Back from Triumph...any questions?

moonvine

Just back from Triumph. All in all a great cruise other than numerous ground transport issues, some my fault and some not. I managed to get back in one piece though, which is the important thing.

Feel free to ask any questions you have!.:D

I haven't written a review yet. I just got back at midnight.

My cabin was on the Riviera deck.

I have never been on the Lido deck. I always end up in the bowels of the ship.:D Most people end up going to the Lido deck at least several times a day though.

I did the Western itinerary...

Have you written a review yet? What deck was your cabin on? We're on the Lido and am not sure if that's good or not. Did you do the eastern or western itinerary?

Thanks for the info!

We were on the Lido deck from November 26 to December 10. We loved it! A short walk down the hall and the food and cofee were right there. We usually filled our thermos at night and next morning sat out on the balcony and enjoyed our morning coffee and cigarette (yes, we smoke. Let the flaming begin about smoking on the balcony we spent that extra money for.)

Anyway, we found it to be very convienent.

We're doing the eastern side. Did you have problems getting on/off the ship? What kind of transport problems did you have?

No problems getting on/off the ship.

Going to FLL, I was delayed for several hours due to my plane having a broken windshield. I left my house at 5 am and did not get to FLL until 3:30 pm. This is a great argument for leaving a day early. I don't like the way the car rentals work in FLL (after getting your luggage you have to haul it all onto a bus and be transported to another building where you get your car). I don't care for driving in Miami (those folk are crazy) and probably will not do it again. I dropped off the rental car in Miami and got a free shuttle to the port from Alamo.

Coming back, I did not make arrangements to get to FLL from the port and this cost me dearly. I called the shuttle services and they will not come to the Miami port without a reservation. I couldn't get a transfer because I had no cash, so I had to get a taxi, have the taxi drive me to an ATM to get cash, drop me off at MIA, Supershuttle to FLL. I spent $60 when I could have spent $20 on the Carnival transfer. I believe Carnival transfers are the least hassle, cheapest way to get around. I was surprised because normally this is not true of Carnival excursions.

Then I waited for hours in FLL...my flight was delayed again...I got to Dallas with 5 minutes until my flight was going to take off. Somehow I made it, but Supershuttle wanted me to wait an hour and a half..so I took a taxi, wasting some more money. :( My fault, did not have a Supershuttle reservation for the return trip.

We were on the Lido deck from November 26 to December 10. We loved it! A short walk down the hall and the food and cofee were right there. We usually filled our thermos at night and next morning sat out on the balcony and enjoyed our morning coffee and cigarette (yes, we smoke. Let the flaming begin about smoking on the balcony we spent that extra money for.)

Anyway, we found it to be very convienent.

Well, I smoke too so it won't start with me. :D We're in 9211. Anywhere close to your cabin? Was the motion of the ship more pronounced there?

What shore excursions did you do?

In Cozumel I did a mainland excursion through Carnival to Xcaret. Xcaret is a beautiful place and I love it, but I would not do this again. The tender is 45 minutes. We had 5 hours in Xcaret (nowhere CLOSE to enough) and we had to rush back to the tender only to sit in it for an hour. Although we had to leave Xcaret at 1:30 we did not get back on the ship until close to 4. It cost $89 when last year it cost $60 and I do not understand the price difference. We did have a very good guide, Casper, who was very knowledgeable. I feel really sorry for those going to Tulum, I doubt they got more than 1 or 2 hours there.

In Grand Cayman we used Nativeway Watersports for the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion. $60 including lunch, and only 12 of us on the boat (and the guides were hot, which is always a big bonus);)

We first went to see the stingrays and kissed, held, fed them and got a massage from them. We learned a little about the stingrays such as how to tell male from female.

It was too rough to go to the reef, so we went to Coral Gardens. My mask leaked (I really need to get my own). One of the guides traded with me and that worked better. Then we got back in the boat and had a freshwater shower. We got to choose what we wanted for lunch and rode to Rum Point Beach. By the time we got to the beach our lunch orders were ready. We ate and swam and relaxed for a while, then back to the ship.

The best tour IMHO was in Jamaica. We went with Peat Taylor and we were the only ones on the bus, so the 4 of us had our own private tour of Jamaica. We climbed the waterfall, went to a Jamaican schoolhouse, went to Fern Gully, went tubing, and went shopping. All for $35 per person (the tubing was $20 additional). I love Jamaica..all the men call me Princess.;)

Well' date=' I smoke too so it won't start with me. :D We're in 9211. Anywhere close to your cabin? Was the motion of the ship more pronounced there?[/quote']

We were in 9241 (7 doors away.) The Triumph is a large enough ship that you don't normally feel an awful lot of motion. They did have a problem with the stabalizers the last couple of days but it still wasn't bad.

Hey Moonvine, some people had concerns on earlier posts about getting back to the ship from nativeways excursion, what time did you get back to the ship? And what time did she sail? Was there time for shopping before the excursion or after? Since we will be sailing on the Triumph I figure you are the best qualified to answer, as you were on the same ship.

Thanks

Hey Moonvine, some people had concerns on earlier posts about getting back to the ship from nativeways excursion, what time did you get back to the ship? And what time did she sail? Was there time for shopping before the excursion or after? Since we will be sailing on the Triumph I figure you are the best qualified to answer, as you were on the same ship.

