Taking liquor home on airplane

cterry

Thanks for all your help but I still don't know HOW you get it home. Do you carry it on? do you pack it in your suitcase? Can you just put it in a tote bag to carry on?

thanks again

Our friend packed 3 bottles of rum in his suitcase on the way home. All three bottles broke from rough handling even though they were pretty well packed. Suitcase was actually dripping rum when he picked it up at baggage claim! I don't recommend packing them in your suitcase.

My husband and I usually bring home a box of 4 bottles each...and carry it on the airplane with us ( in addition to 1 carry on each), placing it in the overhead compartments. The first time we asked our flight attendants on our flight down and they said it was OK. I bring bubble wrap, duct tape, and those large 2 gallon size zip lock bags. Once the liquor is delivered to our rooms we bubble wrap each bottle and ziplock it. we also tape the box for extra stregnth. We've never had a problem and are careful carrying the box that we don't hit doorframes , etc. We also use the bubble wrap for breakable souvenirs, RCCL specialty glasses, etc.

Many, if not all, of the larger liquor stores at your ports of calls have boxes specially made for packaging and carrying liquor. The liquor shop onboard your ship will have them also.

We carry our liquor on the plane as carry on, either in one of these special boxes or carefully wrapped in bubble wrap inside our regular carry on bags.

Dianne

From RobNC2001;

"Our friend packed 3 bottles of rum in his suitcase on the way home. All three bottles broke from rough handling even though they were pretty well packed. Suitcase was actually dripping rum when he picked it up at baggage claim! I don't recommend packing them in your suitcase."

I have seen much worse than that when people packed it in their luggage. Think twice before you chance ruining all of your clothes for a few cheaper bottles you can get at home.

This is from the American Airlines website. I am almost certain that they are all the same.

Alcoholic beverages in retail packages may be checked as baggage or carried on board, but are limited to five liters per passenger providing that following conditions are met:

• The receptacle (bottle, can, etc.) does not exceed 5 liters.
  • The alcohol does not exceed 70 percent by volume (140 proof).

Alcoholic beverages under 24 percent by volume (most beers and wines) are not restricted. Opened containers are only allowed if they are re-closed and packed properly. Customs regulations by country may limit the amount of alcohol you may be transport. Please check ahead of time to ensure that you are in compliance with these limits.

Be aware that they might take your carryon luggage if your plane is full. I had our bottles packed in our carryon last month and they told me I had to check them because the plane was full. I told the lady at the gate that I had liquor packed in the suitcase. She wasn't to pleased that I had liquor in there, but I wasn't planning on having them check my luggage. It was packed in bubble wrap, and had water socks and flip flops around it for protection. I don't think I will try to bring anymore home with me in the future.

If I was bringing it home I think I would use the boxes that they supply you with when you buy your liquor.

Thanks for all your help but I still don't know HOW you get it home. Do you carry it on? do you pack it in your suitcase? Can you just put it in a tote bag to carry on?

thanks again

I take bubble wrap and duct tape and wrap the bottles then put them in our carry on luggage - we have also just wrapped the bottles in T-shirts but did have one leak -so now I use the bubble wrap.

Archived