their group? One night we want to go to Portifinos but they would not like to join us there?

You were the one who inquired about them "meeting new friends". I feel as though you're criticizing the advice that you asked for. For the record, I'm very protective of my children, teach at the middle school they attend and have more information about more areas of their lives than most parents have, and would never let them run around without me knowing where they are and who they are with.

Now, of course, I met the "other kids" and their parents. Families of similar age children tend to have similar interests onboard the ship. They were at the pool the next morning and many days after, the shows, and at dinner. The parents grew into a group that would stop and exchange pleasantries. On that very critical first night, my daughter was not to leave the kids club and we checked in often (sometimes she saw us, sometimes we observed and moved on) just to see how things were going. After that, we always knew where she was, who she was with, and it was expected and accepted that we would check in at various times (which we did!) She was also reminded of the safe practices we've instilled in her over the years. Lastly, she was never alone and was always with the group (including meeting up with us at curfew.)

Your children will not be in the same age group. I know your 12 year old will be in the 12-14 year olds. Perhaps, the staff will allow your older child to be with the younger group - they rarely allow the younger kids to move up to the older group. If you're too worried about the "other kids" or the lurkers, then keep your kids with you. Otherwise, have some faith in the things you've instilled in your kids over the years (although I would give them a refresher talk! :) )

~Debbi

Hey Debbi

Thanks for your advice. And it was good advice! I sure didnt mean to sound critical of it. Yes, I do want them to make friends, and to have a great time. I guess its just all the BAD stuff Iv'e been reading about missing people on ships etc. that makes me a little nervous to be relaxed when they are out there on their own. You are totally right about me trusting them to know whats right. They are very good kids. Well behaved, straight A students, NEVER give me any trouble. I like the advice about checking in every once in a while. Im sorry if you took offence by the way my questions were asked. Im a Mom who wants Fun. Just a little nervous. Ill get over it:D

Thanks

Hi,

Im 16 so I know from experience :) Make sure they go to the first meeting on the first night, its usually at around 8 pm or so. This is when everyone introduces themselves to everyone else. Also, let them stay up late so they can participate in the later activities too. Let them eat with the group on some nights, unless you want to share dinner time with them. If they do get involved with other kids, than you will most likely want them to come to dinner as you wont see them anytime else on the ship lol. There are so many fun things like the scavanger hunt, babe search, hide and go seek, water slide sessions, rockwall/mini golf/pingpong competitions, pool parties, dances, karaoke, dj lessons, etc. Make sure they dont miss a thing!!

Butterfly,

No problem....I'm guilty of overreacting. I, too, was concerned prior to our cruise in December. I was actually happy that my 11 year old son decided to hang with us, but knew my daughter would want to meet other kids her age. It really did work out very well! She still emails the friends she made onboard. You'll know your comfort level once you're on the ship and will make the best decisions for your family! My son did participate in some of the daytime activities, but found most kids were younger than him in his age group. Have a great cruise!

~Debbi

Hey, this will by my 15 year old daughter's 5th cruise. We never cruise without our walkie talkie radios. That way we can always talk and make sure everything is ok.

I have never been on a Voyager class ship before, so not sure if they will work as well as on Carnival or not...we'll see.

Archived