Best way to see the island of St John?

Natalia

Trying to decide on what to do with our day in St Thomas and am seriously considering taking the ferry over to St John. Once there, what is the best way to see the island? We will want to see the beaches and maybe snorkel a bit but our main interest is a tour of the island.

I think I read somewhere about renting a car there, any one do this? If so, what companies are available and are they right at Cruz Bay? Are there taxi's for hire at the ferry dock (for an island tour) or is it something that should be pre-arranged?

http://www.wiol.com/st-john/services.html

From St. Thomas to St. John:

Redhook Ferry to Cruz Bay (20 min, $3 per person) Hourly 7am to Midnight. Downtown Ferry to Cruz Bay (45 min, $7 per person) 9am, 11am, Noon, 1pm, 3pm, 5:30pm, 7pm.

From St. John to St. Thomas:

Cruz Bay Ferry to Redhook (20 min, $3 per person) Hourly 6am to 11pm Cruz Bay Ferry to Downtown (45 min, $7 per person) 7:15am, 9:15am, 10:15am, 11:15am, 1:15pm, 3:45pm, 5:15pm

Redhook is on the East end of St Thomas which will require a taxi ride but it will also allow you to go to Sapphire Beach which is a living post card!

I, too am interested in an island tour of St Johns. no way will I rent a car, especially if they drive like they do in St Thomas...lol no thank you.

Any tour companies listed online?

cheaper by cab?

We've now been twice and had absolutely no problem in getting one of those open-air type touring taxis for a tour. When you get off the ferry you will see them, no way to miss them. I don't think you need to arrange this in advance unless you want a really "special super-duper" tour or a private tour.

Great lunch spots: Woody's (small and very casual, but good food) and Rhumb Lines.

Fantastic Dinner restaurant: Chateau Bordeaux at the top of Bordeaux mountain, absolutely awesome

We've now been twice and had absolutely no problem in getting one of those open-air type touring taxis for a tour. When you get off the ferry you will see them, no way to miss them. I don't think you need to arrange this in advance unless you want a really "special super-duper" tour or a private tour.

Can anyone post representative prices? Thanks!

I second the motion for lunch at Woodys !!!!

Everyone got hungry while at Trunk and wanted to get snacks at snack bar......noooooo I said Wait ....... (we headed to St. John first in the morning and back to St. T in the afternoon)

Best hamburger I have had in a long time and really really cold beer !!!!!! Not much on ambience tho.... little place - not fancy. But right there near ferry so convenient too.

The most fun we ever had was when we rented a jeep right at Havensight Mall, drove to Red Hook, took the "car barge" to St. John, then could come or go at our own pace. It was the first time I'd ever seen the "back" side of the island.

Highly recommended!

One thing with renting a car on St. Thomas and taking the car ferry to St. John is that you have to be extremely careful about timing. The car ferries have a limited schedule, and the other ferries do NOT accomodate cars. Make sure you plan your ferries crossings in advance--and do not miss them. (It's one of the reasons we didn't rent a car.)

beachchick

• 2 weeks later...

Other reasons it's better to take the taxi tour:

1. Everybody is free to take pictures at their leisure.

2. Narration - you have somebody who can answer questions and point things out - like iguanas that you might not notice if you're not keen-eyed.

3. Everybody expects them to stop on the road, so they drive more carefully behind the taxis. A private vehicle stopping to admire view/take pictures is more likely to cause accidents.

4. You won't get lost!

Can you recall how much the rental was at Havensight and then how much for the carbarge from redhook to st. john. Is it easy to get around on st. john with driving?

I don't recall exactly - but it seems like it was around 40-50 bucks for the rental and maybe 20 or so for the car barge.

Driving was very easy on St. John.

Archived