Thanks

I had no problems getting back to the ship after Nativeways excursion. We told them what time we wanted to be back (45 min before last tender) and they had us back at that time. There was a little time for shopping before and after (and Rays Reef and Rum Point is their longest excursion I believe), but there really are no bargains in Cayman, partially due to the exchange rate. I didn't shop afterwards, just got back on the ship.

How was the weather first day at sea? Was it warm enough to be in the pool?

Probably, but I never get in the pools - I don't like salt water pools. It was a little rainy. It also rained on one sea day, but all the port days were sunny.

There have been a number of post lately of people unhappy with the food on the Triumph. Largest complaints were breakfast and lunch.

What did you think?

Thanks

Kevin from Mpls

I actually thought it was a big step up from the food on the Ecstasy. Breakfast and lunch were good to very good. Dinner was WONDERFUL. I didn't have anything I didn't care for, and I'm pretty picky.

There have been a number of post lately of people unhappy with the food on the Triumph. Largest complaints were breakfast and lunch.

What did you think?

Thanks

Kevin from Mpls

Kevin -

We were on the same cruise as Moonvine. I agree that the food was good. I thought that there were lots of options. My favorite is still the "New York Deli" - the roast beef with a little fresh fruit or potato salad does it for me....Ymmmmmmm.

Dinner was the same Carnival menu that we have had our last several cruises. There is always a pasta, fish, chicken, beef and vegetarian option. I always got what I ordered - prepared as I requested. When I ordered beef rare - I got it rare, which sometimes has been an issue. On 2 occasions my BIL could not decide on which entree and the waiter brought him both - no questions asked. The waiter often brought multiple desserts for us to try, as well.

I do have to say that the food - in general - is not of the same quality as when we first started cruising. I think that this is one place that Carnival has made "cutbacks" - which is what other posters may be referring to when they mention the quality of the food. The food and service are good - but in my opionion it is not outstanding. But I think that is what happens when you serve that many people 3 + meals a day.

But we all - there were 8 of us - enjoyed the food and loved the cruise. We would all recommend the Truimph and her Western itinerary.

I have a few Triumph questions for those past cruisers.

How are the shows and the entertainment on the Triumph?

Do they have any specialty Deck parties like Hawaiian nights, etc.?

How are the drinks?

Did you ever notice if they make Fried Eggs for you on the Buffet or if they ever had Blueberry Pancakes on the Buffet or in the Dining Room for breakfast?

How is the babysitting service at night? Has anyone experienced any iees

If anyone has any of the Carnival Capers for the week or dinner menus for the week and can fax them to me, I would greatly appreciate it. My fax number is 781 891 9072. Thank You very much.

Elena Madden

They had a GREAT magic show last week. Kevin and Caruso. I loved it so much I bought their CD.

I also saw a hypnotist who was ok. I don't care for adult comedy, so I didn't go to those.

They had a Mexican late night buffet, which I didn't go to because I was asleep. They also had a Super Bowl party with little finger foods. And of course they have the Grand Buffet with the ice carvings and fruit and veggies made into sculptures.

I think you can get eggs made any way in the dining room, but I don't really eat fried eggs I believe the pancakes were plain.

I have no idea about babysitting. No kids.

Can anyone comment on how the Triumph looks since she's been refurbed? I was booking yesterday with a PVP, and she mentioned that she had been in for a few little things last year (2005). Can anyone comment on that, or what has changed for that matter?

Also, we sailed aboard the Victory two years ago and wondered if the two ships were truly identical in offerings.

A few weeks ago (Dec 12-18, 2005) 8 of us made a return trip to the Triumph. We love this ship. The crew is wonderful, the food fantastic and the shows are fun. The linnens are soft and white.

Our group is ages 65-30's and we had a freaking blast! This was our 6th Carnival cruise and second on the Triumph. We have sailed on the Victory as well.

I do believe that all experiences in life have to do with expectations. Expect to stand in lines to get on and off. Expect to forget something somwhere. Expect to have a bad meal, a bad show or slow service. Expect to meet dull people. Expect some bad weather and some rough seas. Expect some travel delays and some missing luggage.

If you understand some things are beyond any control then Expect the trials of life and EXPECT to relish in the wonders that life holds.

On Triumph, the Victory or for that matter any ship in the Carnival fleet, Expect to have a great time, You will not be dissapointed! It won't always be prefect but it sure beats a day at WORK.

I have a few Triumph questions for those past cruisers.

How are the shows and the entertainment on the Triumph?

Do they have any specialty Deck parties like Hawaiian nights, etc.?

How are the drinks?

Did you ever notice if they make Fried Eggs for you on the Buffet or if they ever had Blueberry Pancakes on the Buffet or in the Dining Room for breakfast?

How is the babysitting service at night? Has anyone experienced any iees

If anyone has any of the Carnival Capers for the week or dinner menus for the week and can fax them to me, I would greatly appreciate it. My fax number is 781 891 9072. Thank You very much.

Elena Madden

We used the night babysitting once. It was fine. For a price of a beer :D 6 bucks an hour up to 10pm to 3am. They'll issue a beeper that you will need to carry with you. They use it to. My daughter said she wanted to ask he mommy a question and they paged us. Good to know though...

Archived