Victoria/Seattle Ferry Schedules

bookbabe

Google has failed me, so I’m hoping that someone here on CC still has a file of old papers or the electronic equivalent.

I'm looking for the May 2019 (or any time during the usual Alaska cruise season) schedule for the ferries that run between Seattle and Victoria.  Or even vague memories of when you think they ran pre-covid.

My mom, who lives outside of Victoria, is joining us for an Alaska cruise in May 2022, and I was hoping for her to take the ferry across rather than having to deal with airports as an elderly solo travel rookie.  But, since the ferries haven’t been running, I have no idea if there’s one from Victoria to Seattle early enough for her to take it same day.  The only info I can find seems to suggest a Seattle-to-Victoria ferry in the morning and a return ferry in the evening, but I can’t find evidence of the reverse.

Anyone remember what the schedule was like in the Before Times?

Edited by bookbabe

• bookbabe changed the title to Victoria/Seattle Ferry Schedules

As someone who worked at Pier 91 (HAL, PCL, X, RCI & Carnival), I recall waiting for a group of Australian passengers to arrive for their HAL cruise.  They were arriving from Victoria via ferry.  They were met by a tour bus that whisked them and their luggage to Pier 91.  I recall that those of us at the pier kept looking at our watches hoping that they arrived in time - I think it was a bit after 3 pm when  they arrived, but it was tight.  I think the only reason it worked out was that their bus was waiting at the ferry and quickly got them to Pier 91.

Please remember that even though the ships are scheduled to sail at 4 pm, passengers are expected to be on board by 3 PM.  Passengers arriving that late still have have to handle their own luggage, have documents checked, go through security screening and at least back in 2019 check-in to get their cabin key-card.  The gangway is usually pulled at 3:30/3:45pm, and once that is done no one gets on the ship.

So, unless the Victoria ferry is scheduled to arrive early afternoon in Seattle, I would recommend having your mom (and you from Toronto) arrive the day before.  It's just safer and less stressful.

(Note - if you are cruising NCL, they sail from Pier 66 which is walking distance from the Victoria ferry,)

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

As someone who worked at Pier 91 (HAL, PCL, X, RCI & Carnival), I recall waiting for a group of Australian passengers to arrive for their HAL cruise.  They were arriving from Victoria via ferry.  They were met by a tour bus that whisked them and their luggage to Pier 91.  I recall that those of us at the pier kept looking at our watches hoping that they arrived in time - I think it was a bit after 3 pm when  they arrived, but it was tight.  I think the only reason it worked out was that their bus was waiting at the ferry and quickly got them to Pier 91.

Please remember that even though the ships are scheduled to sail at 4 pm, passengers are expected to be on board by 3 PM.  Passengers arriving that late still have have to handle their own luggage, have documents checked, go through security screening and at least back in 2019 check-in to get their cabin key-card.  The gangway is usually pulled at 3:30/3:45pm, and once that is done no one gets on the ship.

So, unless the Victoria ferry is scheduled to arrive early afternoon in Seattle, I would recommend having your mom (and you from Toronto) arrive the day before.  It's just safer and less stressful.

(Note - if you are cruising NCL, they sail from Pier 66 which is walking distance from the Victoria ferry,)

We are sailing NCL, yes, and DH and I are arriving on Friday for our Sunday departure.  It just adds another hotel room and another level of logistics to have mom arrive early too, so I’d hoped she could just do a taxi from the ferry straight to the ship.

Wonder if the Australians you mention above had only flown in that day, which might account for their late arrival?  In my dream world, I was hoping there would be an early morning ferry that would have mom at the pier in Seattle by noon, but I have this feeling she’ll have to come the day before.

Think I might switch hotels to the Marriott, and book her a room too, just in case.  That sounds like it would make the logistics much easier, if the ferry and our hotel are all within walking distance of the port.  Our original plan had us staying at the Arctic Club, but it’s a bit further away and they won’t do a single night reservation over that weekend for some reason.

Thanks for the info, it’s helpful.  

The Australians had been on an extended tour which included the Canadian Rockies.  They spent time in Victoria and traveled by ferry to Seattle.  I believe after the cruise they were flying to California, and then home.  It is not unusual for us to meet Australians around retirement age to be on this extended tour/itinerary - the Canadian Rockies are a big draw.

Re the Arctic Club, the US will celebrate Memorial Day on Monday May 30, 2022, so due to the three day weekend the Arctic Club may not want to do one night reservations.

As for other hotels, the Edgewater Hotel is right there on the water and very near the pier, but it is pricey.

If you want to continue to search about the ferry, try Victoria Clipper - that might narrow your search.

Looks like in May 2019, you could leave Victoria at 11:30 am on a Friday and arrive in Seattle at 2:15 pm.   You will find the 2019 schedule if you scroll down.

https://www.clippervacations.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Clipper_SummerPackages2019_USA_002_web.pdf#page=10&zoom=auto,-223,164

Timing is still on the tight side.  Hope this helps!

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Thanks 1

That’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I guess she’s coming to Seattle the day before, which means moving to the Marriott.  Edgewater was actually our original first choice, but it’s booked up too, or at least of any of the room types that would work for us.  Strangely, our cruise leaves May 8, so not anywhere near Memorial Day, and I thought I’d avoided any major holidays and such.  Ah well, the Marriott seems like it’s in a pretty good location, and the reviews are okay.

Thanks again for the schedule.

2 hours ago, bookbabe said:

That’s exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I guess she’s coming to Seattle the day before, which means moving to the Marriott.  Edgewater was actually our original first choice, but it’s booked up too, or at least of any of the room types that would work for us.  Strangely, our cruise leaves May 8, so not anywhere near Memorial Day, and I thought I’d avoided any major holidays and such.  Ah well, the Marriott seems like it’s in a pretty good location, and the reviews are okay.

Thanks again for the schedule.

Glad to help.  Hope the trip planning goes well, and that you have a great cruise!

• Thanks 1