AOS or Serenade or Destiny or Crown Princess??? Help!

Ok, looking to book a holiday sailing - we're down to AOS, Serenade or Carnival Destiny with an outside chance of Crown Princess. Yes, we've sailed out of Puerto Rico before during the holidays, so, we know what to expect and yes, we will be going down early. And, yes, we're positive we want the Southern Caribbean.

Currently group size is 8 cabins. Age ranges from 18 months to 75 years old at the time of sailing. All but 2 of our traveling party have cruised many times before... Problems: fussy eaters among us (make that very fussy) and we want to be sure religous services will be held for Christmas (we're Catholic).

We like large ships with lots to do, we like the itinerary on the ships mentioned, and, we like good quality food. It's been a long, long time since we've sailed on Destiny and, the recent reviews aren't exactly glowing. We were considering Crown Princess but, it is currently waitlist for the main dining room and, Personal Choice is NOT for us.

Some of us are considering doing a "semi" back to back. For example, if we book Serenade for Christmas, we would take a hotel in San Juan for 1 night and then get on Adventure for New Years. Anyone ever done this type of back to back? If so, were you successful? Would you do it again?

So, looking for feedback please!! Any info helps

Thanks!

If you only choose one, I would do Adventure since you said you want a large ship - and it is definitely the largest and there are tons of stuff for people of all ages. The Serenade would be my close second. I'm like you I wouldn't want to do Personal Choice but others would and Crown Princess will be brand new. Out of all the ships, the only one I would completely discount is Destiny because from what I've read she cannot compare in any way to the other ships.

I personally looked at doing the Back to Back Serenade to Adventure and think it would be a great idea myself.

I agree on the AOS. I'm sure nobody will get bored, and there's activities for the whole age range. As far as religious services, that's one thing I would check with the cruise line or your travel agent...

Regarding back to back, I have clients who just did it in January, somewhat differently. They took the 5-day Zenith out of Fort Lauderdale and the Century out of Miami the day the returned from the Zenith. Certainly a good option if you have the time, and you can spend your day in San Juan or take an excursion to the jungle.

Regards,

Enrique

I did the Serenade Southern Caribbean last Thanksgiving. It was the BEST caribbean cruise I've ever been on. The itinerary is fabulous, and the "show" that the captain gives you of the Pitons in St Lucia is incredible. Also, the last sea day, they cruise VERY close to Monserrat, St Kitts, Nevis, St Eustasus and San Saba...abosolutely beautiful.

I did the Serenade Southern Caribbean last Thanksgiving. It was the BEST caribbean cruise I've ever been on. The itinerary is fabulous, and the "show" that the captain gives you of the Pitons in St Lucia is incredible. Also, the last sea day, they cruise VERY close to Monserrat, St Kitts, Nevis, St Eustasus and San Saba...abosolutely beautiful.

Ditto@

I don't know how important the ports are to you (they are very important to me) but I always look at cruisecal.com before booking. Enter the date your ship will arrive at a particular port and see what other ships are there that day. (check each itinerary on the cruise lines website and enter "12/22/2006" and "St. Maarten" for example). I'll always pick a "less crowded" port cruise. Some of these ports have five and six cruise ships there in a single day. No thanks...

My DH and I just got off Serenade 2/11. Although smaller than AOS, we loved it. We have cruised the larger ships in the past so there was a bit getting used to at first --- but we managed. Like a previous poster mentioned, the Captain takes you on an island tour your last day. We were priveleged to see a significant volcano eruption on Montserrat on Friday. Spectacular!!! The other islands in the chain are also beautiful. You won't go wrong with either!!!! Have fun!

We were trying to decide between the Serenade and the Crown for next Feb. The islands are the same but a different order. Does anyone have an opinion of one over the other? We cruised the Serenade in Alaska nice ship, good food.

cina13

This past November we did a back 2 back on 2 ships. First week we did the Golden, 2nd week we did the Serenade. I thought the Serenade was a nicer ship with all the glass. I also liked the food, and staff better on the Serenade. The Crown is similar to the Golden. But I would sail Princess again if the itinerary and price was favorable. other wise I am sticking with RCI!

Archived